Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by horse1
Dumb question. For the folks who have or do live in and/or do a lot of hunting in Griz country: Do you carry a handgun during rifle season or do you expect your rifle to be enough? I've hunted some in Griz country, although typically towards the latter end of Oct at the earliest. I've never carried bear spray or a sidearm, just my rifle. Am I being naive?

I personally know 2 guys, one a member here and another an elk guide in WY, who were attacked by griz at CQB distances while gutting/quartering game. In both cases there was no time to go get the rifle. In both cases the bear was killed at very close distance with the guy's handgun. In the first case, it was a 500 Linebaugh. In the second case, it was a S&W 357 Magnum.

As I said before, I ain't no bear ex-spurt, but I have learned a tad over the years... and I always have a handgun on me in bear country, even when I'm carrying a rifle. FWIW, I believe a good double action revolver is the best choice of handgun type, and for a lot of solid reasons. It doesn't have to be a Loudenboomer caliber, but it should be at least 357 Magnum or better, and you should be proficient in its use, both two-handed and one-handed. A good SA revolver would be my second choice, and any autoloader is a distant 3rd choice. YMMV.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by Brad

Who said anything about "through"?

A guy pinned and thrashing around, a bear on top thrashing around, you under stress trying to make a good shot with a handgun, and you don't think it's possible to hit your hunting partner?

Again, lots of big talk...

It's kind of a tough call. It's like having cancer. The drugs are really bad for you but most consider the alternative to be worse. The best shooting option for the partner would be a near contact shot to the CNS in a direction offering minimal pass-through danger to the victim. But, yeah, on a moving critter it could be tough. Although it was not a bear deal, here is a recent example of a favorable result. Skip to 2:45 to get to the relevant part. I forgive in advance a reasonably competent shot who attempts to get an attacking bear off me by shooting. In my case, that most likely would be a family member.

Crap.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

Who said anything about "through"?

A guy pinned and thrashing around, a bear on top thrashing around, you under stress trying to make a good shot with a handgun, and you don't think it's possible to hit your hunting partner?

Again, lots of big talk...

It's kind of a tough call. It's like having cancer. The drugs are really bad for you but most consider the alternative to be worse. The best shooting option for the partner would be a near contact shot to the CNS in a direction offering minimal pass-through danger to the victim. But, yeah, on a moving critter it could be tough. Although it was not a bear deal, here is a recent example of a favorable result. Skip to 2:45 to get to the relevant part. I forgive in advance a reasonably competent shot who attempts to get an attacking bear off me by shooting. In my case, that most likely would be a family member.

That sob took a lot of hits before succumbing, seems that the cops really didn't want to shoot him but he gave them no choice.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I can see how a bear can go undetected until it successfully springs on (charges, runs, attacks, crawls, jumps, rolls) two hunters. I still think it pretty unusual (NO IMPOSSIBLE, MIND YOU) to tear up two guys and get away Scott (or Jim or harry ...) free. BUT I KNOW ITS POSSIBLE.

I also know if I were having my face being eaten and I were with my brother, Doc R, Dewayne, Barry, Jesse, Roger, JG Raider, or javman I would have been hollering "Shoot". I wouldnt think I needed to tell any of them to be careful.

I Dindo Nuffin
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
for sure it's a dangerous proposition and seems the guy underneath the bear is very fortunate not to be hit. when entering game or a person, slugs do unpredictable things and do not necessarily keep to a straight path, though i suppose they could

Last edited by sse; 09/19/19.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by jaguartx
I can see how a bear can go undetected until it successfully springs on (charges, runs, attacks, crawls, jumps, rolls) two hunters. I still think it pretty unusual (NO IMPOSSIBLE, MIND YOU) to tear up two guys and get away Scott (or Jim or harry ...) free. BUT I KNOW ITS POSSIBLE.

I also know if I were having my face being eaten and I were with my brother, Doc R, Dewayne, Barry, Jesse, Roger, JG Raider, or javman I would have been hollering "Shoot". I wouldnt think I needed to tell any of them to be careful.

You know I'd be real careful, amigo! REAAALLLLL careful...

... you did remember to put me down in your will to inherit your Texas record muley mount when you die, right?

