Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I like it a lot.
I killed a buck antelope with one 2 days ago. I have been killing game on and off with 270s since 1968. It's never let me down. Not even one time. Sure, there are some bullets I stay away from, but I can say the same for about every other bore diameter too. People that make a religious idol are self-deceived and have no grasp on facts, so I choose not to defend or attach a mathematical measurement. To ascribe some evil or righteousness to a measurement is idiotic.

I have one 270 that I made on a Mauser action when I was 13 years old. That was 51 years ago now. It's now on it's 3rd barrel.

I have killed more deer then I can count, many antelope, many elk, 3 bears, and a lot of domestic cattle, horses and also about a dozen sheep with 270s. I have seen 3 moose and one Bison killed with 270s too and all of them were one shot kills with the game failing instantly or within a few seconds after the impact. The bull Bison was killed with a 150 grain Remington factory round and fell before the recoil was gone.

I read all the time how it's too old,. and all the things that are wrong with it.
I have never seen anything to gripe about with one as long as someone didn't use bullets that break up. Again I say I have seen bad results with a LOT of other cartridges when bad bullets were used including the 338 Mag, my own 375H&H, 9.3X74R, and quite a few bad results from many 7MM mags and 300 mags. So I can't be convinced that there is some virtue in a bore diameter or any lack of virtue in any one either.

When truth and facts disagree with theory and "feelings" ---------- its very easy for me to tell which one is wrong.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How many still like the .270 Winchester

While a lot of fine rounds have challenged it......it's still the king

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It was the first centerfire rifle i got,followed by a Rem.788 in 223.

Still have the 270.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
270 is best in the west. I came back to it in spite of shooting a 280AI, a 270 WSM 6.5x55 and a 7 RM. If I got rid of these the 270 would fill all the same gaps. The 270 does fine with a 22" barrel all the others except the Swede perform better with longer barrels, the 270 does too but doesn't need it. With the newer powders any gap with the 270 WSM and 7 mag just got narrower. I keep hoping to shoot out the 270 or the 270 WSM so I can put a faster twist barrel on it and use the 170 & 180 VLD type bullets.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This years deer rifle, my first 270. Son has had a Tikka for awhile. Sako 85, can't see how it would not work well, if I do my part.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
A Winchester 70 featherweight in 270 was my 1st BG rifle. It might be the last one to leave, too.

Most of all he loved the fall
The leaves yellow on the cottonwoods
Leaves floating on the trout steams and above the hills
The high blue windless skies
Now he will be part of them, forever
- Earnest Hemingway, Idaho- 1939
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only have three.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have 4 of them all model 70’s.. when you are in the mtns hunting sheep using the same cartridge that Jack O’Connor used for sheep. It rings nostalgia, tradition. I had a 6.5 CM liked it but it was no 270 Winchester!

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The .270 wcf is my favorite chambering. I hunt sheep first, everything else second, it is more than you need for any ram and I have killed Bull elk and moose with it over 40 + years.
These days a guys sends the 150's at 3000 fps + with Reloder 26 out of a 22" barrel.
A guy with a .270 wcf or a .280 rem doesn't need much else around here. The 30/06 works pretty well too.
If I were going to go 6.5...it would be and /06 style, but there is no need. I am an unabashed .270 guy....just the way it is. It will go with me in the morning.Cheers.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I have owned many really fine 270’s. More high end classic hunting rifles have been for the 270 than any other cartridge. By classic I mean built by Jerry Fisher, Al Biesen, Dale Goens, Earl Milliron, Monty Kennedy, Lenard Brownell, and the greats of their era using old M70 and Mauser actions with just a touch of engraving and a stock made from real French or Circassian walnut. Many times you could go to stone sheep camps and all the hunters were carrying Biesen M70 270’s.

The tacti-cool and gong banging crowd...didn’t exist then.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
YES desertranger the 270 WAS, IS, & WILL be a good hunting round.
Like you I haven’t used it exclusively but I’d say I’ve killed the majority of my
deer with a 270.

NO shame or embarrassment felt. ATST being 69 yo I don’t have that many years of hunting
ahead of me. I’m actually leaning more to my Tikka T3X in 7mm RM. shocked

Less is NOT more to me. I have a Swede but not hunting it. I have a 6mm Rem
that I like better.

