Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think seeing the Redwoods and sequoias is about the only reason I’d like to go to CA.

GB4

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by ironbender
Geno-
U have a date in SF?

laugh

you funny, not funny haha, but funny anyway

Nope, had to go to Humboldt county to pick up "something". wink

Geno

PS, that something was a very large anvil I left there in 1999.

PPS, I left the other stuff there over 30 years ago and don't intend to pick any more up, even though it's now "legal". crazy

Your Mary j secret is safe.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Slope77
I think seeing the Redwoods and sequoias is about the only reason I’d like to go to CA.

Well, there's Death Valley, Yosemite, the NW Coast, Monterey Bay aquarium, Mt Whitney (the highest place in the lower 48) and for those who like country music..............................................

Bakersfield! grin

Geno

PS, Forestiere Gardens in Fresno is pretty cool too, if one wants to see what dogged determination and time will build.

https://www.undergroundgardens.com/

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Well, there's Death Valley, Yosemite, the NW Coast, Monterey Bay aquarium, Mt Whitney (the highest place in the lower 48) and for those who like country music..............................................

Bakersfield! grin

Geno

PS, Forestiere Gardens in Fresno is pretty cool too, if one wants to see what dogged determination and time will build.

I’m sorry, that was small minded of me. Sounds like some great stuff to check out.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I saw them when I was 14, would like to go again. They are unbelievable

IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Some of the stumps were so big people used to build houses in them, came across this article a few weeks ago. Pretty damn cool. story

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Geno,

I really like this guys pics. He's photographed all the know largest Redwoods in the World.

http://www.mdvaden.com/grove_of_titans.shtml

Including this monster known Juggernaut or Spartan.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Looks like decadent timber to me. Ought to log them bastards off long ago.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
A fellow I visit with is very big into the Redwoods.

Gerald Beranek. The way he talks about those trees makes even a big sky guy like me want to see them.

Scare the hell out of me I suppose.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been down in that country twice, and it's a near religious experience to walk among those giants. If one were to drop one, folks a hundred yards away better be on the run. There is simply no way one can do justice to them with a camera.

After my first visit, I realized I need a substantially larger chainsaw.

They attain most of their height in the first hundred years or so. After that, it's simply a bulking up process.

Sequoias get their volume via butt swell while the redwoods are pretty much straight pipes.

I believe the tallest tree ever recorded though was a Doug fir up in BC. Unfortunately it was cut.

Those were some tough and smart people that historically hauled that stuff out of the woods.

Get down that way in September, and there are some very majestic elk to see as well.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by 1minute; 10/09/19.

1Minute
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The tallest trees, the largest trees by volume/weight and the oldest living things on the planet are all found in CA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_(tree)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristlecone_pine

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
The tallest trees, the largest trees by volume/weight and the oldest living things on the planet are all found in CA.

Yep. Nancy Pelosi. Oh, you meant the Bristlecone Pines in the White Mtn. range in Ca. Sorry.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rifletom
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

Yep. Nancy Pelosi. Oh, you meant the Bristlecone Pines in the White Mtn. range in Ca. Sorry.

Real life LOL'd on that one.

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Bakersfield! grin

Geno

I’m sorry, that was small minded of me. Sounds like some great stuff to check out.

Apology accepted....................................

we have some pretty good folks here too...............some even live in large Metro areas...........................but I avoid them,( the Metros, not the people) unless absolutely necessary.

And the unfortunate thing for many visitors, unless driving in from out of state they usually have to fly into one of the larger cities and deal with traffic, crime, city life, etc before getting out to the real California. So in a way you're right about not wanting to visit this crazy state.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My brother is planting those trees here in the NC mountains. I have helped him plant several dozen of these trees. He is the founder of the Carolina Redwood Society.
He has grown some from seeds, and has bought some little 12 inch trees. So far, his biggest tree is 12 feet high.
Some day, fifty years from now, somebody is going to notice "the 150 foot tall pine tree" and start asking some questions, probably send a picture to a biologist at the University. I would like to hear that conversation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans

My entire house is framed in old growth redwood. From the foundation timbers to the roof decking and wood slat floors.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans

My entire house is framed in old growth redwood. From the foundation timbers to the roof decking and wood slat floors.

That is some seriously cool wood, eh?

Have you ever seen a clean enough end cut to count growth rings per inch? Some of that old stuff is really tight grained.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Geno......if you haven't already and want to see an amazing use of those giants as well as some interesting history take a trip to Scotty's castle in Death Valley.

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Geno......if you haven't already and want to see an amazing use of those giants as well as some interesting history take a trip to Scotty's castle in Death Valley.

Driven through parts of Death Valley a time or two but never seen Scotty's. Thanks for the recommendation. Maybe I'll make a trip down there some winter as I miss the "real" desert. This high desert stuff has way too many plants growing.

Geno

In it is contentment

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Well, there's Death Valley, Yosemite, the NW Coast, Monterey Bay aquarium, Mt Whitney (the highest place in the lower 48) and for those who like country music.................
Geno

I was a kid in the 60s and we DID the Redwoods, Sequoias, and Yosemite. (also Yellowstone)

I have old 8mm video footage but also VIVID memories. "Trees" really doesn't do them justice. GIANTS is closer.

If you haven't been, Make Every Effort to go.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

205 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 260Remguy, 14idaho, 2500HD, 16penny, 33 invisible), 1,940 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,993
Posts18,481,117
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.