Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thank You, Ingwe!

On this hunt it was wearing the barrel I use with the heavy stuff, a 270WCF shooting Berger VLD Classics.

Alvaro

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
M.D. : good for him glad he did so well with that old 30-06 pre-64, i inherited the same kinda a rifle but with a old Bausch & Lomb scope with the adjustments on the mnts. i understand how he feels at 65 i am in the same boat !

Last edited by pete53; 10/05/19.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
........during an evening BS session early in the hunt, one of the guys asked what cartridges our rifles were chambered for.

They ranged from the .280 Remington.......

That makes me proud!

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Casey,

The most recent issue of RIFLE SHOOTER included an article written by one of those infernal gun writers about rifle balance. It includes several points brought up in this thread, and some not normally considered--such as the balance point in reference to the front action screw not really having much to do "shootable" balance.

I always thought of the front action screw as the standard reference for a balance point to be rather arbitrary. But it seems if the balance is behind the front action screw the rifle is more difficult for me to hold steady. The balance point being forward of the action screw is fine, possibly easier to hold the muzzle more steady in many cases.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JD45
Why can't Remington bring back their Model 7 Stainless Synthetic? It was small and light with a 20" barrel. I've seen guys get 1 1/4" 3-shot groups at 100yds with factory ammo in most calibers. Perfect for mountains or any hunting.

I'm still looking for a used one in .243. I NEVER see one in a gun or pawn shop!

I wouldn't give mine up! Harvested a lot of critters with that rifle.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
That’s a long action. Tell me it’s not chambered for “that” round... shocked

DF

No worries...its NOT a 7x57....its a .275 Rigby. Says so on the barrel..... laugh

Whew. That was close.

Of course 257 Rigby is mo better than plain ole German metric 7x57. More panache and with some of that Brit stiff upper lip. Rev Mike will understand.

DF

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
After reading this thread, and being 69 years old. Maybe I should quit carrying my intermediate length mauser in 30-06. Most of my rifles are between 7 and 8 pounds! I bought the 06 in 72 and its been my go to rifle since! Never felt like it was heavy, maybe after I turn 70 it will get heavy!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

DF

No worries...its NOT a 7x57....its a .275 Rigby. Says so on the barrel..... laugh

Whew. That was close.

Of course 257 Rigby is mo better than plain ole German metric 7x57. More panache and with some of that Brit stiff upper lip. Rev Mike will understand.

DF

AKA 7x64 Short.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
My 9 pounder is “terrain/distance, and age” dependent. It seems as I get older, terrain and distance, seem to be getting more challenging! wink memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by JSTUART

DF

Whew. That was close.

DF

AKA 7x64 Short.

I've been thinking of having my Zastava 7x57 chambered to x64. It has a 1:866 twist, and if I had the stock trimmed down it might make a great mountain rifle...although the closest thing I get to a mountain is a highway overpass.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
John, that’s a nice lightweight rifle! And, in a great cartridge! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
pete,

I forgot to mention the chambering of my friend's pre-'64, though it's interesting you assumed it was a .30-06.

Instead it's a .270 Winchester.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
As a side-note, a good friend of mine drew a bighorn tag in the Missouri Breaks this year. The Breaks aren't exactly mountains, but as my buddy puts it, "Where God decided to make mountains upside down." He killed a ram that should make B&C in the second week of the season (which started September 15th) in one of the steepest areas. The shot was around 275 yards--and it took him two hours just to get to the ram afterward. It took all day to cut up and pack out, even though there was a road within half a mile.

His choice of rifle was emotional rather than practical. His father passed away earlier this year, and my friend inherited several of his hunting guns. He decided to take his father's favorite medium-game rifle, a standard (not Featherweight) pre-'64 Model 70 Winchester .270 with a 3-9x Leupold in the typical steel Leupold bridge mount of the era--PLUS the bipod his father usually used. All up, with one of his father's leather slings, it probably weighed around 11 pounds. My friend is 65, and still packed it and the sheep--because he wanted to.

Glads to hear that's how that turned out. Excellent.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Dee

[Linked Image]

VERY nice. I love LOTS of ‘horns’ <antlers>

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by JSTUART

DF

Whew. That was close.

DF

AKA 7x64 Short.

I've been thinking of having my Zastava 7x57 chambered to x64. It has a 1:866 twist, and if I had the stock trimmed down it might make a great mountain rifle...although the closest thing I get to a mountain is a highway overpass.

Rechambering a 7x57 to 7x 64 is heresy.....you knew that right?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now obviously they aren't here to ask, so any answer is pure speclation; but y'all are. For those of you who, like Comerade, are sheep/goat hunters through and through, what is your preference - total weight all up, barrel length, etc. - and why? I'm just curious.

My overwhelming experience of mountain hunting has been by horseback and weight wasn't of great concern to me. That said there was a considerable amount of walking to be done as well and weight did become important at that point.

I'm not a sheep hunter and suspect that they are normally hunted at higher elevations than I hunt for elk but I've seen and at very close range several Rocky Mountain big horns on these hunts.

My rifle of choice on these hunts is a .270 Winchester with 22" barrel in the featherweight persuasion. Although I also have a .30-06 that will substitute fine and a VZ-24 custom that handles the .280 Remington cartridge. All sport a 3-9 X 40 scope and are lightly covered in a grease called Rig for weather protection and all shoot the Barnes TTSX bullet to 2" high at 100 yards. I also carry a Leica 1200 around my neck because I'm a lousy judge of distance in the mountains.

You ask why?.....well I hunt with them a lot and they shoot well and I trust them to deliver the accuracy and power I want in a hunting rifle....what else is there?

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

Yeah, I know. But it doesn't keep me from thinking about it every once in a while.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RevMike

Yeah, I know. But it doesn't keep me from thinking about it every once in a while.

To be frank Mike I wouldn't re-chamber, I would be more inclined to buy original or re-barrel when due.

There isn't that much in it...well, except for the sex, fame and fortune.

Did I mention charisma?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Here are a few more "mountain rifles," all weighing several ounces under 7 pounds. Have hunted with all of them in various places here and there; all are VERY accurate:

NULA .257 Weatherby, made before the present high-BC trend got going.
Tikka T3 Superlite .260 Remington, one of a limited run from Whittaker Guns with a 1-8 twist. I modified the magazine to 3" long.
Merkel K1 .308 Winchester, a far more traditional mountain rifle with typical German game scenes on the receiver, and very nice figure in the buttstock.

[Linked Image]

All four of Eileen's big game rifles would qualify as mountain rifles as well, since they all weigh 7 or less scoped, including her old 16 gauge/9mmx72R German combination gun. The others are a semi-custom Husqvarna .243 Winchester, NULA .257 Roberts, and custom Serengeti .308, made on a Kimber 84 action. She's hunted considerably with all four.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
that merkel is a fine looking rig MD.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1eyedmule, 1Longbow, 72 invisible), 3,485 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,636
Posts18,533,385
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.