Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Most people don't understand what a waste of resources the Brady Checks are, so I did some digging and it's nothing more than catch and release. I wrote about it and the Daily Caller picked it up. I think there's some useful information we gunnies can use in arguing with the Communists, so here's the link:

https://dailycaller.com/section/guns-and-gear/

The op-ed is at the top of that page and the direct link is

https://dailycaller.com/2019/09/19/...y-nothing-happens-when-a-criminal-fails/

There's also a link in the item straight to GAO's report on how bad Brady skunks.

That’s only if your state put the fu*kings to you back in the 90’s by deferring to the Feds for NICS checks do to Brady law. Posted this before but you all keep hammering the dead horse to death. I have a total of 8 maybe 9 NICS checks run on me by LE since 91, doesn’t mean I bought a gun just means I applied. Keep beating the dead horse and pumping up your articles.

Each state has the option of turning over all background checks on firearms to the FBI or it can choose to act as a state point-of-contact (POC) to conduct background checks on either handguns, long guns, or both. Additionally, a state can choose to issue alternative permits. Alternative permits must be approved by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF).
Nebraska is a Brady alternative permit state and serves as a POC for purchasing handguns, but defers to the federal government to regulate long gun sales
. Nebraska law prescribing handgun purchases (Laws 1991, LB 355) actually predates the Brady Law.

In Nebraska, an individual must apply in his or her county of residence for a firearms purchase certificate from a designated local law enforcement official. This is most often the county sheriff, but can be the chief of police. The local law enforcement official performs the background check, which includes NICS, as well as the ability to search additional local criminal databases. Applications can be made in person or by mail.

The local law enforcement official has three business days to complete a background check and is required to
approve the certificate if the applicant is (1) 21 years of age or older and (2) not prohibited from purchasing or possessing a handgun per federal law (18 USC 922). If the application is denied, the applicant must be told why in writing. Purchase certificates are valid for three years and allow the holder to purchase an unlimited number of firearms with one background check.

In 2006, the Legislature enacted the Concealed Handgun Permit Act. Concealed handgun permits are processed
by the Nebraska State Patrol. The requirements for a concealed handgun permit exceed those required for a Nebraska firearms purchase certificate. However, once granted, a concealed carry handgun permit also qualifies as an alternative permit. Concealed carry permits are valid for five years.

ATF has approved both of the state’s firearms purchase and concealed carry permits as alternative permits for buying long guns. State law does not require a purchase permit for buying long guns. Kthe buyer does not have a purchase permit, gun stores follow the Brady Law protocol and contact the FBI for the NICS check on long gun sales.

Sounds like the state is the problem in Nebraska, here no permit or anything else is needed to CC or buy beyond what the federal gooberment requires.

Last edited by 700LH; 09/19/19.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 700LH
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Most people don't understand what a waste of resources the Brady Checks are, so I did some digging and it's nothing more than catch and release. I wrote about it and the Daily Caller picked it up. I think there's some useful information we gunnies can use in arguing with the Communists, so here's the link:

https://dailycaller.com/section/guns-and-gear/

The op-ed is at the top of that page and the direct link is

https://dailycaller.com/2019/09/19/...y-nothing-happens-when-a-criminal-fails/

There's also a link in the item straight to GAO's report on how bad Brady skunks.

That’s only if your state put the fu*kings to you back in the 90’s by deferring to the Feds for NICS checks do to Brady law. Posted this before but you all keep hammering the dead horse to death. I have a total of 8 maybe 9 NICS checks run on me by LE since 91, doesn’t mean I bought a gun just means I applied. Keep beating the dead horse and pumping up your articles.

Each state has the option of turning over all background checks on firearms to the FBI or it can choose to act as a state point-of-contact (POC) to conduct background checks on either handguns, long guns, or both. Additionally, a state can choose to issue alternative permits. Alternative permits must be approved by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF).
Nebraska is a Brady alternative permit state and serves as a POC for purchasing handguns, but defers to the federal government to regulate long gun sales
. Nebraska law prescribing handgun purchases (Laws 1991, LB 355) actually predates the Brady Law.

In Nebraska, an individual must apply in his or her county of residence for a firearms purchase certificate from a designated local law enforcement official. This is most often the county sheriff, but can be the chief of police. The local law enforcement official performs the background check, which includes NICS, as well as the ability to search additional local criminal databases. Applications can be made in person or by mail.

The local law enforcement official has three business days to complete a background check and is required to
approve the certificate if the applicant is (1) 21 years of age or older and (2) not prohibited from purchasing or possessing a handgun per federal law (18 USC 922). If the application is denied, the applicant must be told why in writing. Purchase certificates are valid for three years and allow the holder to purchase an unlimited number of firearms with one background check.

In 2006, the Legislature enacted the Concealed Handgun Permit Act. Concealed handgun permits are processed
by the Nebraska State Patrol. The requirements for a concealed handgun permit exceed those required for a Nebraska firearms purchase certificate. However, once granted, a concealed carry handgun permit also qualifies as an alternative permit. Concealed carry permits are valid for five years.

ATF has approved both of the state’s firearms purchase and concealed carry permits as alternative permits for buying long guns. State law does not require a purchase permit for buying long guns. Kthe buyer does not have a purchase permit, gun stores follow the Brady Law protocol and contact the FBI for the NICS check on long gun sales.

Sounds like the state is the problem in Nebraska, here no permit or anything else is needed to CC or buy beyond what the federal gooberment requires.

Isn’t that what you all are bitching about is the Federal goobermint. I mean NICS is a Federal goobermint registration right? And Federal regs require a NICS right? So if my state fuggs over Fed control and gives me the ability to purchase without the Feds knowing or having a record other than the 4473, that’s bad right? Thought that was what state rights were all about?
Does the article take into account the statistics of failed state and local background checks before it hits NICS? I think 13 or 14 states have permanent primacy over NICS.
As far as your permitless CC it’s only good in your state, mines good in 38, plus open carry has been legal here for 50+ years unlike Texass and others which had to enact it in the last few years.

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Isn’t that what you all are bitching about is the Federal goobermint. I mean NICS is a Federal goobermint registration right? And Federal regs require a NICS right? So if my state fuggs over Fed control and gives me the ability to purchase without the Feds knowing or having a record other than the 4473, that’s bad right? Thought that was what state rights were all about?
Does the article take into account the statistics of failed state and local background checks before it hits NICS? I think 13 or 14 states have permanent primacy over NICS.
As far as your permitless CC it’s only good in your state, mines good in 38, plus open carry has been legal here for 50+ years unlike Texass and others which had to enact it in the last few years.

So your state doesn't use the federal data base for background checks?
yeah right.

laffin,,,,

Maybe you otta go read how they check and see if you can get that stupid Nebraska handgun permit.
Damn, the ignorance in the place is astounding sometimes

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Swifty,
While your criticism is good because it presents more information, I'd like to remind you of the concept of word count. The GAO report is 89 pages. You just TRY to crush that down into 700 words or less. Go ahead. It's hard, and a writer has to set priorities. If you can do better, have at it, we'lll be looking for your byline in forums aside the Campfire. Or even better, you'll write something so impressive, you'll be invited to testify under oath before a Senate or House committee hearing on live TV.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The ATF is not interested in doing any real work-- ie, tracking those who should not have guns.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TBREW401
The ATF is not interested in doing any real work-- ie, tracking those who should not have guns.

PREZACTLY

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,695
Posts18,494,187
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.