Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
I am considering finally ordering a NULA before Melvin retires. While I have had great success with the .270Win., .308 Win., 300 WM and the 300WSM, I can't help but go back to the 30-06. From the mountains of Alaska to the lower 48 - from pronghorn to moose - I just know the '06 will handle it all. I would order a #2 barrel, cerakoted at 22". From bullet weights at 150 - 220, what am I missing?
I know this may become a "popcorn thread" but I am interested to read what others might say.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
HR IC

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I don't think you could do much better than that.

Here's a good thread on the topic, with Mule Deer's reply:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...f-you-had-to-downsize-today#Post12561455

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I might tweak it with a 23 or 24 inch barrel, but that’s personal preference.

Just because I am wandering around doesn't mean I am lost.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Joe, one thing I know, the older I get the less I enjoy recoil, and that's only going to intensify the older I get (I'm 1.5 years away from 60 - I know you're older).

For me, I'd go 270 Win. As my friend Dober said to me recently, "the 270 is the only LA cartridge I'll own anymore." He's in the same place as me with recoil, and he's a guy that has burned up multiple 340 Wby bbl's, mostly shooting rock chucks.

I'd specify a 23", no.2, 1-9" twist.

I'll never own another 30-06 in a rifle as light as the NULA...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'd stay with a .30, but for a NULA it would be the .308 Winchester.

IC B2

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it were me I’d just get a Fieldcraft. I’ve owned a couple of Nula’s over the past few years and in hindsight I would never go through the wait again, the quality of the rifles just wasn’t there. Both had issues with the safety, the cutout for the safety switch was a little rough and accuracy on both rifles was average, I had better fit, finish, and accuracy with the Kimber I sold to help fund the purchase of one of them. The wait time on the last one I bought was 16 or 17 months.

If you want to buy one just to have a rifle made by Melvin Forbes then by all means I can understand, but in reality there are better, cheaper, and more readily available options in my opinion. The waiting and anticipation for the Nula to arrive, only to be disappointed with the quality was a big let down for me. After the first rifles issue with the safety (the rifle fired when I took the safety off!), I thought it was just bad luck. When I was able to replicate the same thing with the second rifle (while unloaded of course) and the fact it took nearly a year and a half to get it from the time I ordered it, I’m done with Nula’s. Sold them both and found rifles I’m much more happy with.

I don’t mean to tell you to go another route, but I think it’s important to share my expirience. I will add that Melvin fixed the safety on the first rifle, I sold the second one before dealing with the warranty issue, I did let the new owner know about it so he can deal with it.

Christensen Arms Ridgeline is a mighty fine rifle for the price. Fit and finish is impeccable, accuracy is phenomenal and they absorb recoil great, also come with both a brake and thread protector. Just an FYI. Ymmv.

Last edited by RBO; 10/05/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WTM45
I'd stay with a .30, but for a NULA it would be the .308 Winchester.

With a light mono bullet to help lessen recoil even more.

If going LA I would lean towards the 280 if available, if not 270 would get the nod.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/05/19.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
300 wsm would handle whatever comes up in North America. For me I'd want a brake on it in a light rifle at least for punching paper.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If you want a 30-06 just buy a fieldcraft and be done with it! I’ve owned 3 NULA’s and still have 2, Simply not worth the wait with the fieldcraft available!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would get Mels favorite the 284 Winchester or do a 6.5x284. The M20 is 3.1" and can handle the 284 not sure how the 6.5x284 would do but with hunting bullets it would probably fit as well. Get a 30-06 Field Craft while your waiting for the NULA. A 270WSM would be interesting in the dedicated action.

The NULA handles recoil very well but I would still lean towards lower recoil rounds. A 300WSM would have a pretty fast recoil.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I'll get flamed for this, but the 308 with a 150 TTSX is what the 30-06 with a 180 Partition used to be.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I would lean 7mm08 if grizzlies aren't on the menu

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Go Fieldcraft,as they are S/S through and through.

7-08 has no equal.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by RBO
If it were me I’d just get a Fieldcraft. I’ve owned a couple of Nula’s over the past few years and in hindsight I would never go through the wait again, the quality of the rifles just wasn’t there. Both had issues with the safety, the cutout for the safety switch was a little rough and accuracy on both rifles was average, I had better fit, finish, and accuracy with the Kimber I sold to help fund the purchase of one of them. The wait time on the last one I bought was 16 or 17 months.

If you want to buy one just to have a rifle made by Melvin Forbes then by all means I can understand, but in reality there are better, cheaper, and more readily available options in my opinion. The waiting and anticipation for the Nula to arrive, only to be disappointed with the quality was a big let down for me. After the first rifles issue with the safety (the rifle fired when I took the safety off!), I thought it was just bad luck. When I was able to replicate the same thing with the second rifle (while unloaded of course) and the fact it took nearly a year and a half to get it from the time I ordered it, I’m done with Nula’s. Sold them both and found rifles I’m much more happy with.

I don’t mean to tell you to go another route, but I think it’s important to share my expirience. I will add that Melvin fixed the safety on the first rifle, I sold the second one before dealing with the warranty issue, I did let the new owner know about it so he can deal with it.

Christensen Arms Ridgeline is a mighty fine rifle for the price. Fit and finish is impeccable, accuracy is phenomenal and they absorb recoil great, also come with both a brake and thread protector. Just an FYI. Ymmv.

+1. Very similar experience.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I am considering finally ordering a NULA before Melvin retires. While I have had great success with the .270Win., .308 Win., 300 WM and the 300WSM, I can't help but go back to the 30-06. From the mountains of Alaska to the lower 48 - from pronghorn to moose - I just know the '06 will handle it all. I would order a #2 barrel, cerakoted at 22". From bullet weights at 150 - 220, what am I missing?
I know this may become a "popcorn thread" but I am interested to read what others might say.

A Leupold 6x scope would be all that is needed for the rifle.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've never had a NULA in my hands, but have the impression they are expensive. If I'm paying an expensive price I would prefer to have something better than just a Douglas barrel.

I have had an accurate Douglas in 25-06 and it took longer to clean because it was a heavy fouler. It has been a while since I wanted a NULA and he may have moved away from Douglas, are perhaps as an option he would use some other custom barrel that has been lapped.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You are not missing much.

For me, I picked a Montana, cut it to 22" and had iron sights installed. Done. Pick a load for the use you want and done.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
For a do all, I'd go 7-08...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

I've had that rifle except with a 24" barrel. Excellent balance and a great rifle. The 30-06 is just more than I need for what I do....that didn't stop me from going with a Fieldcraft in 30-06, again great balance/shooter, again more than I need.

The NULA and FC really shine in the short actions. Pick the round based on what you want to do and ranges. Hard to overlook the bullets in 6.5 and 7 if you wanting to shoot longer with a bit less recoil.

The .308 and 30-06 still kill as well as anything....just a touch more drop, windage, and recoil.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I was doing one rifle, itd be a 280 Rem. When my Montana 280 AI needs a new barrel, it will become a plain Jane 280. Love 0.284 and especially the 280. Been shooting one since 1982 or so.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (160user, 1234, 1badf350, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 75 invisible), 2,015 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,829
Posts18,496,629
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.