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Hahaha. Wouldnt want to lose your perpetual quail or central Texas fishing invite. wink

Let me know if ur free to get out this way for dove.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by horse1
Dumb question. For the folks who have or do live in and/or do a lot of hunting in Griz country: Do you carry a handgun during rifle season or do you expect your rifle to be enough? I've hunted some in Griz country, although typically towards the latter end of Oct at the earliest. I've never carried bear spray or a sidearm, just my rifle. Am I being naive?

For reasons mentioned by Doc earlier, I assume that any bear encounter is going to wind up being a ground fight. For that reason, I consider a handgun to be essential. Personally, I prefer it to be a handgun that I shoot a lot rather than some theoretically better gun that I rarely shoot. Attention also has to be paid to knowing its characteristics when being fired from awkward positions (including contact positions) and with variable grip positions and strength.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I still cant figure out how none of 4 hunters shot the bear.

About the best possible way to kill your partner is shoot at a bear while it's on top of him.

Seems like they handled themselves well.

smartest post of the day!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Lots of big talk from the armchair quarterbacks...

Ask the Dad who shot a griz off his son 2 years ago, in the South Fork of the Flathead River

ask the 23 year old that shot his best friend through a griz here a few years ago.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I used to come out of the Mts back to camp after dark while archery hunting in NM or Co on old logging roads or pack trails and rarely turned a light on except in rough or rocky or steep places or where the canopy blocked out the starlight.

After having a bear come at me archery hunting years ago and having seen videos of cougars stalking hikers
I started shining ahead for eyes.

The only time I had a hatchet with me was when the bear incident occurred. I felt under armed after hitting the bear with an arrow while jumping up and down shaking the hatchet and screaming like a banshee.

From that point on I carried a pistol.

Just like in Houston, it can be a jungle out there.

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/19/19.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I never asked Bill if he told the NY archers to only shoot when he was passing behind the tree. cool

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by deerstalker

Ask the Dad who shot a griz off his son 2 years ago, in the South Fork of the Flathead River

ask the 23 year old that shot his best friend through a griz here a few years ago.

It would be interesting to know the quality of hunting buddy who shot him, too.

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

A little off topic:

Another thing that happens all the time on the Fire is that those jealous of others or just pissed off about what's going on at home looks for a reason to attack and run down someone else whether they have to take what someone said out of context or attempt to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Quote of the week.

This is the sad reality for a lot on here I have come to realize. So many seem to be unhappy in their current position in life or envious of others and they sit around like a trip-wire, waiting to fire on someone to make themselves feel better.

Not really anyone in this post comes across that way, but so much of what's posted elsewhere gets pretty tiring seeing people expend so much energy spewing vitriol because they are unhappy.

Montana MOFO
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Most of my camping in the summer and hunting in the fall is in grizzly country, and I always have a sidearm on me. It is on me if something happens, and not leaning up against a tree or in the scabbard on the horse or 4 wheeler.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
When dealing with an entrapped patient at a car wreck....care must be taken to protect the airway and the C spine.

You must remove the wreckage from the patient...not the patient from the wreckage.

If the patient starts to crash or there is a fire or you and the whole mess just slid into the water......you get them the fugg outta the car.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The first attack they used bear spray to end it, not sure on the second. They were all bowhunters. I always carry a 44 or 454 with a snap closed top or a bungie strap over the hammer. I always figure I might be tossed around on the ground when I need it so I want it secure. I've heard of multiple attacks on guys with a rifle in hand and never getting off a shot. Grizz are no joke, they are a lot faster than they look.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by deerstalker

"Ask the 23 year old that KILLED his best friend through a griz here a few years ago" Fixed it for you.

P.S. Grizzly are very common around my house. Glock 20 or Smith 329 loaded with hardcast WFN's everyday, everywhere including going out to feed the dogs before bedtime. Even when rifle hunting, the pistol is ALWAYS on you and available. Odds are 50-50 that you will even see or hear the bear before contact.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by m_stevenson

About the best possible way to kill your partner is shoot at a bear while it's on top of him.

If my partner isn't shooting the sonofabitch off me, I'll shoot his ass if I survive.

+1

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by m_stevenson

If my partner isn't shooting the sonofabitch off me, I'll shoot his ass if I survive.

Yeah, and I don't hunt with guys who would shoot me through a bear.

I have stood my ground on a bear coming for me and hit it with an arrow which turned it away.

Impressive... not!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,258
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.