-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Before sheep guideing took over my life I'd taken 3 of my own including 10 days in Tok. My 1st Chugach ram was taken with a 300WM, it was quartering towards me and way to much gun for a meat eater. A Sako Forrester in 243 entered my life and accounted for 2 nice rams,60" bull moose, untold caribou many blacktails,and 3 wolves, all killed cleanly. The rifle carried a 6X Leupold and I loaded 100gr Hornady SP for everything,it weighed 7lbs on the $. A gal borrowed it for a deer hunt and when she returned it the process took a while and left with it too! I sure miss that rifle.

I tend to use more than enough gun
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll admit that I have never understood the meaning of "mountain rifle". Different strokes for different folks. To me it meant a rifle that nicely fit the horses scabbard, then later it meant a lightweight rifle of good ranging ability such as a .270 Winchester...…...today it means a rifle that shoots very well, is dependable, and one you have confidence it......no different than any rifle I own for the purpose of big game hunting. When I hunt the mountains, I carry the rifle on a horse so weight isn't the greatest consideration. Accuracy, dependability and supreme confidence are the items that top the list. I usually find this in an older M-70 or today's Howa and Weatherby Vanguard. And since there is always a remote chance that one might have to chase away a bear, I like calibers of .270 Winchester to .300 Magnum but the 7mm-08 has recently struck favor for my likes.

When you fork over a lot of cash for a horseback trip into the mountains, you get to decide what a mountain rifle is.....so pick it based on your ideals, not mine or anyone else's.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I started my mountain hunting a long time ago and stopped around 15 years ago. My mountain rifles were generally a Maple stocked 30-06 Springfield or a full stocked 270 on a Mauser action. I expect both rifles loaded were around 9 pounds, both were topped with 4x Leupolds. I still have the Springfield and it would be under consideration if I were to book a horseback trip into the mountains again. This was high ground Mule deer and Elk hunting not sheep hunting. Both of those rifles worked perfectly and I made some fine shots with them. Today in my somewhat lesser condition I think I would take one of my lighter 270's or a 7.5 pound 7-08. It being a 22 inch barreled Model 7 Remington topped with a 2-7 Leupold. I have to say that those were the trips that made life exciting and very much appreciated. The furthest I ever shot at an elk was 450 yards and 300 yards for Mule deer. We used to spot them and actually sneak up on em for the shot. Pretty sure I could have gotten closer to that longshot elk but the weather was changing fast and we needed to get him down. Nowadays I have many rifles, back then I only had the two big game rifles and a couple of varmint rifles, a 223 for prairie dogs and a 22-250 for coyotes. Still I got by pretty good!

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by RevMike
It's been a long, hot summer here in the South, and I've spent the last five or so months reading about sheep and sheep hunting - sort of a vicarious escape. That reading has caused me to reflect a bit on how ideas of a proper mountain rifle have changed over the past fifty or so years. Over on the .270 thread, one of the posts goes like this:

Originally Posted by comerade
Yup, Jack liked the .270. Sheep hunters are hit with a different hammer, I can say this because I am so afflicted.
Sheep come first, elk moose etc are not even considered when hunting rams. A .270 or .280 suits it perfectly and with enough extra to handle a herd bull elk of any description.
Jack liked the .270 ,at the time nothing really compared to it . He would be quite surprised just how capable it is these days.
Hey and the .270 wsm really does need a 24" barrel....the wcf works just fine with a 22. Any repeater with a longer barrel is just too long to carry at 10,000 ft and 45* angle of slope. My little old opinion, folks

JOC thought an 8 pound rifle with a 22 inch barrel was about ideal. Elgin Gates and Herb Klein, contemporaries of JOC, hunted the mountains of Asia with .300 Weatherby's, most likely in the 9.5 or 10 pound range when factoring in walnut stocks, 26 inch barrels, and steel scopes/mounts. A couple of decades later, Richard Sands hunted the same area with a .300-378 Weatherby, again probably in the same weight range, if not a shade lighter due to the synthetic stock. Robert Anderson's "Wind, Dust, and Snow II" is filled with great pictures and stories of many of Sands', as well as others', hunts - all with rifles that a lot of folks wouldn't even consider hauling up a 15,000 foot mountain range today. And some of these hunters continued to carry them even when ligt weight and synthetic were becoming more prevalent.

Today, however, we have rifle companies turning out "mountain rifles" with pencil thin or carbon wrapped barrels, all mounted in carbon fiber stocks that result rifles coming in at sub 5.5 - or even sub 5 - pounds. Even with a somewhat heavier scope it still puts the rifle in the sub 7 pound category. I wonder if guys like Gates and Klein would have actually used any of these truly featherwight rigs or just gone ahead and used what they always did. Whichever way they went, the certainly would have had their reasons.

Now obviously they aren't here to ask, so any answer is pure speclation; but y'all are. For those of you who, like Comerade, are sheep/goat hunters through and through, what is your preference - total weight all up, barrel length, etc. - and why? I'm just curious.

Thanks.

RM

I don't need a mountain rifle on a regular basis because we have a rather chronic shortage of mountains here on the Texas Gulf Coast. But If I were to need one I would like a Model 7 Remington with the longest barrel available in 7-08 with a nice light Leupold VX 3i 3.5-10x40. I know most of you would opt for a lighter scope but with my eyes these days I need more magnification.

Last edited by Filaman; 06/24/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by vapodog
I'll admit that I have never understood the meaning of "mountain rifle". Different strokes for different folks. To me it meant a rifle that nicely fit the horses scabbard, then later it meant a lightweight rifle of good ranging ability such as a .270 Winchester...…...today it means a rifle that shoots very well, is dependable, and one you have confidence it......no different than any rifle I own for the purpose of big game hunting. When I hunt the mountains, I carry the rifle on a horse so weight isn't the greatest consideration. Accuracy, dependability and supreme confidence are the items that top the list. I usually find this in an older M-70 or today's Howa and Weatherby Vanguard. And since there is always a remote chance that one might have to chase awaley a bear, I like calibers of .270 Winchester to .300 Magnum but the 7mm-08 has recently struck favor for my likes.

When you fork over a lot of cash for a horseback trip into the mountains, you get to decide what a mountain rifle is.....so pick it based on your ideals, not mine or anyone else's.

I too love the .270 Winchester but have lusted after a 7-08 in a model 7 rifle siince they came out with the Model 7. I think the both came out within a year of each other, In my opinion the model 7 and the 7mm-08 were made for each other.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
IC B2

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (1eyedmule, 160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 77 invisible), 3,521 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,635
Posts18,533,322
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.