-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Your gunsmith, ain’t one. You need a new/real gunsmith.

PS. Cold chamber when just walking and not preparing to shoot.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not long after I came onto the campfire in 2008 I posted a note about a Model 700 owned by a friend/neighbor and his experience with the AD problem referenced in this thread. I had verified the problem by replicating the owner's experiences and said here that I was going to try to fix the rifle... A couple of rather prominent Campfire veterans immediately jumped on me, said I was wrong and was making stuff up and even surmised that I was an attorney trying to make another case against Remington. One of them also said that the trigger mechanism had to have been filthy - gunked up etc. - even though I had noted that it all was extremely clean. My friend was a first-class neatnik. One of those Campfire misfits quietly disappeared a while later and the other is still hanging around (has a huge post count) although I have not seen much from him recently.

As I was starting to work on the trigger mechanism, Mickey Coleman sent me a PM, told me I was correct, and offered to send me a new replacement trigger (for free) that would work properly - simply asked that I send the Rem trigger parts to him for use in his work. Mickey sent the trigger, I installed and adjusted it and sent Mickey the Rem components. The 700 worked great - no AD whatsoever despite all sorts of efforts - and all was good. My friend thereafter hunted and shot antelope, Dall sheep, caribou and some other game without any repetition of the AD problem.

At the very next SW Campfire event out here, two different M 700s did exactly the same AD - both in the hands of very experienced shooters. I posted that note on the Campfire. Also did some more simple home shop testing after that weekend and came up with one clear caution - once a round is run into the chamber and the safety then engaged, any touching of the trigger (even the most minor touch) can create a precarious condition wherein the firing pin will fall on the cartridge when the safety is simply released. Replicated many times.

That REM 700 situation taught me two lessons: First, that a major firearms manufacturer would deny, deny, deny a potentially serious fault with its product to extreme ends rather than admit fault and fix the mess - and - that the Campfire housed both extremes of folks and all sorts in between - from the nasty non-thinkers who live to tear down others to the genuinely fabulous fellows like Mickey Coleman. I got to know Mickey through his knowledge, generosity and kindness - and miss him a bunch. The other end of the spectrum - not so much.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
For those that say muzzle control goes a long way, you are correct in regards to where you want the bullet to go.

However, this does NOT address the FACT that Remington installed a very dangerous, faulty trigger in their rifles.

Keeping a dangerous triggered rifle pointed in a safe direction may indeed ensure the bullet does not hit anyone.

HOWEVER, it does NOT keep it from having an accidental discharge!!!

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by CCCC
Not long after I came onto the campfire in 2008 I posted a note about a Model 700 owned by a friend/neighbor and his experience with the AD problem referenced in this thread. I had verified the problem by replicating the owner's experiences and said here that I was going to try to fix the rifle... A couple of rather prominent Campfire veterans immediately jumped on me, said I was wrong and was making stuff up and even surmised that I was an attorney trying to make another case against Remington. One of them also said that the trigger mechanism had to have been filthy - gunked up etc. - even though I had noted that it all was extremely clean. My friend was a first-class neatnik. One of those Campfire misfits quietly disappeared a while later and the other is still hanging around (has a huge post count) although I have not seen much from him recently.

As I was starting to work on the trigger mechanism, Mickey Coleman sent me a PM, told me I was correct, and offered to send me a new replacement trigger (for free) that would work properly - simply asked that I send the Rem trigger parts to him for use in his work. Mickey sent the trigger, I installed and adjusted it and sent Mickey the Rem components. The 700 worked great - no AD whatsoever despite all sorts of efforts - and all was good. My friend thereafter hunted and shot antelope, Dall sheep, caribou and some other game without any repetition of the AD problem.

At the very next SW Campfire event out here, two different M 700s did exactly the same AD - both in the hands of very experienced shooters. I posted that note on the Campfire. Also did some more simple home shop testing after that weekend and came up with one clear caution - once a round is run into the chamber and the safety then engaged, any touching of the trigger (even the most minor touch) can create a precarious condition wherein the firing pin will fall on the cartridge when the safety is simply released. Replicated many times.

