Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by GravyMeister
the FFP Trend is absolute Garbage, ...even The Military don't allocate that Nonsense

Very compelling.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
FFP, SFP, use what you like.

I refuse to buy another SFP scope. They are worthless to me. I want a scope that, when I shoulder the rifle, will work in any condition.

Reticle too thin because it’s getting dark? Turn up the magnification in FFP just until you can see it again.

Scope on 4x and an animal walks out at 350 yards? I don’t want to be [bleep] with any knobs. I strongly prefer holdover reticles to turrets while hunting. SFP reticle this is a fail. FFP the marks are the same no matter the magnification.

Scope on 9x because you have a SFP scope that you have set so if an animal walks out at 350 the magnification setting will be good? What do you do when an animal walks out at 15 yards? That’s a tough shot at any magnification.

Again, use what you like, your preference doesn’t bother me. I use fixed power and FFP.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
the FFP Trend is absolute Garbage, ...even The Military don't allocate that Nonsense

I would be interested to see the source documents for your statement.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
this was from an Internet Class ( " LongRange Shooting for Fun and Profit " ) I just Purchased OnLine ( offered by some Deflave Guy outta Miami )

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I use FFP for all of hunting guns and SFP for target shooting. I think the preponderance of BDC reticles in scopes is great excerpt that most of them are on SFP, so when hunting to use them correctly you need to make sure the power setting is at the correct value than than use the reticle for ranging or to choose the appropriate dot on the reticle to use. With a FFP scope you just choose the dot for the given range and squeeze the trigger, fewer things to go wrong when time is tight.

But in the end it is personal choice and hopefully you are effective with your given choice, and no shots to be taken at those whose choice is different than yours, it just a choice.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

LOL.

Yeah. Garbage. Got it. grin

My NightForce F1 was one of the scopes that started that "trend"... Had it on the same rifle for 11 years now since they came out with it. Killed countless stuff with it. Literally into the thousands of various animals from prairie dogs to whitetails. It was $2500 at the time for that "junk".

They have upped the game a bit since then. https://cameralandny.com/shop/night...ecd2826?variation=1927751&query=c623

Maybe if the military had invested more in that "junk"... they wouldn't have had to replace 10's of thousands of EOTechs. whistle

Oh. That's right... The US Military DOES get FFP "junk".....

USMC Scout Snipers Choose Nightforce Optics

The U.S. Marine Corps has selected Nightforce Optics (nightforceoptics.com) for its Advanced Tactical Riflescope (ATACR) to be included on the Mk13 Mod 7 rifle system chambered for .300 Win. Mag. This platform, topped with the ATACR 5-25X 56 mm first-focal-plane optic, represents a modern upgrade over the Vietnam War-era M40 package. The ATACR optic, chosen for its full suite of modern features, includes the Tremor3 reticle, a milliradian-based grid designed to expedite wind speed and distance calculations. “The increased capability of the newly issued Mk13 Mod 7 sniper rifle requires a scope that is as rugged, reliable, repeatable and dependable as the United States Marines tasked with using it,” said Tod Litt, business development manager for Nightforce’s military and law enforcement departments. “The Nightforce MIL-SPEC ATACR 5-25X 56 mm F1 was chosen as the day scope to take full advantage of the rifle systems’ competencies.” marines.mil

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2018/10/9/usmc-scout-snipers-choose-nightforce-optics/

Gotta love the 'Fire. So many experts. So little time to read it all.... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
What is the advantage of a first focal plane scope? When dialed to high magnification, the crosshairs black out a lot of the target at longer distances. I bought one, now I am wondering why I did.

Most owners of FFP scopes buy them because that's what Chris Kyle used.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Borchardt
What is the advantage of a first focal plane scope? When dialed to high magnification, the crosshairs black out a lot of the target at longer distances. I bought one, now I am wondering why I did.

Most owners of FFP scopes can't afford the scope Mr. Kyle used.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

That is funny right there. Quit worrying about the markings matching at all powers. Dial the freaking scope to max power and quit fittle farting. Let’s face even if you are a long range hunter its more likely you are not going to be shooting past point and shoot distances. You don’t need to dial or hold over. So you most need a reticle that works on the lowest power. Need to shoot distant, turn power ring to max. Simple, ffp is for prs seal team six wanna bees

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

That is funny right there. Quit worrying about the markings matching at all powers. Dial the freaking scope to max power and quit fittle farting. Let’s face even if you are a long range hunter its more likely you are not going to be shooting past point and shoot distances. You don’t need to dial or hold over. So you most need a reticle that works on the lowest power. Need to shoot distant, turn power ring to max. Simple, ffp is for prs seal team six wanna bees

Or you could just use what works. Right?

I'm sure not a Seal wannabe. Not in the least.

But I like shooting an FFP scope. Killed stuff at some pretty good distances with them too.

When calling coyotes and you have an educated one hanging up out there at 4-500 yards, you can give them what they need without much trouble. I've done it. Even with witnesses and another Campfire member present when it happened.

good thing we live in a free country to like what we like, and have the freedom to buy it with our own money and use it. No matter what others may think... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

While you’re “fittle farting” with your magnification dial (if you don’t forget to, in the heat of the moment), I’ll simply get to shooting without worrying about what mag I’m on. Oh, and this last fall I killed, and witnessed the killing of, several critters with FFP scopes on minimum magnification, in heavy forest cover at 40 meters and under.

Those that actually have experience hunting with well-designed FFP reticles know that they work fine on low power and at close range, while those that don’t seem to like to pontificate.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

While you’re “fittle farting” with your magnification dial (if you don’t forget to, in the heat of the moment), I’ll simply get to shooting without worrying about what mag I’m on. Oh, and this last fall I killed, and witnessed the killing of, several critters with FFP scopes on minimum magnification, in heavy forest cover at 40 meters and under.

Those that actually have experience hunting with well-designed FFP reticles know that they work fine on low power and at close range, while those that don’t seem to like to pontificate.

laugh

Yeah, here's a video of me NOT fittle farting with anything on a close range running coyote, and putting him down with one shot when he was in overdrive... smile

Shotgunner missed it twice. I fired the third and final shot. You can hear the VMax hit, and watch the coyote tumble in the video. Scope is a NightForce NXS 3.5-15x50 F1.

Didn't have time to "fittle fart".... LOL.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I bought it because it was cheap and so am I. But now that I know I emulating Chris, I feel a lot better about it.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 09/28/19.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by greydog
I first looked at some FFP scopes about forty years ago. I didn't like them then and don't like them now. Plainly, a lot of people like them just fine. GD

+1
I had a Zeiss Victory FFP and after zeroing the scope at 200 yards, I moved over to the 400 yard range to see how much the bullet dropped. The reticle totally obliterated the target! I read here it is not supposed yo do that theoretically but it did and I sold the scope.

It was a blessing in disguise to lose money, because now I am completely healed from ever desiring another FFP!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The more I use 'em, the more I like 'em personally.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have several ffp scopes, but I like the SWFA and NF reticle a lot better than the Bushnell LRHSi with it’s doughnut of death. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
So get the LRTSi....

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by huntsman22
So get the LRTSi....

Those look like good scopes.

https://www.bushnell.com/products/r...elite-tactical-lrts-riflescopes-3-12x44/

Wouldn't mind trying one myself.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Doug at Cameraland had a bunch of these for short $.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I have several ffp scopes, but I like the SWFA and NF reticle a lot better than the Bushnell LRHSi with it’s doughnut of death. 😎
So get the LRTSi....

Yep, or the LRTS (no 'i') if you want a little finer crosshair for daytime precision work.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,513 guests, and 1,438 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,016
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.