Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Our company’s 401k has been managed by Fidelity for the last 3yrs. No big complaints and the fund selection was much better than Vanguard which we had for the 4yrs prior. When I first joined in 1999 we had T Rowe Price and that has been my favorite of the 3. The funds that were offered to us were great performers. A personal Vanguard acct may be worth looking into b/c of low fees. A 401k account will only have access to the funds agreed upon by the company and the brokerage.

I can confirm that my shadow will not darken Merrill Lynch’s door anytime soon. Exorbitant fees and for a closely managed fund with unlimited fund selection options, I found the performance shockingly bad. I was consistently getting 5% higher return on my 401k where I picked the funds over an 11 year window.

If I were new to the game, I’d go through fund options with Fidelity, Vanguard, TRP, and Schwab and see who’s offerings I was most comfortable with and then do an analysis of the fees based on the amount I was investing. Good luck with it.

Fear the crabcat.
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Vanguard for the last 25 years.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A fourth vote for Vanguard. Lowest costs in the business.
"It's not what you make, it's what you keep."

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I use Fidelity, no complaints.

Good communication over the phone, which is rare these days.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Correction. That happened when he turned 85, not 80.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have been using Fidelity for a while now, sometime around 1986-87. No issues ever. My stock trades are free with them.

I have a few Vanguard Mutual funds, great company as well. However I have never used them for stock trading.

Asking for a stock pick is like asking what caliber rifle you should be using on North American Field Mice. But what the hell it'll be entertaining at least!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I second the communication quality with Fidelity. They were absolutely great just recently. I rolled my 401k to Ed Jones back when I got laid off in 2010, wish I hadn't. Nothing awful or criminal- just would have been better for me had Inot. Took me a while to recoup the fees etc... Thank God for Trump,

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by viking
So where would someone put 50k these days for a long term safe investment.

CHK for a small power play

IDXX for safe solid growth

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind
. . . When I first joined in 1999 we had T Rowe Price and that has been my favorite of the 3.

I agree that T. Rowe Price has some of the best performing mutual funds.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"If you're paying "fees", you're gettin fcked."

Even if you buy no load mutual funds you get hosed. Every mutual fund has a manager that charges you around 2% to manage the fund. You also pay for all the stock transaction fees. When I retired years ago I invested in 3 of the best performing mutual funds at that time. Two of the funds were Janus and Vanguard but I don't remember the other one. I had to make 6% just to break even. The first year my funds lost 30% of their value and took 5 years to recover. No more mutual funds for me.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by victoro

Even if you buy no load mutual funds you get hosed. Every mutual fund has a manager that charges you around 2% to manage the fund. You also pay for all the stock transaction fees. When I retired years ago I invested in 3 of the best performing mutual funds at that time. Two of the funds were Janus and Vanguard but I don't remember the other one. I had to make 6% just to break even. The first year my funds lost 30% of their value and took 5 years to recover. No more mutual funds for me.

Vanguard's fees are the lowest, and are negligible.

It sounds to me that you needed to leave your money in the market for awhile as a true investment, and you would have made back anything that you lost within a few years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by victoro

Vic, Janus and Vanguard are two other mutual fund managers, in addition to T. Rowe Price from which I had great results after a decade of performance. Bill O'Neil (of Investors Business Daily fame) wrote in one of his books (How to Make Money in Stocks) that if one is going to invest in mutual funds they should never be sold. Buying high and selling low is one of the most common mistakes novice retail investors make. Consider your losses in mutual funds simple tuition paid to the college of investing success, lessons learned.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Vanguard Wellington has been around for about 90 years and has averaged @ 8% year in, year out. Runs 65% stocks and 35% bonds.

https://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/vwelx/quote

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/fund/vwelx

https://www.kiplinger.com/article/i...uard-wellington-fund-still-delights.html

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
My company offered Vanguard. They performed well with reasonable fees.

NRA Patron
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Vanguard or Fidelity. I wouldn't touch Edward Jones with a 10 ft pole.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
A move away from Edward Jones to about anyplace else would be a positive move.

lightman
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Amazing that Fidelity is privately owned.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
About 60% of my retirement money is with Fidelity. Have been pleased for almost 30 years with them.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Fidelity has been the trustee of my 401K since 1998. No complaints

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
..been investing with Fidelity since 1986, no complaints. They help me if I ask for it, and leave me alone when I ask for it. I have had my investments in and out of several funds over the years, but havent hopped around much...very pleased with my overall returns.

My wife's investments are much more conservative than mine have been with fidelity over the years.. We've been blessed and it looks like we are going to hit my goal at retirement time.

I hope to be saying adios to my full time job in the next 2 to 3 years... Positioning myself for that now.... Hoping things come together.

dave

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (01Foreman400, 17Hunter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,663 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,602
Posts18,473,624
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.