That REM 700 situation taught me two lessons: First, that a major firearms manufacturer would deny, deny, deny a potentially serious fault with its product to extreme ends rather than admit fault and fix the mess - and - that the Campfire housed both extremes of folks and all sorts in between - from the nasty non-thinkers who live to tear down others to the genuinely fabulous fellows like Mickey Coleman. I got to know Mickey through his knowledge, generosity and kindness - and miss him a bunch. The other end of the spectrum - not so much.

Well said.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Meh.

Trigger Tech.

Installed my 5th this afternoon, great triggers!!

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
not too uncommon on 700 s...keep the trigger clean and dry...2 lbs is too light for my taste and comfort...on a big game rifle
Varmint rifles are another matter I rarely use a safety or have a loaded round unless something is in the sights..

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
Originally Posted by CCCC

Well said.

+1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
7 pages on decades old news...........

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That many still deny was ever news to start with.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Funny, I have 11 of them, from 1970 vintage up to 2014, never had a problem.

You are obviously very special. You should come to Vegas with luck like that.

I was skeptical of the trigger issue for several years, until I had two unintended discharges like the OP's.

How many million 700s are there in service today? And you think 11 makes it special? You better stay away from ALL gambling with math skills like that.

I don't gamble, but thanks for the unsolicited advice.
Touched the Rem nerve did I?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Roundball1
Jack Belk believed in his cause. He had written a book on unsafe firearms. He had been suspended from a large forum for a year. His offense was not putting the heavy load warning on loads where needed. The Walker trigger was not allowed as a topic any longer on that forum. Mr. Belk had a large following. Some members were very unhappy about his suspension. In the ruckus some of the reasons for Walker accidents came from Cloud Cuckoo Land.

Plus his continued use of "powder out of a sack". He's lawyer trained to give canned responses and go roundy round until you give up. I never gave up. I've cleaned and adjusted in the neighborhood of thirty Walker, series one and two XMP triggers. Bilk told me I couldn't adjust the XMP and still have the safety work. I have seven rifles that have the XMP triggers, (which adjust exactly like the Walker) all have been adjusted and the safety still works on each and every one.

What gets the Walker trigger is ignorance, dirt and WD40. If your Walker trigger is properly maintained and if you follow the 10 Commandments of Firearm Safety the Walker trigger is flawless.

Believe me or don't.

RJ

When you go afield take the kids. . . . . . . . and please, wear your seatbelts.
Alder, Montana Native. . Transplanted to Craig, Colorado.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Jard Single Set Trigger.

Best of both worlds! Heavy enough unset to be safe even when wearing gloves, and that delightful set trigger for careful, deliberate long range shots.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I was skeptical of the trigger issue for several years, until I had two unintended discharges like the OP's.

How many million 700s are there in service today? And you think 11 makes it special? You better stay away from ALL gambling with math skills like that.

I don't gamble, but thanks for the unsolicited advice.
Touched the Rem nerve did I?

Nope, you waved the "Look at me! I am clueless in math!" flag.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
It's got a case of the Remingtons. Every 700 trigger they've made EVER has been recalled for firing without a trigger press. Why anyone would tolerate them or buy their products (at least without a known-safe aftermarket trigger) is beyond me.

I had a 1980 model year LA... it had issues discharging on its own...Remington Replaced the trigger on a receall and it did it again...I replaced it with a Timney.. that stopped it

I was with a friend elk hunting, and it was an ADL... when we got back to the vehicles one afternoon to head home.. Steve was unleading it and it went off....send a 180 grain Corlokt, right thru both fenders of a guys brand new Chevy Dually 4 WD, with a special paint job to match his new 5th wheel....he wasn't pleased... I think because their were two of us and one of him, it didn't escalate....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Funny, all 14 Raptors ever made blew up in someone's face and nearly killed someone, yet they get a pass because there were only 14 ever made...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Had you adjusted your trigger?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had 2 AD's with a Remington 700, a 1962 model. Trigger/safety assy. was clean and never adjusted by me. I installed a Timney, still waiting for the check for the replacement from Remington.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
Trigger tech and a few minutes and it will cease to ever be an issue.

It doesn't get any easier

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Still laughing ...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Remington reimburse you guys for all those aftermarket trigger purchases????

LOL!!!

Old skool mod 70 triggers rule.......

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

218 members (12344mag, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 375TN, 20 invisible), 1,664 guests, and 1,032 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,967
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.