I post this after only reading your OP first and no others.
I like what I like and my Butt Don’t Hurt if NoOne else does.
I don’t WHINE eek and CRY cry waaa when someone disagrees with me.

GO 270 Win.

Jerry

ps: now I have 3 pages to catch up.

Last edited by jwall; 09/20/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I like 270's - have two 270 Wins and a 270 Wby and hunt with all of them. I do have to admit I've been shooting more 6.5's the last couple of years but only because they're fairly new to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can say 7mm is better because of the available bullet weights. You could say 6.5 because of the bullets available. But you are talking numbers that are not really far from each other. People tend to nit pick over minor differences in numbers. The 270 Winchester has been killing fine for 90+ years. It always did it well and will continue to do it well.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I never liked it. In fact, despite having owned dozens of centerfire rifles, both larger and smaller, have never owned one in my life and doubt I ever will..

I hear it's the preferred cartridge of queers and pansies so I'm sure you'd love it.

I just know it works, and you're a moron.
Not surprised you have personal knowledge of queers and pansies.[/quote]

And by his own testimony he has NO experience with A 270. crazy

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Is this another gay bashing thread?

I've got one. My wife uses it for deer.

I've shot a few deer with it as well. And punched allot of paper.

It's a joy to shoot and load for

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 79S
I have 4 of them all model 70’s.. when you are in the mtns hunting sheep using the same cartridge that Jack O’Connor used for sheep. It rings nostalgia, tradition.

** I had a 6.5 CM liked it but it was no 270 Winchester!

I’m glad to see someone put that in print.
I have a Swede but ......

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by irfubar
In my world they are legendary..... only have four at the moment.....
Here is one....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

And another...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I luv your rifle.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I've seldom, if ever been without one for 35 or 36 years. It's an excellent balance of accuracy, flat trajectory, and reasonable recoil. With new powders it's even better. A 150gr bullet at over 3000 is easy and safe to do now, and with proper construction should easily take anything in the lower 48 at any sane range. Twist it a hair tighter for something like 170gr Bergers, and it can go long(er). Ammo is easy to find at all price levels, as are components and data. Lots of other rounds can do the same job, but most aren't quite as "accessible" in regard to ammo and rifle model availability.

What I can't understand is why so many people take a dislike to a particular cartridge, often without ever trying it, or why they get their feelers hurt when their pets start to flounder in the market against new stuff. Short of ammo actually being discontinued, what's the big deal? Is it some kind of personal validation thing? As long as what I have works for me, I could GAS what someone else uses.

^ This.

Owned mine since 69’. Its killed a pile of assorted deer, a few elk, one pronghorn and a mountain goat.
It’s the last long gun I will ever let go of.
That said, I’ve been enjoying my 6.5 CM very much - mostly because I like the Kimber platform and modest recoil.
It remarkably easy to shoot well and therefore it kills well, too.

Like Pappy348, I find it hard to understand the immature mud slinging by the anti-270 clowns.......

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by comerade
The .270 wcf is my favorite chambering. I hunt sheep first, everything else second, it is more than you need for any ram and I have killed Bull elk and moose with it over 40 + years.
These days a guys sends the 150's at 3000 fps + with Reloder 26 out of a 22" barrel.
A guy with a .270 wcf or a .280 rem doesn't need much else around here. The 30/06 works pretty well too.
If I were going to go 6.5...it would be and /06 style, but there is no need. I am an unabashed .270 guy....just the way it is. It will go with me in the morning.Cheers.

You're a blessed man.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by RinB

I have owned many really fine 270’s. More high end classic hunting rifles have been for the 270 than any other cartridge. By classic I mean built by Jerry Fisher, Al Biesen, Dale Goens, Earl Milliron, Monty Kennedy, Lenard Brownell, and the greats of their era using old M70 and Mauser actions with just a touch of engraving and a stock made from real French or Circassian walnut. Many times you could go to stone sheep camps and all the hunters were carrying Biesen M70 270’s.

The tacti-cool and gong banging crowd...didn’t exist then.

This^^^^. The hunters gun, the riflemans rifle.

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/20/19.

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

131 members (01Foreman400, 7887mm08, 300s, 2UP, 257 mag, 11 invisible), 1,547 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,624
Posts18,474,071
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.