Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by boliep
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Why is it that if a Winchester has a trigger people don't like the gun is junk, but the first thing people have been doing for decades with a Remington is replace the trigger?

Its not that the MOA is a bad trigger. It was something that didnt need to be messed with. Browning took it upon themselves to fu ck with a time proven design. By time proven, i dont mean antiquated either. The original design is very robust and easily adjusted and field proven. The moa just wasnt needed. Whats really laughable are the guys reading these posts and deciding they need to change out a MOA for a $120.00 timney, as that is a complete lateral movement. Not an upgrade at all, but a waste of money. All the MOA trigger needs is a simple spring upgrade, sold by erniethegunsmith.

I have done it both ways. The replacement Timeny and the MOA trigger with the spring replaced in it came out about the same. Both are light
and crisp. The spring cost was very noticeable less than the Timney.

That's what I'm saying my friend. The cost of the ernie's spring is around $7.00. The cost of the Timney around $120.00. There's no advantage to going with the Timney. It's actually a sideways move like I said, except you unnecessarily spent $120.00 on a purchase that was not needed... What a lot of guys get out of these threads is the MOA is garbage, but a lot of us don't go into full disclosure. That's what I'm doing right now. The MOA is a great trigger. It is smooth, the pull weight can be lightened to around 2 3/8 pounds, there is very minimal creep and overtravel. What I don't like about it is it was an unnecessary modification that Browning decided to do to change the model 70 and make it more their style of rifle. I like the simplicity and ruggedness of the oldstyle trigger myself and I know others feel the same way. But for someone to assume the MOA is a horrible trigger and just replace it with a Timney, before giving it a chance, that is a big error on their part...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Could not agree more, BSA.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I own 4 EW's 264, 270WSM, 300WM, 338WM. I own 4 Super Grades, 243, 257 Roberts, Cabela's anniversary 7-08, and a 338WM All Baco's made in Portugal. I have one New Haven Classic 5 digit that started life as a 270 Win until I rebarreled it to 240 Wby. I also own 5 Pre 64's, Pre War 22 Hornet Carbine, 257 Roberts made in 1958, 30-06 Transition and two 375 H&H's One made in 1946 and the other in 1960. I don't have a problem with any of them. I use the EW's each year for hunting and have bagged many head of game. When the cross hairs are on the game, it doesn't matter what is stamped on the barrel.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
No one ever mentions these possibilities...

What if, just if, the Portuguese Craftsmen are BETTER at their job in assembling and finishing the model 70 rifles, than the US gun assembler? What if "assembled in Portugal" stamped rifles are HIGHER quality than the FN-South Carolina made rifles?

There were certainly quality issues with the last few years of New Haven model 70 rifles. It is safe to write that current Portugal assembled rifles are higher quality than at least the late stage New Haven Winchester model 70 rifles, which were made and assembled in the USA, by US union workers.

Or, what if Portugal assembled rifles weren't BETTER than, but every bit the "just" EQUAL of FN-South Carolina guns? No one discusses these possibilities.

It could very well be the case. We need to be objective, not emotional.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks to me like most commentors on this thread have agreed, or at least not disagreed that the Portugal rifles are as good as USA rifles (with the exception of the last few years at NH) However, some don’t like the idea of an American icon being built elsewhere, and some prefer the classic trigger.

Personal choice. No right or wrong.

Last edited by southtexas; 10/06/19.
IC B2

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
And sections of Boeing planes are fabricated in India.
It's a world marketplace.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Two quick notes:

1. If the OP is looking at a 7x57 I believe it'll be manufactured/assembled in South Carolina since, from what I understand, that special run was made before assembly was moved to Portugal.

2. Regarding the Ernie spring v. Timney trigger, I replaced the MOA spring with an Ernie spring and it only changed the pull by a few ounces, meaning that I was pretty well stuck at about 3 pounds either way. Instead of spending the money for the Timney - I hate the ergonomics of the trigger shoe, by the way; it's obviously made for the X-Bolt - I just took my cutters and started trimming the Ernie spring. Problem solved: extremely crisp trigger (primary MOA marketing point) at just under two pounds. The biggest pain was getting the hot glue off the adjustment screw. BACO really must not want the trigger pull messed with in spite of making it adjustable.

As for the New Haven/South Carolina v. Portugal argument, not a big issue with me. I grew up shooting A-5 Belgian Browning shotguns, and the first gas gun I ever bought was a B-2000: "Made in Belgium, Assembled in Portugal" is stamped on the barrel. At first I felt betrayed: Brownings are supposed to be made in Belgium (ironic since JB was about as American as they come), but it dropped lots of redhead, canvasback, and bluebills to a heavy load of No 5s (way before the advent of manditory non-toxic shot) just like the Belgian A-5s did. So, from a utilitarian point of view, no big deal.

But I understand the sentiment about hating to see an American icon stamped with a foreign manufacturers stamp. (BTW, wouldn't BACO itself qualify as betrayal since it's foreign-owned as well?) In my mind it's sort of like seeing an old A-5 stamped "Made in Japan" even though the Japanese guns showed better manufacturing tolerances, fit, and finish (certainly the steel was harder): it just doesn't "feel" right, which is an emotional thing. Of course, in Winchester's case, it also showcases the struggle in American manufacturing over the past fifty or sixty years - which isn't an emotional thing - but that is a completely different set of arguments.

