Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Just thought I would post this so folks can be careful. I had an issue with a stiff safety a couple of years ago and the gunsmith told me he replaced the trigger on my 1986 Remington model 700 .264 Win mag for me. I did not ask him what he replaced it with, just what poundage it was. He said it was two pounds and I tried the trigger and it seemed nice. About a year or so ago, I shot a doe, but when I got to her she tried to get up to run. I quickly swung into action and when I took the safety off the gun discharged. I chalked it up to me hitting the trigger in the exactment of her getting up to run. A year goes by and several deer are taken and rifle is taken to the range this past august on two occasions with no issues.

Three weeks ago after an evening hunt I was unloading my rifle at my truck and the gun went off. It scared the crap out of me. I again figured I must have hit the trigger some how. Yesterday I hunted with my son. When we got back to the truck I pointed the rifle in a safe direction and when I slid the safety off she went off .

I will be taking the rifle to Jarret Rifles tomorrow to see what is going on, but just want to give folks a heads up to be careful.

Dan

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Timney replacement trigger.

Last edited by walt501; 10/07/19.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Is there some reason you didn't just order a trigger and install it yourself?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The smith should have removed the tab that allows you to unload on safe. Either way - replace the trigger.

Moe

"Pick out two!"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
my rem 700, 270 would do the same, had it fixed.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You have two downsides a Remington rifle and caliber .264. I would fix it at least possible cost sell it and get a wonderful Made in Portugal Winchester Model 70. The Winchester is based on Springfield which was based on the legendary Mauser 98. The Remington 700 is a clunker based Model 721 as desire to produce rifle at least possible cost.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
Just thought I would post this so folks can be careful. I had an issue with a stiff safety a couple of years ago and the gunsmith told me he replaced the trigger on my 1986 Remington model 700 .264 Win mag for me. I did not ask him what he replaced it with, just what poundage it was. He said it was two pounds and I tried the trigger and it seemed nice. About a year or so ago, I shot a doe, but when I got to her she tried to get up to run. I quickly swung into action and when I took the safety off the gun discharged. I chalked it up to me hitting the trigger in the exactment of her getting up to run. A year goes by and several deer are taken and rifle is taken to the range this past august on two occasions with no issues.

Three weeks ago after an evening hunt I was unloading my rifle at my truck and the gun went off. It scared the crap out of me. I again figured I must have hit the trigger some how. Yesterday I hunted with my son. When we got back to the truck I pointed the rifle in a safe direction and when I slid the safety off she went off .

I will be taking the rifle to Jarret Rifles tomorrow to see what is going on, but just want to give folks a heads up to be careful.

Dan

You would also do well to tell the gunsmith that "fixed" the trigger what his "fix" is doing.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
It's got a case of the Remingtons. Every 700 trigger they've made EVER has been recalled for firing without a trigger press. Why anyone would tolerate them or buy their products (at least without a known-safe aftermarket trigger) is beyond me.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 10/07/19.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Two minutes and a Timney and your problem is solved.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
It's got a case of the Remingtons. Every 700 trigger they've made EVER has been recalled for firing without a trigger press. Why anyone would tolerate them or buy their products (at least without a known-safe aftermarket trigger) is beyond me.

Funny, I have 11 of them, from 1970 vintage up to 2014, never had a problem.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This is not an uncommon issue that can develop with totally enclosed trigger mechanisms. The sides of the trigger lever and trigger connector (if your trigger has one) bear against two side plates making surface contact on both sides of these parts. When the trigger resets, it depends on springs pushing against both the trigger lever/connector and sear to re-cock the sear. In so doing, these parts are sliding against these side plates, and the speed of reset is directly influenced by friction or any "sticking" from films on these mating surfaces. Over time, oil and debris can work its way down into the trigger housing, the oil varnishes up and traps a film of gunk between the faces of the moving trigger parts and the side plates. This slows down the reset of the sear or prevents it from properly resetting entirely, as the resistance from the gunk exceeds the spring force. The safety is holding back the sear against the cocking piece. If the trigger lever hasn't returned to cocked position to engage the sear, the rifle will fire as soon as the safety is released since there is nothing holding back the sear from pivoting downward.

If this is the case, this wouldn't necessarily be a fault of your gunsmith, because it can occur intermittently and may not have shown up while the gunsmith had the rifle in his possession. The solution is to flush out the trigger with lighter fluid, mineral spirits or other thin solvent to remove the gunk. I've seen this same issue with at least 3 M700s from the 1970s and 80s. It's a good idea to periodically flush out any fully enclosed trigger. Triggers like the M70, Ruger 77 MKII, etc don't have this issue because the sear and trigger levers are exposed.

