Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Been awhile since we had a good, "my brush is thicker than yours" argument.. laugh

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
No bush in my playground

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
the MIL Trend is absolute Garbage, ...even The Military don't allocate that Nonsense

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GravyMeister
the MIL Trend is absolute Garbage, ...even The Military don't allocate that Nonsense

LOL. Hope that's sarcasm, or we have another one that's almost sigline worthy.

Last edited by Wrongside; 09/27/19.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
This thread is hilarious, Buy a 'good' [ss 3-9 hd] scope w/ turrets that match the reticle, read Formi's post on how to use it and go kill schidt. I have had one for about 4 months and have killed coyotes and jackrabbits w/ it and it works as well for hunting as it does for shooting steel. Anyone who can't figure out FFP and an MQ reticle needs to stay w/ what is comfy.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Yondering

Please read my post again, I said my experience is pretty much the opposite of what you stated, so I'm not sure how that "makes your point". A mil/mil scope is no more out of it's comfort zone in the woods than a duplex reticle is, in my experience.

If we're only considering FFP then your comment is valid, especially for the higher zoom factor stuff like a 3-15x, but this discussion is not about FFP it's about mil/mil scopes. I see no reason to confuse the discussion further by adding FFP vs SFP into the mix.

My point was it is pointless to use a FFP mil/mil reticle in dense woods when you may shoot 100 yds or less, especially at running deer. Argue with that.

Why would I change scopes for one situation to another, when one scope can do everything I need? If I have a good 3-9x mil/mil scope on a rifle and decide to hunt in the woods (and I do), I've got no reason at all to swap the scope out, and it's certainly not at a disadvantage.

Maybe your argument is against using a mil scope on something that'll never shoot past 100 yards, but that's really nothing to do with this thread. And still nothing I said backs up your argument. I'm not really sure what you're trying to show here?

Last edited by Yondering; 09/27/19.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Where did your PHD in professional arguing come from? You just like to hear yourself talk.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have, and use, both. If forced to make a choice (glad I'm not), I'd choose mil/mil.

One thing I like about "mils" is the ease of calculating:

1 mil is equal to 1/1000 of whatever unit you are working in.

For yards, 1 mil is 1 yard at 1,000 yards.

From an earlier example, it is .632 yards at 632 yards. Multiply .632 by 36" and you get 22.75"...I need a calculator or pen and paper to do that.

We were recently shooting .22 LR at 500 yards. Our hold was just over 30 mils. I was asked "How many inches above the target are we holding?"

At 500, 1 mil is .5 yards. Therefore, at that distance, 30 mils is 15 yards. There are three feet/yard...45 feet. Multiply that by 12 and I'm back to needing a calculator or pen and paper.

The reply was telling: "Nah, I understand feet. Thanks".

I will say, however, IF you have a reticle designed for holdover, the adjustments should match the reticle.

Having a mil reticle and moa adjustments, while workable is less than ideal. I've never seen a scope with moa reticle and mil adjustments. Curious. Have any of you?

AND, before anyone calls me out for 500 yards with a .22 lr, remember, I said we were "shooting" at 500 yards, not "hitting" at 500 yards. The occasional hit was fun. Almost a 2 second time of flight to the target and almost a 2 second time of flight for the sound to get back.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
FFP Mil Quad subtended like the 3-9 is pure joy.

Sure is.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Yondering

Please read my post again, I said my experience is pretty much the opposite of what you stated, so I'm not sure how that "makes your point". A mil/mil scope is no more out of it's comfort zone in the woods than a duplex reticle is, in my experience.

If we're only considering FFP then your comment is valid, especially for the higher zoom factor stuff like a 3-15x, but this discussion is not about FFP it's about mil/mil scopes. I see no reason to confuse the discussion further by adding FFP vs SFP into the mix.

My point was it is pointless to use a FFP mil/mil reticle in dense woods when you may shoot 100 yds or less, especially at running deer. Argue with that.

At 100 yards or more a FFP mil/mil scope is a benefit.
Say the deer is running at 20 mph perpendicular to you , depending on caliber /bullet/velocity, say a full value wind (10 mph) is 0.5 mils at 100 yards. The 100 yard shot will require 1.0 mil mil lead on the deer. this can easily be done on the retical, aka windshield.

How do you know the deer is running 20 mph? Take 3 average speeds a deer runs at, choose the one closest to your observations. This works all the way out in distance.

You can add or subtract wind to the equation as taking % differences if the deer is not running perpendicular to you.

A running deer can be used in the same way a steady wind.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Gee, those mil/mll scopes sure do make the difficult easy....

laissez les bons temps rouler
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by battue

The SS 3-9 hd checked a lot of boxes for me and is reliable and affordable, not an easy combo to find.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I reject the metric system so mil/mil means nothing to me but cluttered lines on a piece of glass. I hunt elk, not terrorists. But to each his own. Last week I watched a world-traveled hunter screw up his math on a $10,000 rifle scope combo. Zeroed at 200 yds he tested zero at 400 and was off 8" high. After we discussed, I said you errantly doubled your vertical scale by a factor of 2. He called the company out in UT, I believe it was and they told him he mistakenly doubled his vertical adjustments.
So he was going to write it all down on masking tape placed on the massive scope tube body. I said it was a good idea.............jeez

Last edited by bigwhoop; 09/29/19.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
LOL.....them multiples of ten are just plumb confusing for some.....others just screw up with rifle and scope adjustments, no matter what.

It’s just a 10-factor of whatever, instead of an arbitrary fraction of 1/60th of 1/360th. LOL

That’s all.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by lvmiker

The SS 3-9 hd checked a lot of boxes for me and is reliable and affordable, not an easy combo to find.

mike r

Did you at least hear the whoosh?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

Did you at least hear the whoosh?

Errrr...yes, eventually. Irony travels slower out here in desertgrin

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
👍

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wish we'd just settle on one of the two.

My pick would be Mil radians mainly because splitting stuff into tenths is easier on my poor math skills.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Why are so many shooters afraid of mil/mil scopes?

My guess would be they're math-challenged, or were beat up in junior high by somebody named Millford--or maybe Millie.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Millhouse was his name and math shaming was his game.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, Aero, 14 invisible), 1,333 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,678
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.