Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cartridge is fine as is a host of others. Seriously? One rifle?

Make sure you like the rifle. grin

I have handled a few NULA's, ULA's, CLR's. They are not for me. But that does mean they are not for you.

I currently have more than one "one rifle" from 7-08 to 338-06. All happen to be model 70 classic's. That is what I prefer.

You just need to figure what rifle/scope you prefer.

Main thing is for you to be comfortable. Make a choice and shoot 600 or so rounds through it and you will be set.

Arcus Venator
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Surprised no one has mentioned the 6.5 man bun (Creedmoor).

Offers a lot, light recoil, accurate ammo is the norm.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I’d go FC 7-08. They’ll be around for quite some time, they’re less money and done right. I like NULA, but the brain trust is in his very golden years and the increase in cost is not worth it IMO.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I read the NULA website and it made a claim they will "shoot all bullet weights into the same point of impact". Is this common for a NULA?

OK Nula owners, is this just "sales talk"? Is this misleading, should it say it may be possible to shoot a few bullet weight/powder/seating combinations into the same point of impact?

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by StrayDog
I read the NULA website and it made a claim they will "shoot all bullet weights into the same point of impact". Is this common for a NULA?

OK Nula owners, is this just "sales talk"? Is this misleading, should it say it may be possible to shoot a few bullet weight/powder/seating combinations into the same point of impact?

Maybe that’s what I was doing wrong? I tried using all the same bullet weights and couldn’t hit the same poi!

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well, it's been done with a simple 30-06, Remington 700, and Nosler Partitions:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Am sure any of a dozen cartridges could do equally well. Pick the rifle you like the most, pop a good scope onto it, and enjoy! I've never shot a NULA. Was disheartening to read of the safety issues from posters here.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
‘Whoop.... you gotta have a back up rifle man! So have him build a 30-06 and a 7-08.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
If I were ordering a nula today, it would be a m20 in 284 or m24 in 280 ... because anything else I want I can get in full stainless for $2000 less. And while I am a huge nula fan, the 3 position safety or heavier barrel contour in a SA isn't enough of a motivator in and of itself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RBO

If you want to buy one just to have a rifle made by Melvin Forbes then by all means I can understand,....

Re: made by Mel Forbes...well depends what people understand that to mean.

As long as I can remember his actions are made by an outside machine shop, his stocks are made by his stock maker,
employees fit the barrel and action , finish the stock, etc.

just curious what hands on processes are normally done by Mr.Forbes himself.

I could not imagine owning a NULA in anything but .284win.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by RBO

If you want to buy one just to have a rifle made by Melvin Forbes then by all means I can understand,....

Re: made by Mel Forbes...well depends what people understand that to mean.

As long as I can remember his actions are made by an outside machine shop, his stocks are made by his stock maker,
employees fit the barrel and action , finish the stock, etc.

just curious what hands on processes are normally done by Mr.Forbes himself.

I could not imagine owning a NULA in anything but .284win.

He builds his own actions and stocks.

IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
My family and I gifted my father a NULA rifle 12 years ago for his retirement. We let him pick the particulars and his is just as you mentioned minus the cerakote. He has used it extensively ever since with great results. Since then he has bought 2 others “one new and one second hand” and I ordered one for myself and one for my son. All of our experiences have been positive. The build time is the only aspect that leaves a little to be desired. With that said Mr. Forbes has always been honest and straight forward. The last rifle I ordered was finished a little over a year and a half. If you ever pass through central Ohio you are more than welcome to try them out.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks for all the comments. Brad brings up a good point with the recoil situation and I certainly recall that having a 30-06 in a Kimber 84L. RBO, Starman and ejo bringing up "quality control" issues were very surprising. And of course there is the "wait time" and actually who does all the work in Melvin's shop? He isn't a one-man operation.
Big Stick and the 7-08 is valid too - a cartridge I've never owned as I've usually had a 7mm Mauser in the safe.

So some things to consider before ordering up a $3600 rifle that will take up to 18 months to receive. Plus, full disclosure, I have a Fieldcraft in .270 Win that is excellent and a Kimber Montana 6.5CM that is equally impressive. And there is a Kimber Talkeetna way in the back of the safe begging for an AK. "field trip".
I will consider all my options based on what I have and what others have offered here. Thanks again, everyone. I'll be monitoring this for other ideas to consider.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
So some things to consider before ordering up a $3600 rifle that will take up to 18 months to receive. Plus, full disclosure, I have a Fieldcraft in .270 Win that is excellent and a Kimber Montana 6.5CM that is equally impressive. And there is a Kimber Talkeetna way in the back of the safe begging for an AK. "field trip".

Other than just wanting a new rifle, I can't see much benefit in trying to replace what you already have with one NULA. Seems you have all the bases covered.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
If you have a 300 WSM, you have a 30-06 & a 308.

If you wanna go back to the 30-06, do it. Not a hard decision.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
RBO,

Yeah, NULA's won't shoot very well....

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Straydog,

Yes, NULA's do tend to shoot different bullet weights to the same point of impact at 100 yards. This is probably due to the full-contact bedding of the forend, in a pretty stiff composite stock. Have seen this in a number of them.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
RBO,

Yeah, NULA's won't shoot very well....

[Linked Image]

That’s what I was saying, I couldn’t get mine to shoot the same poi with the same grain bullet either.

I do have rifles that will though.

Here’s 5 168gr .284 projectiles hitting the same poi

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And the safety functions perfectly.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I’m trying to convince my wife of the same thing, I want a NULA before it’s too late. I already have multiple 308s, and my favorite weighs just slightly more than a model 24. So if I’m getting one, I want a model20. I’ve considered the 257 Roberts since I primarily hunt deer, but because of the price I want a gun that can do it all, and also want a round that’s not extremely common. I’m really looking at the 284Win, 6.5x284, 6.5 Wby RPM and the 7-08AI.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JJWise
I’m trying to convince my wife of the same thing, I want a NULA before it’s too late. I already have multiple 308s, and my favorite weighs just slightly more than a model 24. So if I’m getting one, I want a model20. I’ve considered the 257 Roberts since I primarily hunt deer, but because of the price I want a gun that can do it all, and also want a round that’s not extremely common. I’m really looking at the 284Win, 6.5x284, 6.5 Wby RPM and the 7-08AI.

6.5 rpm won’t be an option in a model 20. If you want something to “do it all” in a model 20 that’s “not extremely common” you probably want a 284. I would personally go 7/08 (and in Fieldcraft), but I I understand the nula “want”; just know that one won’t quell it!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Get a Model 20 in 284 Win and never look back. Best mountain hunting rifle made IMHO. Never shot a bear or moosh with mine but has worked pretty damn good on everything else.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

352 members (17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 1936M71, 40 invisible), 2,183 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,744
Posts18,495,151
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.