Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Maybe I missed any mention of Country music on TV (Porter Wagoner’s show, Wilburn Bros, Hee Haw, Glen Campbell), or movies (Urban Cowboy, Smoky and the Bandit, Every Which Way But Loose, Bronco Billy, Tender Mercies)....

Eddie Rabbit and Johnny Lee brought in more “crossover appeal” than Emmylou ever did, but weren’t as “cool”...

Yep.....you are still so bent out of shape on black people and Bob Dillon to pull your head up out of your ash to see anything else

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe I missed any mention of Country music on TV (Porter Wagoner’s show, Wilburn Bros, Hee Haw, Glen Campbell), or movies (Urban Cowboy, Smoky and the Bandit, Every Which Way But Loose, Bronco Billy, Tender Mercies)....

Eddie Rabbit and Johnny Lee brought in more “crossover appeal” than Emmylou ever did, but weren’t as “cool”...

Yep.....you are still so bent out of shape on black people and Bob Dillon to pull your head up out of your ash to see anything else
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I have come to the following conclusion that Burns is trying to pass country music off as something other than an invention of Conservative minded White folks.

In the first few segments, he lets us know that if it weren't for Blacks, there would be no country music. In the past couple of segments, he's given the credit to the Nelson-Cash-Dylan, liberal, drug using crowd. Given the politics at PBS, it's not surprising.

Jesus H. Christ. You really don't get out much, do you?

No doubt

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Haven't had a chance to watch any of it.

Did they play Wild Horses by the Stones?

Any mention of the band "Old and in the Way"? Or was that too "bluegrass" and not enough country.

Dang them protestors all to heck anyway, even the famous musician kind. How dare they have an idea that what was going on just might be wrong?

Geno

didn't play it, but mentioned it.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I have come to the following conclusion that Burns is trying to pass country music off as something other than an invention of Conservative minded White folks.

In the first few segments, he lets us know that if it weren't for Blacks, there would be no country music. In the past couple of segments, he's given the credit to the Nelson-Cash-Dylan, liberal, drug using crowd. Given the politics at PBS, it's not surprising.

Jesus H. Christ. You really don't get out much, do you?

I'm pretty sure the Joos are behind it all. First 30-40 seconds says it all

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sycamore

Any mention of the band "Old and in the Way"? Or was that too "bluegrass" and not enough country.

Dang them protestors all to heck anyway, even the famous musician kind. How dare they have an idea that what was going on just might be wrong?

Geno

It'll be replayed someday, I'll try to watch for it and record it.

PBS has this wonderful way of using stuff like that to raise money. If I record it I can FF through all the pleas for money.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
In keeping in the vein of the thread.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Perfect Bob,

I think they even had a coupla black fellas in that band.

Funny little one on the drums........................."You got the money you owe us [bleep]".

And you sir, seem to have led an interesting life.

Cannon shoots are all sorts of fun, eh? I've been to one and would go to another if I get the chance. Before they ban them semi-automatic high caliber black powder mortars.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tedthorn

At least I can spell...............it's Dylan, not Dillion

We're talking about Bob the singer, not Matt the marshal.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I think Matt the Marshall was probably a better singer!

Best country singer ever=George Jones

Next=Merle Haggard

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Funny thig you see Alexa doesn't seem to care either.

If you think I take the time to type any this crap out you are nuts.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't get opening horns from Ring of Fire out of my head.

Bum padumpa duhda dummmm
Bum padumpa duhda duuuu

F'in Ken Burns.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Im watching it dvr'ed..at bob wills ..good stuff so far ...lot more black fplk in country music than charle pride ..lol !

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Anybody watching?? Have you noticed EVERY PBS special has to make a point of overemphasizing race, anymore?? For chrissakes......

The wright museum in Kitty hawk reopened after being renovated. Half the displays are tributes yo minority and women aviators. Nothing to do with the wright brothers.
Everything has to include the importance of the the African American contribution these days.

This post captures the essence of my reaction to nearly everything in modern culture.

People all over Montana complain about crack whores in Billings. I talked to Billings cops. There is no real crack whore problem there. More than 50% of budget is spent on native Americans that have been drinking.

What most of Montana is pi$$ed off about Billings is that it is just like Seattle, a hive of liberals with the latest political correctness.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
There's a reason some of those commies are featured. It's because they deserve to be, they are/were that great. Personally I forgive the really great ones for their politics because I just feel I have to or I can't enjoy their work. Classic stuff.

BTW their was a quick shot of Linda Ronstadt in a picture with Emmy Lou. Linda is sorta marginal country, definitely cross-over, but I love both of their music. I haven't quite forgiven Linda for fooling around with that Moonbeam governor. On the other hand Gavin Newsome makes him look...well, not quite so bad. The

Dolly, on the other hand, has enough brains and class to stay out of politics.

All in all it's been pretty good and quite enjoyable. I'm afraid things head downhill tonight. "Some call it country. I call it bad rock and roll."...Geezinslaw Brothers

Last edited by toltecgriz; 09/25/19.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Fburgtx: Just keeps getting better and better and more interesting every night.
It's VERY rare that I ever commend a liberal (it's seldom ever warranted to begin with!), but in this instance I must say "SUPERB job" there Ken Burns.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been enjoying the heck out of it. Wife is dragging me off to something tonight and I might miss the finale. You guys sure see everything through a political filter. Me I just enjoy the music who ever sings it. Learning a lot of things too. You want to be surprised, read Kris Kristofferson's bio. Golden Gloves boxer, Phi Beta Kappa, Rhodes Scholar, Airborne Ranger helicopter pilot, Captain, turned down a teaching assignment at West Point... And all this time I thought he just wrote a few songs and did a movie or two.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

Dolly, on the other hand, has enough brains and class to stay out of politics.

My guess is...
Dolly is bi and a closet lib.
Pat Benatar is a closet conservative.

I have been guessing things for a long time.
The most important thing to guess is the probability you are right.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Sycamore

Geno

It'll be replayed someday, I'll try to watch for it and record it.

PBS has this wonderful way of using stuff like that to raise money. If I record it I can FF through all the pleas for money.

Geno

I didn't see any fundraising, just the story sans commercials.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Vince Gill had a good line last night about change and how boring country music would be if it never changed. Lot of old fuds here with calcified brains that can't handle anything new.

You can't tolerate a liberal musician but drunks, drugies, ex-cons, and adulterers are OK. Yeah, bring back those old time values

They spent way too much time on George Jones and Tammy Wynette; I never cared for most of their music.

There are a lot of young country musicians turning out some very good music today.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
F
fburgtx Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F

Funny thig you see Alexa doesn't seem to care either.

If you think I take the time to type any this crap out you are nuts.

Well, maybe you can take enough time to see that I never said a gawd-damned thing about “Dillon” (your spelling) in any of MY posts. As for being out of shape on “black people”, I’m all willing to give credit where it is due. My issue is with Burns trying to make a bigger deal out of race and politics in country music than it is, rather than concentrating on the actual history.

Wanna see what constitutes real racism?? I’ve seen Elvis Costello show up MULTIPLE times in this documentary to comment on country music (as if he knows a damned thing about it). Google his thoughts/feelings on Ray Charles. THAT is what real racism sounds like...

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 222ND, 163bc, 219DW, 63 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,489
Posts18,529,776
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.