-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got my first .270 Win a little over 44 years ago as a birthday gift from my father, who was a .30 cal guy. My uncle, who was a very central figure in my hunting education, was at the same party and gave me 200 rounds of Winchester 130gr factory loads. He was also a .30 cal guy who to this day has never hunted with anything other than a .30 cal of some flavor. Given his age, he never will.

Over those years, I’ve had a few .270 Win rifles and a couple in .270 Wby Mag. Two finer hunting cartridges do not exist. Piles of deer, elk and Pronghorn and have never taken more than one shot at any of those animals.

As Brad said, you’d be hard-pressed to find a better cartridge for Western hunting. The .270 Win is still what I recommend today, in fact.

I think the real argument in American shooting lore is over which is the greatest military cartridge used for hunting, the .30-‘06 Springfield or the .308 Winchester. I think there really is no doubt the greatest American hunting cartridge of all time is the .270 Winchester.

Winchester Model 70 in .270 Winchester. The rifleman’s rifle, indeed.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by horse1

Kimber 84L with a 1:8 twist LIlja in the factory bbl contour. In that rifle I'm shooting the 150 ABLR and though

Interesting. Have you tried any lighter bullets on a target, how did they behave with this tight twist?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Originally Posted by horse1

Kimber 84L with a 1:8 twist LIlja in the factory bbl contour. In that rifle I'm shooting the 150 ABLR and though

Interesting. Have you tried any lighter bullets on a target, how did they behave with this tight twist?

I haven't tried any other projectile. The Kimber was purpose built to take advantage of the 150ABLR as well as wherever the next step in slickery projectiles goes.

I can't say that a fast twist has ever hampered me with any other chamberings and light-for-caliber projectiles. My 1:8 22-250 shoots 50gn projectiles into itty-bitty knots as does my 1:8 223AI. I've also used some 120V-max in my 1:8 7WSM while FF'ing Norma 270WSM brass up to 7WSM and they're also quite accurate. I wouldn't be afraid to run really any available .277 bullet weight through my 1:8 bbl. There was very little difference in accuracy for any of the different powder charges of R-26 as I worked up to 60.5gn. I didn't have to fiddle w/seating depth either, just seat it to the end of the mag box and go. I'm a LONG way off the lands but everything seems to work just fine.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
This is page number five of responses to my question and your replies don’t surprise me. Most of your posts agree that the ninety four year old 270 is well thought of, used for just about every North American critter and isn’t headed for the scrap yard any time soon!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I got my first 270 about 31 years ago. A Ruger M77. It was a POS. My older brother got the same rifle, about 3 years before I did. It was also a POS. My two step-brothers got the same rifles. One a year before me and one a year after. The older of the two was a good shooter. I observed that it shot far better with every different ammo tried than any of the others, including the rifle of the younger step-brother, which was a POS. I don't know why 3/4 of those rifles purchased in a roughly four year period ended up shooting so badly, but it soured me. It soured all of us, actually.

Eventually, the older brother moved on to 280's and had great experiences, then onto the Short Mags, again with great experiences. The older step-brother went straight for 300 Mags, and though he rarely shoots, is quite an accomplished hunter and impressive marksman in the field. I witnessed the same when we were in our teens. The younger step brother inherited a couple 30-06's from his grandfather, and did a bit of hunting, but a tragic accident cut that short. I never trusted my 270 in the field, because it never shot what I thought was remotely acceptable. I hunted with it several times, and missed a few times. I mostly hunted with my father's guns, which shot well, until I moved on to lever guns in several calibers, and then settled on a 30-06 for the "cross canyon" stuff.

A couple years ago I got into another 270, after working up a load for a buddy and his 270, an M70 Featherweight, which shot ridiculously well with what it preferred. Mine turned out to do nearly as well. I blooded it the first time I took it out, and every time I have hunted with it, I have killed with it. I consider it "lucky" now. I plan on elk in the timber this year, and so will be packing a lever gun in one of three flavors, but when I need to do the "cross canyon" stuff again, I'll pack the 270.

Last edited by HuntnShoot; 09/21/19.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Desertranger
This is page number five of responses to my question and your replies don’t surprise me. Most of your posts agree that the ninety four year old 270 is well thought of, used for just about every North American critter and isn’t headed for the scrap yard any time soon!

270 factory ammo comes in a wide variety of bullet weights, styles, brands, and costs. Although I can load for over 50 different cartridges, I have settled on the 150 grain Winchester/Olin PowerMax Bonded factory load in the 2 270s that I shoot 'cause it is accurate in those rifles and this bullet design gives me all of the penetration and expansion that I need for medium to medium-large game.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
John, seem to remember an article you wrote years ago. If my failing memory serves me, it was titled something like-Jack O’Connor Was Right.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I would certainly own one if I didn't already have a .280. I've used my .280 for years now, and it's performed very well on a variety of game. I expect a .270 would do the same. I guess I'm not quite loony enough to think I need both, but a couple of years ago I bought a hunting rifle in .270 for a young friend who was just starting to hunt big game, and he's now killed mule deer, elk and pigs with it so it's working out well for him just like it seems to for lots of other folks.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Desertranger,

Have been gone three days helping a friend look for a bighorn ram in the Missouri Breaks, where he finally drew a Montana ram tag after 38 years of applying. Got rained out (that country is impassable to both vehicles and hiking when it gets really wet) so came home to find the Campfire is once again up to its old tricks.

