Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
That's just one of the contradictions. Another being that Yahweh was a god of war, then a God of Love.

What part of Infinite do you not get?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Well,.....let's see. If time began as a consequence of the big bang,...it would seem to me that the age of the universe depends on where one might be in the universe. At the outer edge of the expansion it's somewhere around 1/10th of a second old. Outside of the edge of the expansion, it hasn't happened yet.

There is no "outer edge" or "outside" of the universe. Everything is inside it.

Upon what do you base this opinion? It sure does not come from science. Science is the result of observation.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by DBT
That's just one of the contradictions. Another being that Yahweh was a god of war, then a God of Love.

Not so. No contradiction here at all.

A man who loved his family.... provided for them, taught them and nurtured them could be seen as a man of love.

That same man could act and be seen as a man of war if someone was harming his family. So, he is both a man of love and a man of war.

Simple, yet you cannot see that in a God context.

All humans are supposed to be 'Gods children' - human parents do not kill their wayward children unless they themselves are killers. Plus you ignore verses which say God is good to all; ''But I tell you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you''

You can't have it both ways. Cherry picking does not resolve the contraction.

You are showing your ignorance of God's Word and using a mistake often used. God's Word tells us there are children of God and children of Satan.

Everyday Hunter
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
The story of Adam and Eve and the fall makes very little sense, except as a bronze age narrative to explain why the world is the way it is, the existence of hardship and suffering. A story borrowed from older cultures and adapted to suit the cultural and religious needs of the tribe of Israel.

What culture would predate the first man and woman? You choose to believe fairytales instead of sober history.

The point was that the Adam and Eve story was borrowed and adapted from older cultures, not that there was an actual Adam and Eve and Garden of Eden.

''Biblical myths are found mainly in the first 11 chapters of Genesis, the first book of the Bible. They are concerned with the creation of the world and the first man and woman, the origin of the current human condition, the primeval Deluge, the distribution of peoples, and the variation of languages. The basic stories are derived from the popular lore of the ancient Middle East; parallels can be found in the extant literature of the peoples of the area. The Mesopotamians, for instance, also knew of an earthly paradise such as Eden, and the figure of the cherubim....''

You accept what others tell you or from reading yourself about what is not true because you don't want The Bible to be true. You can't help yourself from doing it.

I've seen this statement made several times on various religious threads here "you don't want the Bible to be true", and it puzzles me a bit. Have you read the Book of Mormon? The Koran? The Vedas? Did you want them to be true? If you read any of them and didn't believe them, could you not also be accused of not wanting to believe them? In my opinion, someone reading the Bible or any book claiming truth for that matter, should not go in wanting to believe or disbelieve, but to be as unbiased as possible.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DBT

God must be married.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Interesting subject...................However imo, no scientist, astrophysicist or astronomer can accurately determine the age of the universe. And even if they could by whatever process, ie formula, theory or by whatever. then their findings would need further verification and scrutiny, which that process in and of itself would be inconclusive.

Several years ago two astronomy geeks, one from Harvard and one from Yale, estimated the universe to contain some 300 billion-trillion stars based on mapping and other criteria. In dealing with the universe such as age, distances, quantities and such, estimates can be the only guide. Earthly science by man cannot offer absolutes in certain categories where the universe is concerned..

An interesting #,,,,,,, 300 billion-trillion.......Take an area the size of the continental US (lower 48 states); about 3,119,500 square miles.........The next time you happen to be at your kitchen or bathroom sink, slow your flow down to a drip, drip, drip, drip..........300 billion-trillion individual droplets of tap water would fill an area the size of the lower 48 states,,,,,,approx 6,000 feet deep.........................

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by xxclaro

The point was that the Adam and Eve story was borrowed and adapted from older cultures, not that there was an actual Adam and Eve and Garden of Eden.

