Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Trystan
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
LB,what is the minimum SD that should be used for big game?

Ummmm......dat was mean! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Sectional density cant be used as a foundation based off of a number and so LB's theory is basically built on a foundation that was proven to be full of cracks years ago but only because bullet construction differs and therefore cannot be determined.

My guess is you knew he'd readily spew numbers....lol

Mathematically however the principles are solid IF everything were equal. If a person understands this along with bullet construction maybe, just maybe it would be possible to make the theory work for oneself to a reasonable degree

Trystan

grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
HR IC

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The clowns are out in force in this thread led by their chief ignorants Coyote_Hunter and JGRaider. You guys are really good at being wrong laugh

I'm going to update my advice. For SMART hunters, I recommend high-SD high weight retention bullets when dealing with large and particularly dangerous game. For the chief clowns, I recommend messing with big bears with the low-SD frangible crap you prefer. Get on it laugh

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 09/29/19.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I would take Coyote Hunter's and JGRaiders word over yours LB any day of the week.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I would take Coyote Hunter's and JGRaiders word over yours LB any day of the week.

Don't worry. I wasn't anticipating any intelligence out of you.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Nor I from you. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Nor I from you. wink

The nice thing about physics is it does care what clowns like you think smile

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 09/29/19.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
It’s purely incidental to other qualities/requirements being met first.

The smart guys realize that ANY good hunting bullet, matched for game-specific performance, has an adequate SD for the intended use, regardless of if they even care.

SD is purely an attempted, notional penetration quotient and IGNORES the rest of the physics variables.

You can have never even heard of SD and pick the best bear, elephant, deer, or whatever bullet.

You can worship SD over all else, and pick the worst.

There’s your sign.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Nor I from you. wink

The nice thing about physics is it does care what clowns like you think smile

Nice thing about clowns like me,we actually killed animals with a variety bullets and made up our own minds as to what works for us. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The clowns are out in force in this thread led by their chief ignorants Coyote_Hunter and JGRaider. You guys are really good at being wrong laugh

I'm going to update my advice. For SMART hunters, I recommend high-SD high weight retention bullets when dealing with large and particularly dangerous game. For the chief clowns, I recommend messing with big bears with the low-SD frangible crap you prefer. Get on it laugh

So you wouldn't want 12 or 20ga slugs to deal with something dangerous like.....bear? Those are low SD (like 0.12), low expanding projectiles. I'm guessing no one in bear country ever carries a Rem 870 pump for that scenario....

Last edited by OrangeDiablo; 09/30/19.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo

So you wouldn't want 12 or 20ga slugs to deal with something dangerous like.....bear? Those are low SD (like 0.12), low expanding projectiles. I'm guessing no one in bear country ever carries a Rem 870 pump for that scenario....

I enjoy you CLUELESS Fhuqking Retards,trying to Out-Retard one another...by simply doing your best. Hint. Congratulations?!?

A Scattergun is easily amongst THE last platform I'd want,in Bear Country and zero of those lamentations are SD oriented. Though in fairness,I've only seen (9) Bears thus far today.

Bless your hearts for trying.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
And yet physics remains on my side while you blather on laugh

Above is LB's go-to statement for all his posts. You know what I say, SD is mid-evil pumpkin heaving crap, hows that. SD has no bearing in bullet performance, it is only a characteristic of measurement, like 1-foot=12-inches, that's it. It has no definitive application to anything with regard to physics/ballistics. Physics would be the material engineering of the components in testing and assessing the toughness of a material or in this case the bullet for the maximum amount of stress it can take before fracturing. The durability of a bullet goes to its elasticity and plastcity within a design range, this in turn reveals design strength and toughness at a given impact velocity and its expansion characteristics. Obviously firms like Hornady (their ELD) and others do painstaking research to develop projectiles that combine a given weight retention, expansion, and penetration at numerous tested impact velocities. I can assure you they never think about SD when they are developing these projectiles. They are basing their research on only materials engineering and how these materials interact under extreme stress through mediums. The physics involved would be combining these variables and refining them to a gnats ass. SD is only a number rendered by a bullets dimensions, hence its weight and diameter. These days with advanced technologies and the use of fusing advanced materials, SD is meaningless when it comes to penetration. For shooting solids it doesn't much matter whether pushing a .308, 147gr FMJ or .416, 400gr FMJ both will penetrate like all get-out, thus proving its about the materials not projectiles SD.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Only saw (12) this evening in an hour and a half,so (21) total for the day.

Hint...................

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

This is why .270 is so weak in terms of terminal performance on large game.

