Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
in a recent thread I asked how many of us still use the 94 year young 270 Winchester. Evidently many do! In other threads and discussions I have noted the excellent hunting experiences I have had with the 7x57, 25-06, 257 Roberts and the great 250/3000! I could have also praised the 30-06, 280 Remington 300 H&H and the .338. All in my experience worked just fine and in most cases most would have produced the same results, either a miss, my fault,or a fine trophy.
Having said all this my observation is this, most modern rifles when teamed up with modern powders and bullets take the rifle/bullet combinations out of the questionable category. The questionable component is us! They all work just fine, at times we don’t!

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have owned all of those caliber rifles but now the only one i don/t have anymore is the 30-06.

A guy made me an offer for it and for what it cost me to put together i could not refuse.

It was done on a real nice Mauser action.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Within reason it's always been the Indian and not the arrow.

Or, to quote Jack O'Connor quoting an Indian guide, "any gun good gun, shoot'um good".

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
An uncle of mine killed more deer than enough, with a .22 Hornet...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What matters most is:

1. Good health

2. A good spot

The rest is fun to think about, but really just mental gymnastics

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
What matters most is:

1. Good health

2. A good spot

This is so true. I’ve had seasons where I’ve lacked these things, and either is absolutely more important than the gun, bullet, or cartridge that fires it.

God bless America.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It's not like anybody on this board couldn't survive just fine with a 22LR if it was legal for all game.

All the rest is just for fun. What's truly important are things like: family, shared experiences, safety, health, desire to hunt, time off from work, etcetera.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
God and family.Everything else is a bonus.

Last edited by Huntz; 09/25/19.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Huntz
God and family.Everything else is a bonus.

>YES X2

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your health is your wealth.
We all take it so much for granted until we don't have it.
We discuss guns and cartridges ad nauseam, but in reality I haven't seen enough difference shooting what I do to make any difference.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Desertranger

Having said all this my observation is this, most modern rifles when teamed up with modern powders and bullets take the rifle/bullet combinations out of the questionable category. The questionable component is us! They all work just fine, at times we don’t!

Modern rifles take away the plausible deniability that hunters have had previously. You can't blame it on bullet failure. You still might get away with the scope being knocked catawampus, but it's getting harder and harder to make even that excuse.

Me? My last "bullet failure" was 2005. My last "scope misaligned" was 2008 (it was on Weaver pivot mounts that got bumped). By 2011, I had to blame it on a physical disability. I was kneeling to take a shot and a previously injured foot gave out just as I squeezed the trigger.

What's the world coming to? I mean it. We're all running out of excuses!

At least in turkey hunting I can still blame it on the choke being too tight.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
It's not like anybody on this board couldn't survive just fine with a 22LR if it was legal for all game.

All the rest is just for fun. What's truly important are things like: family, shared experiences, safety, health, desire to hunt, time off from work, etcetera.

Originally Posted by Windfall
Your health is your wealth.
We all take it so much for granted until we don't have it.
We discuss guns and cartridges ad nauseam, but in reality I haven't seen enough difference shooting what I do to make any difference.

Well stated and agree 100% with both of these posters.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shaman

Modern rifles take away the plausible deniability that hunters have had previously. You can't blame it on bullet failure. You still might get away with the scope being knocked catawampus, but it's getting harder and harder to make even that excuse.

Me? My last "bullet failure" was 2005. My last "scope misaligned" was 2008 (it was on Weaver pivot mounts that got bumped). By 2011, I had to blame it on a physical disability. I was kneeling to take a shot and a previously injured foot gave out just as I squeezed the trigger.

What's the world coming to? I mean it. We're all running out of excuses!

At least in turkey hunting I can still blame it on the choke being too tight.

Probably won't be too long before you watch target acquisition and lock on with your phone, then press "fire"........

"Uhhh.....batteries were low....".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From personal experience I can say when your health starts going downhill, it definitely limits what you can do as far as hunting is concerned.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
in a recent thread I asked how many of us still use the 94 year young 270 Winchester. Evidently many do! In other threads and discussions I have noted the excellent hunting experiences I have had with the 7x57, 25-06, 257 Roberts and the great 250/3000! I could have also praised the 30-06, 280 Remington 300 H&H and the .338. All in my experience worked just fine and in most cases most would have produced the same results, either a miss, my fault,or a fine trophy.

I don't know where the fu ck you have been, but there have been good bullets since 1947. There were also good rifles and powder back then that were more than capable of moa accuracy. I'll fill you in on a little secret, every bullet manufacture has been trying to compete with said bullet from 1947 and many have fallen short.... Just sayin..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
30 years ago I figured out that the 7X57 killed anything I shot with ease. I never forgot that! I also hunted with a 270 a lot and have owned 3 of them. For the last 4 years its been a 6.5X55 swede. The one thought that goes thru my mind is had I started out hunting with a 22/250 or 243 would I have seen that there is little need for the big cartridges I use? I guess it gives me reassurance knowing I'm overgunned

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 09/27/19.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by TomM1
What matters most is:

1. Good health

2. A good spot

The rest is fun to think about, but really just mental gymnastics

Amen, Tom

Every centerfire rifle I own has killed what it was aimed at. I have a pretty good spread of rifles from 25 to 35 caliber and they all work and nary a .270 in the bunch. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
My big game hunting primarily consisted of white tail deer in thick woods. So, rifles that could shoot well at very long distances had no special appeal. .250 Savage, .257 Roberts, 6.5x55, 7x57, .300 Savage, .303 British, 8x57 .35 Remington - these were all great performers in our hunting camp. They were also considered to have more to offer than the .30-30. Some of the guys used, "big guns" (i.e. .308 and .30-06). I did much of my deer harvesting with a .32 Special ('94 carbine) and a .35 Remington (Remington M08). For the deep woods hunting I am describing, I don't think any of the modern developments would work any better.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I like to focus on the details and intricacies of bullets, loads, trajectories, calibers, cartridges, scope reticles, ideal rifle packing/shooting weight, etc. Because they are things I can control. I can no longer control how my body is going to do on any given morning. I can't control whether the elk are going to be within 5 miles of me, but I can get all of those largely pointless details "right". It helps, in the day-to-day of hunting season, to feel like I have control of the equipment, and to feel assured that I have made the best choices for my hunting goals when I can't control the most significant things.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Here's why it's the Indian and not the arrow, in my opinion:

The difference between .27 caliber and .35 caliber is 0.08 inches.

0.08 inches is less than 1/2 of 1 percent of the size of a deer's chest cavity.

Both will kill with a CNS shot.

Both will penetrate anything we normally hunt, including bones, with modern bullets.

In most cases death will be caused by loss of blood. The larger hole made by the .35 caliber bullet will enable faster bleeding out but the difference is probably insignificant.

That's why I think most of the stuff we discuss is irrelevant. Success would be far better if we'd practice shooting instead.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 2ndwind, 44automag, 673, 16 invisible), 1,507 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,486
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.