Ted
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Drive it into the ground and tie tomato plants to it. Then go put the pointed toe of your shoe up that gunsmith's rectum.

Even repaired again, that rifle would have a stigma attached to it.
It would for me, and I ain't even the superstitious type.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Slavek
You have two downsides a Remington rifle and caliber .264. I would fix it at least possible cost sell it and get a wonderful Made in Portugal Winchester Model 70. The Winchester is based on Springfield which was based on the legendary Mauser 98. The Remington 700 is a clunker based Model 721 as desire to produce rifle at least possible cost.

And yet- the Famous African PH Harry Selby, who confronted more dangerpus game during his career than you will ever see in your wildest dreams, spoke VERY highly of the Remington 721.based on his ACTUAL EXPERIENCE with one.

He was gifted one in 30-06 by a client in the late 1950s. The gun had served the clients son well for several years during previous Safaris with Harry and he immediately put it to work with his Safari Co. That gun was used for over 40 years in his Safari battery as the no. 1 camp meat getter and as also used as a loaner rifle . Several Cape Buffalo were even taken with the gun with 220 solids.

That gun never missed a beat. And Harry thought it was a fine working rifle (even though no arrogant Europeans had any hand in making it... smile

And I BET the trigger on that rifle was never adjusted to a abnormally light setting by a some all knowing "expert".

Last edited by jk16; 10/07/19.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Simple solution:

Don’t have a round in the chamber when rifle in vehicle!!

Lordy Lordy

Even birds know not to land downwind!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
2 lbs is to light for a hunting rifle
Have it adjusted to 3.5 - 4lbs for a hunting rifle and degrease the trigger with alchohol or some kind of degreaser

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by RifleDude
This is not an uncommon issue that can develop with totally enclosed trigger mechanisms. The sides of the trigger lever and trigger connector (if your trigger has one) bear against two side plates making surface contact on both sides of these parts. When the trigger resets, it depends on springs pushing against both the trigger lever/connector and sear to re-cock the sear. In so doing, these parts are sliding against these side plates, and the speed of reset is directly influenced by friction or any "sticking" from films on these mating surfaces. Over time, oil and debris can work its way down into the trigger housing, the oil varnishes up and traps a film of gunk between the faces of the moving trigger parts and the side plates. This slows down the reset of the sear or prevents it from properly resetting entirely, as the resistance from the gunk exceeds the spring force. The safety is holding back the sear against the cocking piece. If the trigger lever hasn't returned to cocked position to engage the sear, the rifle will fire as soon as the safety is released since there is nothing holding back the sear from pivoting downward.

If this is the case, this wouldn't necessarily be a fault of your gunsmith, because it can occur intermittently and may not have shown up while the gunsmith had the rifle in his possession. The solution is to flush out the trigger with lighter fluid, mineral spirits or other thin solvent to remove the gunk. I've seen this same issue with at least 3 M700s from the 1970s and 80s. It's a good idea to periodically flush out any fully enclosed trigger. Triggers like the M70, Ruger 77 MKII, etc don't have this issue because the sear and trigger levers are exposed.

This.
Flush it out good. And WD-40 is not your friend.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
A properly maintained and adjusted Walker trigger is as reliable and safe as any others. Those input conditions are vital.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by walt501
Timney replacement trigger.

And file that post down so you can run the rifle with the safety on, all my 700's are that way, I don't need a damn thing to lock a bolt closed for me.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Remington has a WELL-DOCUMENTED history of unsafe triggers! Besides that, 2lbs is far too light for a hunting rifle carried in the field IMHO.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Slavek

Winchester Model 70 is a fine rifle, very sought after. So is a Springfield and a Mauser. But they aren't even close to popularity of the 700. The 700 has been copied, duplicated, accurisized, used in competition and our own military snipers. There is an entire industry based on providing aftermarket parts for them. I have owned a number of them, adjusted the triggers on all of them, and never had an issue. If there is one thing that will cause an issue with the trigger is improper cleaning of the rifle. If you clean the gun from the muzzle end, which is wrong to begin with, solvent and crud will run down into the trigger. If you clean the gun WITHOUT a bore guide, same thing will happen. Or if you use one of the god-forsaken bore snakes and drag all that s**t over the trigger, it will gum up. All you need is a squeeze bottle of lighter fluid, squirt the fluid down into the trigger, and you will not have a problem.

And there is nothing wrong with a .264 caliber cartridge.......at all.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 280shooter, 2ndwind, 26 invisible), 2,188 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,892
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.