Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I use mil/mil.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by aalf
When you spot your own shots, why do people insist on measuring how far off you are with the reticle, when it's easier and faster to just dial to your impact.

Do you call your corrections out loud then holler "send it" too......

Unless you're shooting from a bench rest, it's not always easy to dial the turret with one hand and hold the rifle steady and on target with the other. Easier to stay in position/on target, take a measurement, and dial it in. If the rifle is entirely supported and secured by a rest, then dialing to the impact is a good way to go.

I'll counter by saying if you can't hold to dial to impact, maybe you shouldn't have taken the shot to begin with, PRS not withstanding.....

Also, if you hold isn't good enough to dial to impact, then more than likely you couldn't spot your shot anyway.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When you spot your own shots, why do people insist on measuring how far off you are with the reticle, when it's easier and faster to just dial to your impact.

Unless you're shooting from a bench rest, it's not always easy to dial the turret with one hand and hold the rifle steady and on target with the other. Easier to stay in position/on target, take a measurement, and dial it in. If the rifle is entirely supported and secured by a rest, then dialing to the impact is a good way to go.

I'll counter by saying if you can't hold to dial to impact, maybe you shouldn't have taken the shot to begin with, PRS not withstanding.....

Also, if you hold isn't good enough to dial to impact, then more than likely you couldn't spot your shot anyway.

Big difference between holding with one hand and holding with two. Think prone, unsupported. Dialing to impact requires watching the sight picture, holding the rifle with one hand, and dialing with the other hand, all while holding the rifle rock solid on your original POA.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. It sounds to me like you're describing taking a shot, spotting miss through the scope, holding on original POA and dialing until the POA matches POI, yes?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

You meant hold it, eehh?

Either way grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It sounds to me like you're describing taking a shot, spotting miss through the scope, holding on original POA and dialing until the POA matches POI, yes?

Exactly.......

Again, I'm not talking about PRS and all the gyrations a guy has to go through during a match. Although I just went through this yesterday sitting, shooting off my tripod. Just not a good enough hold to spot every shot until I put a strangle hold on the gun.

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

There is no way that someone who actually shoots in a field environment would say something like that.

But I guess it works if you’re shooting water filled milk jugs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

There is no way that someone who actually shoots in a field environment would say something like that.
But I guess it works if you’re shooting water filled milk jugs.

Bullshit.....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have no issues with one, I like them for bench rest shooting, but have found for my hunting (100 yards is a long shot) they are much to busy and there is no need for "ranging" A #4 is a great point and shoot, but sucks for a bench target scope. Horses for courses.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Bullshit.....

So on a live animal, you shoot, miss, and you’re going to hold a rifle resting sitting on a pack, and adjust your turrets until it lines up with where the bullet impacted, on an animal that almost certainly moved after the shot?

There’s someone full of chit, but it ain’t me.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Bullshit.....

So on a live animal, you shoot, miss, and you’re going to hold a rifle resting sitting on a pack, and adjust your turrets until it lines up with where the bullet impacted, on an animal that almost certainly moved after the shot?

There’s someone full of chit, but it ain’t me.

I'm glad someone else was scratching their head other than me...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
LOL...not to speak for anyone, or to get in someone else’s pissing contest, but it’s done every day on ‘live animals’ from improvised rests, though the correction is usually faster to use the reticle to move the MILS and not the knobs, if time is an issue. The better the rest, the better everything is, but that technique has to be and IS used, often and accurately. Now, it’s not a typical hunting technique for 90% of what I do these days, but neither is any dialing or true FFP need on all but a few of my rigs. It’s good to know, good for practice/improvement, and not intended to be any ‘ideal’ solution or final ‘range type’ refinement....just an adaptation to circumstances in evidence.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 09/26/19.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
LOL...not to speak for anyone, or to get in someone else’s pissing contest, but it’s done every day on ‘live animals’ from improvised rests, though the correction is usually faster to use the reticle to move the MILS and not the knobs, if time is an issue. The better the rest, the better everything is, but that technique has to be and IS used, often and accurately. Now, it’s not a typical hunting technique for 90% of what I do these days, but neither is any dialing or true FFP need on all but a few of my rigs. It’s good to know, good for practice/improvement, and not intended to be any ‘ideal’ solution or final ‘range type’ refinement....just an adaptation to circumstances in evidence.

Ok, help me out here- When is that used hunting animals?

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

I don't think you're talking about the same thing as aalf.

You appear to be talking about seeing POI (somewhere offset from zero) and just holding the reticle that amount over to make the hit. That's basically the same as what the rest of us do, and whether you hold that amount on the reticle or dial it depends on the circumstances and is the same end result either way.

Aalf is talking about holding the rifle still enough to remain aimed at the same spot while he adjusts the dials to the bullet's POI, which is a different thing altogether. I won't say I've never done that, but it's certainly more prone to error if the rifle shifts even a tiny bit, so that it's mostly a useless technique in the field. I honestly don't know why anyone would do that when it's more accurate and reliable to just dial or hold the offset you see on the reticle, other than specific situations like benchrest where the rifle is held in a very solid rest.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dialing to a miss is asinine these days when a reticle can be used as a ruler to give an exact measurement to either dial or hold vs trying to hold a rifle completely steady with one hand while dialing with the other.