Good grief.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This is why .270 is so weak in terms of terminal performance on large game.

BTW Mr. expert its not a .270 its a .277, just upping your SD fractionally so you can get a bit more penetration. What a crock.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For better or worse most of the weir operators here in Kodiak and lot of the technicians (all that I know) use 12 gauge pump shotguns. And I knew a couple of people who worked for the state that killed more than one bear with a 12 gauge. Maybe not the best choice but they get used a lot.

Last edited by 14Homer; 10/01/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo

The SD on an unfired Brenneke slug is 0.130, if it expands to 80-cal and loses 10% of its weight it goes down to 0.100. Meanwhile, the SD on a 180-grain bullet retaining 70% of its weight and expanding to .50-cal is only 0.07. Hmm.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A little bit of the subject but something to think about. There is a salmon weir on a river that we fish on that is about a 2 hour 4 wheeler drive from the highway. There is a cabin by the weir for the people who count the fish to live in. This summer there were 2 girls in their 20's who would ride their 4 wheeler around wearing cut offs with bikini tops, and extra tuff boots. The girl in the back had a Remington 870 slung over her shoulder.

It was fun to see them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 14Homer
A little bit of the subject but something to think about. There is a salmon weir on a river that we fish on that is about a 2 hour 4 wheeler drive from the highway. There is a cabin by the weir for the people who count the fish to live in. This summer there were 2 girls in their 20's who would ride their 4 wheeler around wearing cut offs with bikini tops, and extra tuff boots. The girl in the back had a Remington 870 slung over her shoulder.

It was fun to see them.

It is a FASCINATING inside look at Retardation,for a Clueless Drooling DUMB Fhuqk,to "cite" what Minimum Wage folks are forced to slum as issued wares. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Flipside...burn up the phone and talk to every Brown Bear Guide you can,about entertaining a future Hunt and state plainly,that you will be using a Smoothbore,because of Bikini's,Xtra Tuff's,Minimum Wage and your 17 IQ Points conjoined in unison as "experience". Feel free to add your gullability to Myths and Wive's Tale,for even more "dramatic" pinache' and to "close" the deal. Hint. LAUGHING!

The ONLY reason this schit is sooooooooo fhuqking HILARIOUS,is due the fact you AMAZINGLY Stupid Fhuqks are doing your best!!!

Bless your hearts for trying though!

Yesterday evening.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...................

T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Rossimp

Above is LB's go-to statement for all his posts. You know what I say, SD is mid-evil pumpkin heaving crap, hows that. SD has no bearing in bullet performance, it is only a characteristic of measurement, like 1-foot=12-inches, that's it. It has no definitive application to anything with regard to physics/ballistics. Physics would be the material engineering of the components in testing and assessing the toughness of a material or in this case the bullet for the maximum amount of stress it can take before fracturing. The durability of a bullet goes to its elasticity and plastcity within a design range, this in turn reveals design strength and toughness at a given impact velocity and its expansion characteristics. Obviously firms like Hornady (their ELD) and others do painstaking research to develop projectiles that combine a given weight retention, expansion, and penetration at numerous tested impact velocities. I can assure you they never think about SD when they are developing these projectiles. They are basing their research on only materials engineering and how these materials interact under extreme stress through mediums. The physics involved would be combining these variables and refining them to a gnats ass. SD is only a number rendered by a bullets dimensions, hence its weight and diameter. These days with advanced technologies and the use of fusing advanced materials, SD is meaningless when it comes to penetration. For shooting solids it doesn't much matter whether pushing a .308, 147gr FMJ or .416, 400gr FMJ both will penetrate like all get-out, thus proving its about the materials not projectiles SD.

Not saying I agree with Llama Bob but I'm curious which bullet manufacturer personnel you spoke with to get this information? The reason I ask is because when I made a phone call to hornady and visited with Steve he told me that there higher sectional density offerings works better for penetration both in the field and in medium.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Trystan
Originally Posted by Rossimp

Not saying I agree with Llama Bob but I'm curious which bullet manufacturer personnel you spoke with to get this information? The reason I ask is because when I made a phone call to hornady and visited with Steve he told me that there higher sectional density offerings works better for penetration both in the field and in medium.

Trystain,

"There" is a direction. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Baby Man is looking there,because there are Bears there. Now there. Hint.

Here is there. Only (1) in this frame and it's over there. Hint.

Bless your heart for doing your best and being so prudent on the phone lines. LAUGHING!

You poor poor(literally) Retarded STUPID fhuqk.

Hint.

Laughing!.....................

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,700
Posts18,494,248
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.