-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sheep is very, very good. The "ambiance" of the moment certainly adds to the perceived quality. But with that removed and only the meat itself talking a lot of surprising things happen.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Sheep is very, very good. The "ambiance" of the moment certainly adds to the perceived quality. But with that removed and only the meat itself talking a lot of surprising things happen.

Kinda the condensed version of what a buddy told me of eating sheep ribs cooked over a fire like so many old stories mention. Let’s just say that it wasn’t nearly as good as it sounded in the books.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TheKid

Kinda the condensed version of what a buddy told me of eating sheep ribs cooked over a fire like so many old stories mention. Let’s just say that it wasn’t nearly as good as it sounded in the books.

Especially when you miss the part about cooking them there so you do not have to carry all that bone...

wink wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have always suspected that may have been a motive for those “decadent” willow roasted sheep rib meals on the mountainside. I’ve always been of the opinion that anything smaller than a moose doesn’t have enough meat over it’s ribs for me to want to freight them out.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
IME, that is often the only thing a guide knows how to cook! wink

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I took a decent bou bull about 10 days ago from the 40 Mile herd. Boneless meat delivered to 10th & M for freezing by actual weight was 127#.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I killed a big bull out in the Alphabet hills one year that was every bit the size of a spike bull elk. A couple years later I killed two big bulls on the slope that weren’t much if any bigger than a big buck mule deer. I don’t know about where you were hunting but I do know that mature bulls can be quite a bit bigger or smaller depending on which herd they’re from.

Never weighed the meat from any of them though. Was always too damn much of it when I was packing it out and cutting it up at home. And not nearly enough when we got finished eating it. Of course the slope trip where I ended up with 5 bulls in my freezer may have been a little much.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by TheKid
I killed a big bull out in the Alphabet hills one year that was every bit the size of a spike bull elk. A couple years later I killed two big bulls on the slope that weren’t much if any bigger than a big buck mule deer. I don’t know about where you were hunting but I do know that mature bulls can be quite a bit bigger or smaller depending on which herd they’re from.

Never weighed the meat from any of them though. Was always too damn much of it when I was packing it out and cutting it up at home. And not nearly enough when we got finished eating it. Of course the slope trip where I ended up with 5 bulls in my freezer may have been a little much.

Spot on. If I have to back pack 'em anywhere, I strip the. meat off everything except the legs. . I like to leave bone in on those- at least the upper bones.

The larger bulls I have killed on the Kenai are at minimum, 3 heavy loads- roughly 150-170 lbs.field dressed as above. Those I have killed out of the NWAH are much smaller. Those two we took this year and one years ago from the $0-Mile are somewhere in betwee. I understand Peary's Caribou, out of the Canadian far north (Baffin Island?) are about the size of a Labrador retriever.

IIRC, the largest caribou (caribou/reindeer?) ever taken came off Adak Island, and weighed in excess of 700 lbs. Or so I read somewhere.

But that might be in the category of those 2,000 lb moose you hear about every so often..... smile

Yeah, that 5/day thing is a little much, at least if one is solo. I did it. Once.

Just went back to check ADFG profile on caribou, which confirms what I oosted above..

Last edited by las; 09/23/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Caribou wins more often than not in blind taste tests against virtually all game animals. Last time we did it:
Caribou
Mtn goat
Moose
Dalls sheep...

Interesting, invite me next time. LOL.

In non blind tests, Dall sheep, moose, and the rest. really don't care for caribou, but then others like them better than moose and your blind test proves that.

Of course we all have different tastes.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I shot a nice Caribou North of the Brooks Range and quarterd and removed all edible meat. Dropped off in three game bags in Fairbanks locker picked up just over 100lbs, in hamburger 10% added fat in 1 lbs. packages and steaks as I did not want roasts or chucks.
It all fit into a Coleman 70qt cooler I bought at Walmart in Fairbanks.

Attached Images
image.jpeg (19.4 KB, 81 downloads)
Last edited by 1100RemingtonMan; 09/25/19.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (219DW, 1234, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 54 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,353
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.