-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Couple of problems with the old Walker trigger. Can be adjusted to below 2 lbs. It’s not safe below 3 lbs.
The tolerances are to sloppy for low pull weights. Buy a good after market trigger and enjoy a fine rifle. A Shilen trigger would be a good choice . Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
The rifle was not loaded in the vehicle. I unloaded the rifle when I got back to the vehicle outside of the truck.

Last edited by Slidellkid; 10/07/19.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by justsaymoe
The smith should have removed the tab that allows you to unload on safe. Either way - replace the trigger.

Good idea, funny thing is I have had mine for over thirty years, no issues, I did. Adjust the trigger myself, but knock on wood, no issue to date. Mine is in 25/06.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
Just thought I would post this so folks can be careful. I had an issue with a stiff safety a couple of years ago and the gunsmith told me he replaced the trigger on my 1986 Remington model 700 .264 Win mag for me. I did not ask him what he replaced it with, just what poundage it was. He said it was two pounds and I tried the trigger and it seemed nice. About a year or so ago, I shot a doe, but when I got to her she tried to get up to run. I quickly swung into action and when I took the safety off the gun discharged. I chalked it up to me hitting the trigger in the exactment of her getting up to run. A year goes by and several deer are taken and rifle is taken to the range this past august on two occasions with no issues.

Three weeks ago after an evening hunt I was unloading my rifle at my truck and the gun went off. It scared the crap out of me. I again figured I must have hit the trigger some how. Yesterday I hunted with my son. When we got back to the truck I pointed the rifle in a safe direction and when I slid the safety off she went off .

I will be taking the rifle to Jarret Rifles tomorrow to see what is going on, but just want to give folks a heads up to be careful.

Dan

That's a commonly reported occurrence with the Remington 700.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
Just thought I would post this so folks can be careful. I had an issue with a stiff safety a couple of years ago and the gunsmith told me he replaced the trigger on my 1986 Remington model 700 .264 Win mag for me. I did not ask him what he replaced it with, just what poundage it was. He said it was two pounds and I tried the trigger and it seemed nice. About a year or so ago, I shot a doe, but when I got to her she tried to get up to run. I quickly swung into action and when I took the safety off the gun discharged. I chalked it up to me hitting the trigger in the exactment of her getting up to run. A year goes by and several deer are taken and rifle is taken to the range this past august on two occasions with no issues.

Three weeks ago after an evening hunt I was unloading my rifle at my truck and the gun went off. It scared the crap out of me. I again figured I must have hit the trigger some how. Yesterday I hunted with my son. When we got back to the truck I pointed the rifle in a safe direction and when I slid the safety off she went off .

I will be taking the rifle to Jarret Rifles tomorrow to see what is going on, but just want to give folks a heads up to be careful.

Dan

That's a commonly reported occurrence with the Remington 700.

What? You mean they malfunction when some idiot reworks or alters the parts to non factory specs?

Yeah -that's real common.

With most factory guns.

Last edited by jk16; 10/07/19.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by walt501
Timney replacement trigger.

Cheap insurance.

DF

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I had one do this once. I couldn't make it do it again so I just forgot about it. Sold the rifle 20 years later just becfause I didn't shoot it any more.

Does anyone know if Remington has fixed this problem with current production 700s?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stxhunter
my rem 700, 270 would do the same, had it fixed.

Mine also.
We've only known about the problems with the factory Walker trigger for about 25 years; I guess the word's just getting around.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get a Tikka trigger. Of course, you’ll have to replace the stock and barreled action too.

Glad no one got hurt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by stxhunter
my rem 700, 270 would do the same, had it fixed.

Mine also.
We've only known about the problems with the factory Walker trigger for about 25 years; I guess the word's just getting around.

And it continues to be denied after all these years and all of the verified instances of unintended discharges.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Funny, I have 11 of them, from 1970 vintage up to 2014, never had a problem.

You are obviously very special. You should come to Vegas with luck like that.

I was skeptical of the trigger issue for several years, until I had two unintended discharges like the OP's.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Timney trigger is your huckleberry!

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Meh.

Trigger Tech.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A Rem 700ADL was my first centerfire rifle. A gift from my dad. We cleaned it with WD-40, never took it out of the stock or cleaned the trigger works.

Fast forward to my time in the service, I decide that if I can strip an M16A2 or M4A1 down, I can do the same with a Rem 700. When it came to the trigger works, I used mineral spirits on it and whoa, mama, did some gunk come out. Nasty brown gummy gunk. Never had it discharge when coming off safe, but maybe the Lord was watching out for me.

Dad is still likely to use WD40 on his guns, despite my suggestions otherwise. I tell him if he has to go cheap, automobile ATF and motor oil are the ticket.I have used it on occasion, but only as a solvent that gets cleaned off before lubing.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
That chit is garbage for a lube, which it is not. It is for water displacing. Really gums up over time.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Remington 3 rings of steel. Can’t be beat...

BUT.. thier triggers SUCK

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nylon 66 is the only Remington rifle I ever owned, but I do remember when the 700's came out in the early 60's. They were called the 'poor man's' model 70. Had an uncle and several friends that had them.... didn't take them long to get rid of them, either. Now, from what I read, that are good rifles. My BIL has 2 newer model 308's and they are very accurate.

Has Remington changed the trigger or is it the same one from back in the day?

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Clean It and set to 3 lbs

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The drawing explains what happens. The Walker trigger has a trigger and a connector, the connector is the problem. The connector is what contacts the sear and keeps it from dropping. When the safety is on it lifts the sear off of the connector and also blocks it, leaving the trigger and connector free to move. If the trigger is pulled it will return to its original position and about 99.999999% of the time the connector will, too. But sometimes the connector doesn't, generally because of gunk or something blocking its return. But whatever the reason, it stays out from under the sear. When the safety is pushed off there is nothing keeping the sear from dropping which releases the firing pin and Kaboom.

If you have a Model 700 with the original Walker trigger, cock it and look through the inspection hole in the side of the trigger plate, you will see just how little contact there is between the connector and sear to start with.

[Linked Image from theproductlawyers.com]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Does anyone even know what the gun tinkerer replaced the original trigger with ?

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

427 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 257wthbylover, 58 invisible), 2,631 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,816
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.