Hop To
Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by Nrut
Does anybody make a 1:8 or 1:9 twist off the rack .270?
Or do you have to go to a custom barrel?

Not that I am aware of.

I am having a fast twist 270 built right now. Specifically to shoot the 170gr Bergers. I am leaving the actual twist up to my gunsmith. He is an accomplished LR shooter, and I trust his decision.. I told him I thought 1:8, but he felt a 1:9 will do anything I am asking. Will see what he decides.

Steyr.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Trystan,

Hmm. Thought you might be knowledgeable enough to grasp why the 6.5x55 cannot be the 6.5 Creedmoor--which is why the 6.5 Creedmoor is far outselling the 6.5x55 even in Europe. But whatever....

The 6.5 creedmoor connected a lot of dotz for the average hunter and for long range competitors that the swede doesn't. I should have put a joking in jest emoji to better convey my message. As a hunter and handloader who likes Tikka rifles unfortunately none of the 6.5 Creedmoor benefits apply to me, the reason why I often joke in jest making comparisons between the swedemoor and the creedmoor 😁

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 09/28/19.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I had three - 6.5 CM's (Tikka, sold to a buddy, Barrett Fieldcraft and Kimber) and have concluded it is a very easy cartridge to load for and shoot well. All three rifles have stellar accuracy without the need for incense or an exorcism. Last year I tagged out on an Alaska caribou and a NM cow elk. But I still prefer the .270 Win. cause it can handle long-range, drops and windage a bit better. Might keep the Whittakers B. F. "limited edition" and the Kimber Montana - we'll see.

The research done by the Hornady engineers and a couple of others was very thought out and executed.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CRS

You give a competent person a rifle they like. No matter the chambering, I would bet that range results will be stellar and hunting results more than satisfactory.

I have said forever, if I were forced to hunt with one cartridge the rest of my life, it could be anyone one of five dozen cartridges, and I doubt the outcome would be different from one over another.

Indeed, it’s the craftsman, not the tool.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I don't hate the .270, but I'd never buy one.

I have a 7mm-08 that kicks significantly less - which is important to me - and performs close enough to the .270 (at least with factory ammunition) that I don't feel handicapped in any comparison with that venerable American classic.

And yes, I know all the arguments why a .277 bullet that is 10 grains heavier than my .284 bullet, when started at roughly the same speed, is "better" than what I'm using. I just don't care - the difference is too small.

And I know that it is relatively easy to juice up a handloaded .270 so that its 150gr bullet will go significantly faster than my 140gr bullet. Again, I don't care.

The 7mm-08 is enough for my needs, and gentle enough on my shoulder, that I can really enjoy shooting it, while having solid confidence that it will do well in nearly any hunting situation in which I am likely to find myself - as long as I do my part. All of which is more important to me than ft-lbs, muzzle velocity, SD, BC, or any other numerical value you want to put on it.

I wish I had learned this 40 years ago, and spent less time searching for the "perfect" rifle and cartridge and more time searching for elk.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by czech1022
I don't hate the .270, but I'd never buy one.

I have a 7mm-08 that kicks significantly less - which is important to me - and performs close enough to the .270 (at least with factory ammunition) that I don't feel handicapped in any comparison with that venerable American classic.

And yes, I know all the arguments why a .277 bullet that is 10 grains heavier than my .284 bullet, when started at roughly the same speed, is "better" than what I'm using. I just don't care - the difference is too small.

And I know that it is relatively easy to juice up a handloaded .270 so that its 150gr bullet will go significantly faster than my 140gr bullet. Again, I don't care.

The 7mm-08 is enough for my needs, and gentle enough on my shoulder, that I can really enjoy shooting it, while having solid confidence that it will do well in nearly any hunting situation in which I am likely to find myself - as long as I do my part. All of which is more important to me than ft-lbs, muzzle velocity, SD, BC, or any other numerical value you want to put on it.

I wish I had learned this 40 years ago, and spent less time searching for the "perfect" rifle and cartridge and more time searching for elk.

I'd say all that time searching for the perfect cartridge paid off 😎

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 09/28/19.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I do, 150 grain Partitions and 270 Winchesters go with white tail deer hunting like a campfire and a skillet of fried bologna!

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been hunting with a 270 WIN since 1978, doubt I would ever give it up (although I do hunt with and like the 30-06 SPRG and the 308 WIN as well). Just put a new Leupold VX-3 riflescope on my longest owned 270 WIN and loaded a box of ammo (140 grain Hornady Interlock) - Ruger M77 my wife bought for me in 1978 - going to use it for whitetail this season.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
I just got my first one. Bought it used from another member here. Got it sighted in with 130 gr Nosler Partitions. Haven't killed anything with it yet. I like the rifle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I believe you did good!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by CRS

You give a competent person a rifle they like. No matter the chambering, I would bet that range results will be stellar and hunting results more than satisfactory.

I have said forever, if I were forced to hunt with one cartridge the rest of my life, it could be anyone one of five dozen cartridges, and I doubt the outcome would be different from one over another.

Indeed, it’s the craftsman, not the tool.

yep

Shoot what you like, like what you shoot, but most important, is shot placement.

For competition shooting, every extra advantage will end up on the results page.
For the hunting that the majority do every year, it does not matter.

Arcus Venator
IC B3

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by jwall
I just got my first one. Bought it used from another member here. Got it sighted in with 130 gr Nosler Partitions. Haven't killed anything with it yet. I like the rifle.

I hope you noticed the bolt handle is on the WRONG side ! whistle
laugh

Jerry

Looks "right" to me...
Bob

.270 Rem 700

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by WTM45
Originally Posted by CRS

Not that I am aware of.

I am having a fast twist 270 built right now. Specifically to shoot the 170gr Bergers. I am leaving the actual twist up to my gunsmith. He is an accomplished LR shooter, and I trust his decision.. I told him I thought 1:8, but he felt a 1:9 will do anything I am asking. Will see what he decides.

Steyr.

Thanks

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jwall

laugh

Jerry

ah... no.
the bolt is on the proper side for those of us that are blessed.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RGK
[quote=jwall]

laugh

Jerry

Looks "right" to me...
Bob

.270 Rem 700

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/

Originally Posted by RoninPhx

ah... no.
the bolt is on the proper side for those of us that are blessed.

grin grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My 85 yr old uncle is a professional bullsprayer. He has always been a staunch 270 supporter. That's the only thing I have against the cartridge.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
It’s about time to get those .270’s out!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 270 will become even better when they start putting fast twist barrels on them......And I see that fast twist in a 270 has been covered in this post, my bad….

Last edited by nimrodtracy; 09/29/19.

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CRS

Not that I am aware of.

Steyr.

google fu shows 1:8.6, could not find it on the Steyr website.

Last edited by CRS; 09/29/19.

Arcus Venator
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by CRS

Not that I am aware of.

Steyr.

Barrett.

The 270 Fieldcraft is now 1:9.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I KNOW the Steyr M Professionals in .270 are 1:8.6
Pro Hunters were stated to be as well, but I'm not sure about Classics.

Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1Longbow, 160user, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 58 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,820
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.