You can't just hang that out and end it there. Did you find the ram?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I got my first 270 about 31 years ago. A Ruger M77. It was a POS. My older brother got the same rifle, about 3 years before I did. It was also a POS. My two step-brothers got the same rifles. One a year before me and one a year after. The older of the two was a good shooter. I observed that it shot far better with every different ammo tried than any of the others, including the rifle of the younger step-brother, which was a POS. I don't know why 3/4 of those rifles purchased in a roughly four year period ended up shooting so badly, but it soured me. It soured all of us, actually.

Eventually, the older brother moved on to 280's and had great experiences, then onto the Short Mags, again with great experiences. The older step-brother went straight for 300 Mags, and though he rarely shoots, is quite an accomplished hunter and impressive marksman in the field. I witnessed the same when we were in our teens. The younger step brother inherited a couple 30-06's from his grandfather, and did a bit of hunting, but a tragic accident cut that short. I never trusted my 270 in the field, because it never shot what I thought was remotely acceptable. I hunted with it several times, and missed a few times. I mostly hunted with my father's guns, which shot well, until I moved on to lever guns in several calibers, and then settled on a 30-06 for the "cross canyon" stuff.

A couple years ago I got into another 270, after working up a load for a buddy and his 270, an M70 Featherweight, which shot ridiculously well with what it preferred. Mine turned out to do nearly as well. I blooded it the first time I took it out, and every time I have hunted with it, I have killed with it. I consider it "lucky" now. I plan on elk in the timber this year, and so will be packing a lever gun in one of three flavors, but when I need to do the "cross canyon" stuff again, I'll pack the 270.

There was a time when the co almost went under. The story was Ruger used inferior barrels during that time. Iirc, it was years later when I read Mr Ruger admitted that to be true. Afaicr.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It never appealed to me.

That said, I can’t imagine a better cartridge for hunting big game. The only one I’ve ever owned is a Mauser I bought a bit ago for a project. If I was smart I’d leave it as is. Lol.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
When I was younger, I felt that the 270 was too plebeian, too common, for my sophisticated take on rifle cartridges, so I ignored it. Sometime in my late 40's I decided to see what I was missing and have come to like the 270 such that my primary elk rifles are chambered in 270, a CLR and a Remington 760.

During the component shortages of the obongo years I got a 270 for logistics reasons. I love it. But I admit there are better paper ballistics cartridges.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Caleveras
Originally Posted by Brad
For most mere mortals I think the 270 is about the finest general purpose round for Western hunting ever conceived. Light enough recoil, but plenty of reserve power for the likes of elk. Couple it with a 243 for deer and antelope, a 22lr for vermin, and you've got all the rifles you'll need to hunt a place like Montana.

Brad,

Please stop

1) This makes sense

2) More importantly this would put a swift and permanent end to years of cultivating the idea to my spouse that I need multiple rifles and calibers to do the same thing. She would most likely frame the quote and point to it at the mere mention of a new rifle.

Sorry man... last thing I would want to do is get between a wife, a man, and his rifles smile

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Aside, some here remember Dober from the Fire. We've been friends a long time and talk every week. Recently he said to me; "the only long action cartridge I really care to use or own any more is the 270." Mark mostly uses a 22-250 for deer and antelope, and a 270 as his big gun (elk). Mark's shot a lot more game than I ever will and I tend to listen to his opinion.

As for me, I've seen more elk killed with the 270 than any other cartridge, most of it with factory 130 gr. cup and core ammo. I took the oldest 6pt bull I've shot (F&G estimated 11.5 YO+) with the 270. The 270 is in it's natural element on a mountain in the Rockies or out in the Western sage flats.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
To each his own,I'd rather have a 30-06 anyday and that's what I did with the 270 I had.I had it rebarreled it to a 30-06 and couldn't be happier.O'Conner used the 270 a lot,but there has been some new cartridges,bullets and powders added to the market since his days,I wonder what his thoughts would be today.
On his favorite cartridges...."The .30-06, the .270, the .375, and the .416. Now you're going to ask me 'In what order?' In that order."~Jack O'Connor~

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My all time favorite.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
It is becoming one my favorites, replacing the .25-06!!!

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Don't understand the "still" part of the question.

D D, it makes perfect sense to those who used one. whistle

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
RevMike,

No, did not find The Ram.

My buddy had found 6 mature rams in a rough drainage when he scouted the area around September 1st, so we concentrated there. (I didn't go with him due to having wisdom teeth removed.) It had rained hard a few days earlier, but the cleared off and got hot, with highs in the 90's.

The season opened September 15th, but we didn't go for various reasons. Started on the 19th, but didn't see a thing in the same area, though we hiked and glassed it carefully. Finally figured out it was because when he scouted, it was 3 days after a heavy rainstorm, which left pools of water in the usually dry creek. The rams he'd seen were around a couple of bigger pools, but it hadn't rained much since, and the pools had turned to mudholes. So the sheep went elsewhere.

So we started looking for more reliable water sources, but had just started when another huge rainstorm came through. It's impossible to hike the steep Breaks when they're soaked and the gumbo soil is greasy, so we left and will be back when it dries out. The season goes through the 1st of December, so there's lots of time left. One of the alternate plans is to float the Missouri in my canoe (which I used to do for mule deer years ago) and see what we find. Learned where the sheep hang out during those trips, and October weather is usually much drier.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Killed first elk, and first mule deer, with one 37 years ago.

Haven't given it up yet and have used numerous other cartridges...it still works.

Am accused of being anti 6.5, not so, but can tell you from personal experience, shooting them side by side in similar weight guns (Tikka vs Rem Mtn Rifle) with 140 gr loads, CANNOT tell difference in recoil...why change?

Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,244
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.