-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am looking for opinions or experiences on this custom rifle maker. Has anybody ordered one of their rifles? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Also, what are some good, reputable places to shop for a custom or semi-custom rifle?

Thanks.

Last edited by gun_fever; 02/24/03.
GB1

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jef Hicks (Celt1), Charlie Sisk. Both have websites, both post here, and both come higlhy recommended. I have not heard anything but good about Hill Country. They are only 1/2 hour away, but Jeff is building my next rifle. Befroe that, I used John Ricks, but John is on sabbatical for a while.

Blaine

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
gun_fever,

I'll second AFP's recommendations. Celt and Charlie are exceptional riflesmiths and are great all-around guys to through ideas at. A couple more I'd through in are Bansner's, Borden, PGW, NorCal Precision nad Kenny Jarrett.

You can always do your own piece meal deal and everyone would be more than glad to chip in with info and suggestions.

HCR has a pretty good reputation with their work and services. I have a fellow shooter that swears by their work.

Good Luck

True Eyes

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know a local shooter who sent a rifle to them for their accuracy makeover. He is pleased on all counts and I've seen some nice groups. It might be wise to figure out what it is that you want before you go shopping.

For example: some guys specialize in REALLY light rifles. Others in heavier rifles with longer barrels and accuracy as the premium. You could ask Jarret to build an ultra-ultra light and he (might) do it wheras Rifles Inc. specializes in such things. If you just want a really well done rifle of average weight and above average accuracy, any of dozens of makers will happily sign you up.

JimF

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Great feedback -- I'll look into the additional custom builders recommended. Thanks. I'm really looking for a standard weight 7mm-08 that has a combination of features that are not offered by any one factory maker. I don't know exactly what I want yet so I'll be talking with custom makers for their feedback as well.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mark Bansner also builds a great rifle, at any weight you want.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I have had Hill Country build me 2 rifles to date and one rebuilt (Arnold Arms "junk") that will now shoot 1/2" groups. I would recomend them highly to any one. Mat the sales manager for Hill Country is great to work with. I found him very helpful in the design of both my rifles. While passing through Texas, I stopped and visited their shop. I was thoroughly impressed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had HCR build my custom 22-250 and accurize my 7mm-08. Both rifles are awesome. They are good people and do excellent work. I also like the fact that I can drive up there in about 30 minutes.

Good Luck,

Bob
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
forshara -- positive feedback indeed. Thank you.

Bobcat -- your rifles are sweeeeet! thanks for posting the pics and feedback.

I am very close to going the custom route with Hill Country -- my credit card is calling my name! I must resist .... just ... a ... bit .... longer.

Last edited by gun_fever; 03/01/03.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Gun_fever, I had them accurize one of my wifes rifles back in Nov. and I just took delivery of my 338 Win mag they twisted up for me. They did a very good job on both guns and I will use 'em again, gotta let the checking acct. heal up some first tho. I went with a synthetic stock for the 338 but they have an inhouse stockmaker that does pretty good work if you want wood. Good luck in whomever you choose, LKH

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one".....Luke 22:36
IC B3

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Your rifles look great! I am getting ready to have Hill Country build me a 22-250. Could you forward more info on yours?

Barrel Lenght and contour
Stock manufacuter, color and style
Scope and Bases
And last how does it shoot

THANKS

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Do yourself a favor & at least talk to more than one gunsmith. Try this guy also.

John Lewis, Carolina Precision Rifles
803-827-2069

Unlike some smith's, John will listen to you!

Life is too short, eat dessert first.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
forshara,

You bet! E-mail me: bconnell@satx.rr.com

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Carolina Precision is another good choice. I just had John rebarrel another one of my custom rifle to a 358 winchester. I t came out great. John does great work and I would recomend him highly.

Over the years I usually have one custom rifle built a year and all I can say is that there are some good gunsmiths and are some that should not be in business.

You can not go wrong with either using Hill Country or Carolina Precision. Beleive me I learned the hard way

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1badf350, 160user, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,275 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,005
Posts18,500,074
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.