''Biblical myths are found mainly in the first 11 chapters of Genesis, the first book of the Bible. They are concerned with the creation of the world and the first man and woman, the origin of the current human condition, the primeval Deluge, the distribution of peoples, and the variation of languages. The basic stories are derived from the popular lore of the ancient Middle East; parallels can be found in the extant literature of the peoples of the area. The Mesopotamians, for instance, also knew of an earthly paradise such as Eden, and the figure of the cherubim....''

You accept what others tell you or from reading yourself about what is not true because you don't want The Bible to be true. You can't help yourself from doing it.[/quote]

I've seen this statement made several times on various religious threads here "you don't want the Bible to be true", and it puzzles me a bit. Have you read the Book of Mormon? The Koran? The Vedas? Did you want them to be true? If you read any of them and didn't believe them, could you not also be accused of not wanting to believe them? In my opinion, someone reading the Bible or any book claiming truth for that matter, should not go in wanting to believe or disbelieve, but to be as unbiased as possible.[/quote]

No on is unbiased. Before I became a Christian at age thirty, read the Bible and didn't believe it. I also read the Book of Mormon and thought it was worse. Never read the Koran. I heard in a lecture it is 28% lacuna so it has no validity to me. I never heard of the Vedas.

Everyday Hunter
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Agreed, its difficult to be unbiased, and most people probably will be one way or another. Still, it would be best to be as unbiased as possible going in, which is why the statement "you don't want to believe" doesn't really make sense to me as a criticism, because there is no reason one should want to believe.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Well,.....let's see. If time began as a consequence of the big bang,...it would seem to me that the age of the universe depends on where one might be in the universe. At the outer edge of the expansion it's somewhere around 1/10th of a second old. Outside of the edge of the expansion, it hasn't happened yet.

Upon what do you base this opinion? It sure does not come from science. Science is the result of observation.

It's part of the Big Bang Theory and was observed by Penzias in 1964. He won the Nobel Prize for that.

So it "comes from science."

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

And it's not expanding at the edges. All of the space of the universe is expanding.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Kingston 11:2
The inside is the outside and the outside is the inside and so on it goes.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by DBT

God must be married.

He was married. Her name was Asherah.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Theory was that if you got to the edge you'd end up on the other side - it's a bubble.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by DBT

God must be married.

Beneath you.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT

God must be married.

Been updated, haven't seen The Da Vinci Code?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DBT

God must be married.

Beneath you.

If you only knew...

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT

God must be married.

Beneath you.

Nope.

Here's a short 5 minute primer on the subject giving both points of view:

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

Not so. No contradiction here at all.

A man who loved his family.... provided for them, taught them and nurtured them could be seen as a man of love.

That same man could act and be seen as a man of war if someone was harming his family. So, he is both a man of love and a man of war.

Simple, yet you cannot see that in a God context.

All humans are supposed to be 'Gods children' - human parents do not kill their wayward children unless they themselves are killers. Plus you ignore verses which say God is good to all; ''But I tell you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you''

You can't have it both ways. Cherry picking does not resolve the contraction.

Nope, you’re wrong .......again.

You don’t know or understand God’s Word. You set up this notional idea that “All humans are supposed to be ‘God’s children’....”.... then knock it down. How did you come to this....supposition....?

Jesus clearly teaches otherwise and no, there is no biblical contradiction. These contradictions you “see” result from your own lack of understanding.

Nope, not ignoring verses at all.... you clearly do not understand context..... for example... to whom is Jesus speaking in the verse reference you mentioned? It makes a difference.... but, you do not see and the result is just more meaningless squawking.

The issue is not "Gods word" which is an unproven claim, but basic logic. It is logic that determines the contradiction. The contradiction is there whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Robert_White
https://mynorthwest.com/1510612/study-finds-the-universe-might-be-2-billion-years-younger/?

Evidently the materialists are having a hard time keeping their fairy tales straight!

I don't think its a fairytale that the Universe is billions of years old. The only question is precisely how many billions.

Tarquin
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

What part of Infinite do you not get?

I was talking about what the ancients believed and what they wrote, not what you as a modern day person happen to believe.

Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (16penny, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,281 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,820
Posts18,477,764
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.