Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by slumlord
I have read a few sermons out this book. One of my keepers.

If youre going to read something, read something good.

Hell with that john greasham old man soap opera BS.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Some might argue that both are fiction.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had a philosophy professor who was a Catholic Priest. He told me that if I was looking for the truth, I should read more fiction.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by IZH27
I used to lean heavily in the direction of Calvin. He leaned strongly on Augustine. An argument made against Calvin is that he followed Augustine in applying Neo-Platonic reasoning to the idea of predestination. In doing so he introduced error.

Luther stands in contrast by working hard to accept scriptural tension as they are presented. His argument was that he would not use reason to explain away tensions but let them stand. Calvin tended to apply reason run to conclusions that were a bit questionable. If God is God it may be better to let tensions stand and not try to explain those tensions in a way that satisfies the human mind.

Augustine is quoted by Calvin on nearly every other page of the Institutes.
I like Luther very much.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I don't really see how figuring out how old a religion is makes it any more valid. People had crazy ideas way back when too, and a crazy old idea is no better than a crazy new one. I think it's pretty fair to say that back in the day, they were all prone to taking things to the extreme when it came to their religious beliefs, at least for the more popular ones.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
interesting in thought - good - but I had not thought of or at all intended that Roman Catholicism be seen or conjured as any such root stock. Protestant denominations are not offshoots from, nor were they nurtured by, Roman Catholicism.

The way I heard it there was the Church. Then Martin Luther split off with his theses. Then it all got confusing with no authority to define the true interpretation, scripture meant what you wanted it to mean. So there are 36,000, more or less, conflicting interpretations.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by nighthawk
interesting in thought - good - but I had not thought of or at all intended that Roman Catholicism be seen or conjured as any such root stock. Protestant denominations are not offshoots from, nor were they nurtured by, Roman Catholicism.

The way I heard it there was the Church. Then Martin Luther split off with his theses. Then it all got confusing with no authority to define the true interpretation, scripture meant what you wanted it to mean. So there are 36,000, more or less, conflicting interpretations.

Just because the Catholic Church claimed authority to interpreter scripture at the point of the sword, doesn't make it "the true interpretation"....

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So what do you think Matthew 16:19 means? Seems pretty straight forward to me. Point of a sword? Knights of Columbus have their commodore hats and sabers but that's ceremonial.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't understand any of this predestination stuff. Metaphysically predestination requires the concept of time. But metaphysically since God made the universe, including time, He cannot be subject to time. Time is irrelevant to Him. (But do we really want to go down this rabbit hole again?)

Which explains a lot.
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
So what do you think Matthew 16:19 means? Seems pretty straight forward to me. Point of a sword? Knights of Columbus have their commodore hats and sabers but that's ceremonial.

According to that verse, is it your position that everything the Catholic church has done through the ages was right as good? If not, why not?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by ironbender
A feller makes his own luck.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^I believe every damn bit of this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Mad
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Are you a Calvinist? Believe some things are preordained?

I am much more so than when I was younger.

Nope. Calvin was a lowya and about as fuct up as a football bat. We have free-will. That is one of our unique gifts from God and our fates are determined on whether we choose wisely or not. Calvinism's pre-ordaination is heretical and runs counter to the free-will concept.

Even Judas could have been forgiven had he chosen to be and asked. He was given the opportunity.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That's right, if in a low point, kick off whatever is on you, stand up and walk right up out of that hole. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Online Mad
Campfire Ranger
Not necessarily telling or definitive. As in nature, from some very well understood and supposedly sound roots we have seen grow some very uncharacteristic offshoots.

Interesting thought. Catholicism is the root stock, the 36,000 Protestant denominations are the offshoots (including Calvinism).

Uhhhm..........not quite. The church of Rome rebelled from the original church founded by Christ and documented in The Acts. They became a politcal player in the west rather than a church

Z
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
...Then Martin Luther split off with his theses...

I was always surprised that he didn't go on for his doctorate(s) with dissertation(s).

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Are you a Calvinist? Believe some things are preordained?

I am much more so than when I was younger.

Yes, and I don't apologize for it.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If Unconditional election and Irresistible Grace are true, then WHY do Calvinists evangelize? If you can't choose or reject, then whats the point?

Just asking

Last edited by muffin; 10/02/19.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
There are verses that support both positions, but given the proposition that God (assuming existence) is omniscient and has perfect knowledge of the end from the beginning, no deviation from that End/Grand Plan is possible, hence all events must necessarily proceed toward that end.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by xxclaro

According to that verse, is it your position that everything the Catholic church has done through the ages was right as good? If not, why not?

When the pope is speaking ex cathedra, with his full authority, on doctrinal matters, yes. Not if he picks a trifecta at the track. The verse makes no sense if applied to non-doctrinal matters, matters not between heaven and earth, God and man.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Uhhhm..........not quite. The church of Rome rebelled from the original church founded by Christ and documented in The Acts. They became a politcal player in the west rather than a church

You mean they rejected Peter and his successors? News to me.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Online Mad
Campfire Ranger
Without Paul, the New Testament would be much shorter.

The apostles chose Matthias as the 13th apostle to replace Judas. Christ chose Saul/Paul. Why is that?

Z
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

146 members (450yukon, 673, 7mm_Loco, 1minute, 2ndwind, 25 invisible), 1,019 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,354
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.