Just my $.02.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Pardon my ignorance as I've never owned a m70. I recently bought a stainless m70 ultimate shadow from a member here. The barrel is stamped Made in the USA BACO Inc. Morgan Utah. Is this rifle assembled in Portugal as well? And what do M70 guy's think of Jewell triggers for these rifles? Thanks

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Showdog75
Pardon my ignorance as I've never owned a m70. I recently bought a stainless m70 ultimate shadow from a member here. The barrel is stamped Made in the USA BACO Inc. Morgan Utah. Is this rifle assembled in Portugal as well? And what do M70 guy's think of Jewell triggers for these rifles? Thanks

That one is made in USA, as it states. A jewell trigger is a fancy sob... Really not needed on a model 70 hunting rifle...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by buttstock

What if, just if, the Portuguese Craftsmen are BETTER at their job in assembling and finishing the model 70 rifles, than the US gun assembler? What if "assembled in Portugal" stamped rifles are HIGHER quality than the FN-South Carolina made rifles?

There were certainly quality issues with the last few years of New Haven model 70 rifles. It is safe to write that current Portugal assembled rifles are higher quality than at least the late stage New Haven Winchester model 70 rifles, which were made and assembled in the USA, by US union workers.

Or, what if Portugal assembled rifles weren't BETTER than, but every bit the "just" EQUAL of FN-South Carolina guns? No one discusses these possibilities.

79s brings these points up all the time.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by southtexas
Looks to me like most commentors on this thread have agreed, or at least not disagreed that the Portugal rifles are as good as USA rifles (with the exception of the last few years at NH) However, some don’t like the idea of an American icon being built elsewhere, and some prefer the classic trigger.

Personal choice. No right or wrong.

Yep. It just depends on what you want and like.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Showdog75

That one is made in USA, as it states. A jewell trigger is a fancy sob... Really not needed on a model 70 hunting rifle...

I need all the help I can get hence really good triggers. Wish Triggertech made one for the m70, they are the cat's ass.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I was at the range today getting ready for deer season on this rather cool and blustery fall day. My M70 is a BACO / Made in USA Super Grade Featherweight limited edition in 7x57. Beautiful rifle I might add and now wears a fixed 6X x 36 Leupold scope. Shot 160gr Speer spitzers and Hornady 139gr Interlock spitzer bullets equally accurate at 100 yds. What was nice that before I left I took two shots at 200 yards with the Hornadys......they landed 1.28" apart center to center. Not bad for a stock rifle that supposedly had a bad trigger. I'll be hunting with it in November......

I also have a 1980s M70 push feed XTR Featherweight 7x57 made in the old factory. Just as accurate.....can't tell a difference accuracy-wise between the two.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Also the FN plant in South Carolina was never intended to make hunting rifles. That plant produces tools for US Army and other branches. Ie M16, M4, M249 and the numerous variations of the M240 (probably one of the finest machine guns ever built) throw on top of that there source of stocks in the US the qc was horrendous. What folks don’t know is Portugal is home to all the stock making for FN. we are talking grade 5 wood for there shotguns come out of this facility. They can control qc in house.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

Also the FN plant in South Carolina was never intended to make hunting rifles. That plant produces tools for US Army and other branches. Ie M16, M4, M249 and the numerous variations of the M240 (probably one of the finest machine guns ever built) throw on top of that there source of stocks in the US the qc was horrendous. What folks don’t know is Portugal is home to all the stock making for FN. we are talking grade 5 wood for there shotguns come out of this facility. They can control qc in house.

All good points john. One of the reasons i like the early FN Herstal SPR and PBR rifles. Those were some damn good rifles with good barrels and old style triggers and known for their accuracy. I dont think Browning had their grubby hands involved in those rifles though.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A “Model 70” without the original trigger, and made in Portugal is not a “Winchester Model 70.”

It’s something else. That’s fine, just call it something honest.

Not sure what would be wrong calling it an “FN Model 60?”

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I said it a several times maybe you should of pooled up you beer drinking money and worked at deal with FN and Olin corporation so you could manufacture the model 70. Also browning was not in favor of the assembly in Portugal. They said Americans don’t take well to something iconic like the model 70 being assembled outside the US. But FN thought otherwise reason I guess Europeans don’t have that emotional tie with a product due to everything over there being made everywhere. Also the individual who runs the Portugal plant is thought of very highly within FN and pushed for this. But people will still continue to bitch about it I guess..

Originally Posted by Brad
A “Model 70” without the original trigger, and made in Portugal is not a “Winchester Model 70.”

It’s something else. That’s fine, just call it something honest.

Not sure what would be wrong calling it an “FN Model 60?”

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
While some may balk at the Win 70 being made in Portugal, those that I have used had better fit and finish than those from South Carolina. While us old dogs care, the younger crowd doesn't have that affinity established.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A lot of these comments remind me of a discussion my father and uncle had in the late 60s or very early 70s. My uncle had a pretty good collection of pre-64 M70s, and he was adamant that the post-64 rifles absolutely were not M70s. "It's not a bad rifle, but it isn't a Model 70. The should call it something else." Fifty years later, "It's not a bad rifle, but it isn't a Model 70. They should call it something else."

Evidently time truly is cyclical. laugh

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rev: In 1962 my dad told me he would buy me my own deer rifle. He and Mom had M70s. I did some research and told him I wanted a M70 FWT in 30/06. The guy at the Gun shop convinced him that M 70 quality was going down and Remingtons brand new M 700 was far superior. So I got a 30/06 M700 with a 20” barrel that kicked like a mule. But I recall the same conversations that the “new” M70s weren’t really M70s and should be given a different name.

the more things change...

Last edited by southtexas; 10/16/19.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

414 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,583 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,668
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.