From a bench with a flat bottomed rifle in a rest that doesn't allow it to move, well maybe.... (not really.)

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Oh, I’d agree that trying to re-zero the rifle in the field, for only one range/wind scenario might seem a tough concept, especially IF you tried to do it the way it seems to be being presented. If you can’t make the MIL/MOA E&W call, you are gonna have trouble more trouble getting there, just blindly moving a reticle, but it can be done. I didn’t say I did it hunting, but I’m sure you could.....especially if the animal was asleep. LOL. My point is (1) Yes, a good reticle and using it is far faster. (2) calling the E&W accurately lets you just run the dials, off scope, faster.......which you all probably knew or know better than I do.....I’m just saying #2 is the SAME THING, whether you try to stay on the scope in a circus act outside of a good rest or not. The ONLY difference (really) is one is trying a visual confirmation instead of tactile/math, due to either spotty scope adjustments (mechanical issues) or not being able to use the E&W as indicated (mental issues). The physical ability to get there seems to be the sticking point being argued over. I’m not arguing what another individual can/can’t do. I’m just not seeing the need to go about it THAT way, in field/hunting, to arrive the same place as others utilizing the system and equipment as intended. I make ZERO claims to be an ‘expert’ here, because I happen to know and have worked with some serious SMEs, and good teachers of the art. I’m just trying to indicate the differences in thought process some seem to insist on having with trying to do the exact same thing, and how the simple appears magical sometimes, when it shouldn’t. Is YOUR way better/worse/doable/right/easy/hard?.....DEPENDS, but I guarantee someone else is getting it done ‘better’ no matter what we like to think. wink

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 09/27/19.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

No fear, I’m just not that sophisticated.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Oh, I’d agree that trying to re-zero the rifle in the field, for only one range/wind scenario might seem a tough concept, especially IF you tried to do it the way it seems to be being presented. If you can’t make the MIL/MOA E&W call, you are gonna have trouble more trouble getting there, just blindly moving a reticle, but it can be done. I didn’t say I did it hunting, but I’m sure you could.....especially if the animal was asleep. LOL. My point is (1) Yes, a good reticle and using it is far faster. (2) calling the E&W accurately lets you just run the dials, off scope, faster.......which you all probably knew or know better than I do.....I’m just saying #2 is the SAME THING, whether you try to stay on the scope in a circus act outside of a good rest or not. The ONLY difference (really) is one is trying a visual confirmation instead of tactile/math, due to either spotty scope adjustments (mechanical issues) or not being able to use the E&W as indicated (mental issues). The physical ability to get there seems to be the sticking point being argued over. I’m not arguing what another individual can/can’t do. I’m just not seeing the need to go about it THAT way, in field/hunting, to arrive the same place as others utilizing the system and equipment as intended. I make ZERO claims to be an ‘expert’ here, because I happen to know and have worked with some serious SMEs, and good teachers of the art. I’m just trying to indicate the differences in thought process some seem to insist on having with trying to do the exact same thing, and how the simple appears magical sometimes, when it shouldn’t. Is YOUR way better/worse/doable/right/easy/hard?.....DEPENDS, but I guarantee someone else is getting it done ‘better’ no matter what we like to think. wink

I Have one and plan on fooling around with it. However, if this means it is a simpler way of doing things, it may go back.

Last edited by battue; 09/27/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I honestly don't see what the fuss is about if all that is being discussed is a unit of measurement. In the end, one can call it what he wants and it is still a unit of measurement. If you have a scope on which the adjustments are marked in "glorps", with twelve glorps making a "fliggle", the end result is the same. Only the name has changed. Now, if one is speaking of the difference between using a scope with crosshairs or a single dot, as opposed to a scope with a whole bunch of dots, then there is a difference in how a problem is approached but, again, it doesn't matter what the unit of measurement is. It only matters that you are able to hold or dial for range and condition. When I'm on the silohuette range, I know I have to come up ten minutes from my 200m setting to hit a ram (hopefully). If the alternative is to come up 2.5 mils, the bullet won't care, the ram (which has about a fifty/fifty chance of being safe either way) won't care, the universe won't care. The only difference is in my mind. I happen to not care for reticles with a whole bunch of dots, hash marks, or printed instructions. I am perfectly happy with a simple reticle for hunting or target use and it doesn't much matter to me if the adjustments are in minutes, mils, or glorps, once I know just how far the measurement is. My only desire is that the bullet hit the point of aim; the rest is just crap. GD

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
These seem to be fine for use in the wide open, and where the target is on something that will fling up a sign if you miss. Not so fine for out there when the target is standing in the timber.

laissez les bons temps rouler
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by battue
These seem to be fine for use in the wide open, and where the target is on something that will fling up a sign if you miss. Not so fine for out there when the target is standing in the timber.

Or running in the timber....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,989 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,431
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.