Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RiverRider
When you get right down to it, every individual is a denomination unto themselves.

word

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by LovesLevers
It would be a far better world if the Catholic Church would simply disappear into the cess pool of history they have created. How anyone can support this church in this day and age is mind blowing. It is nothing but a haven for child molesters and illegals.
Flipping channels there was a preacher that would send you miracle spring water which if you used it God would solve all your financial problems. Another would send you a bottle of oil, use it and God would solve your problems whatever they are. Another said send him "seed money" of $40 a month for a year (credit cards accepted) and he' send you a booklet and CD saying God would return your seed money many times over.

Which would prefer?

None of the above.

Those "money changers" have turned it into a business. Check the scripture to see how the Lord handled those types...

DF

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by Quak
Satan is real...he’s been trying to topple Gods holy church since Jesus was still alive as a man. This does not surprise me... nor does it dissuade me

i listen to a lot of catholic radio programing, there are many observers who describe the condition in Rome as 'chaotic'. i don't think the pope is happy with scrutiny from conservative, catholic, american, news outlets, commentators, theologians and educators, of which there are quite a few

Hey fellas: here's a clue: the Catholic hierarchy is NOT God's Holy church.

This is correct. It is the faithul that comprise the Church universal. I already knew that.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Those "money changers" have turned it into a business. Check the scripture to see how the Lord handled those types...DF
The version of this event as recorded in the gospels I believe is a seriously abbreviated version of a much bigger event. This is what I believe sealed the deal with the Jewish religious hierarchy that Jesus had to be killed. He came in a few days earlier to a heroes welcome. I believe it may have set off a wholesale insurrection that required the Roman army to violently put it down. History is chock full of examples of murder of millions in the name of God. The church today isn't much different. In a lot of countries there is still religious totalitarianism supported by the government as a means to control the population. They would be killing people in this country today except for the wisdom of our founding fathers. I am the only one at the church I attend that is glad the supreme court mostly keeps religion out of public institutions. I take the position of Gandhi, I like Jesus, It's the Christians I don't like.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
Who gives a flip how many different denominations there are...? Despite the insignificant theological differences between them,

Whoa Nellie! there are some crucial theological differences. Or does close enough for government work apply?

There are essential beliefs (such as those that I mentioned earlier), and there are non-essential beliefs. Individuals do have liberty in non-essential beliefs. Believers do have the personal freedom to have varying interpretations on theological issues that are not clearly presented in Scripture.
“Accept the one whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters… Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master servants stand or fall… So then each of us will give an account of ourselves to God… So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God.” - Romans 14:1, 4, 12, 22
Sorta like this communion thing. Is it real or not? Or somewhere in between? Minor theological difference?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
I like Jesus, It's the Christians I don't like.

It’s understandable why SO MANY feel just like you do in those regards.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Who gives a flip how many different denominations there are...? Despite the insignificant theological differences between them,

Whoa Nellie! there are some crucial theological differences. Or does close enough for government work apply?

There are essential beliefs (such as those that I mentioned earlier), and there are non-essential beliefs. Individuals do have liberty in non-essential beliefs. Believers do have the personal freedom to have varying interpretations on theological issues that are not clearly presented in Scripture.
“Accept the one whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters… Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master servants stand or fall… So then each of us will give an account of ourselves to God… So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God.” - Romans 14:1, 4, 12, 22
Sorta like this communion thing. Is it real or not? Or somewhere in between? Minor theological difference?

Not to catholics, as you well know. Transubstantiation, claims of the Vicar of Christ, and Indulgences have long been bridges too far for Protestants, even before there were Protestants. Any bible believing but not pope believing person could not swallow those three items accepting death first.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

People disagree about certain things in the Bible, understandably so, (such as the stories of Noah or Jonah). Demanding that they believe in things that are not pertinent to one’s salvation only pushes people further away. Believing in the stories of Noah and Jonah are NOT essential to one’s salvation, but believing in the The Gospel is...!
Regarding the Catholic doctrine of substantiation...Protestants don’t buy that any more than they buy the Catholic doctrine of praying to Mary.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I believe it may have set off a wholesale insurrection that required the Roman army to violently put it down.
You believe that, why? As far as I know, I've never read any history that happened. Rome just kept killing Christians with impunity until 313. Nero made candles out of a lot of them. Rome did go in and destroy Jerusalem 70 years later, long after Jesus' death and resurrection, scattering the Jews who survived to hither and yon.

There is nothing in the Constitution that makes it a thing to keep religion out of public institutions. The only thing that 1A does is make it so the government cannot create a religion, similar to what England did in creating the Church of England.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X

People disagree about certain things in the Bible, understandably so, (such as the stories of Noah or Jonah). Demanding that they believe in things that are not pertinent to one’s salvation only pushes people further away. Believing in the stories of Noah and Jonah are NOT essential to one’s salvation, but believing in the The Gospel is...!
Regarding the Catholic doctrine of substantiation...Protestants don’t buy that any more than they buy the Catholic doctrine of praying to Mary.

I think the issue for many is the idea that you must believe that the Bible(not sure which one)must be believed in its entirety as the inerrant word of God if you want to be a Christian. To many Christians, there isn't any beliefs that not pertinent.

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by xxclaro

I think the issue for many is the idea that you must believe that the Bible(not sure which one)must be believed in its entirety as the inerrant word of God if you want to be a Christian. To many Christians, there isn't any beliefs that not pertinent.

Catholicism also says that unless one is under the pope, they cannot be saved, because the pope, not Jesus or God, saves and forgives sins. And the priest has to hear a person's confession of sin. It's kind of a deal breaker for some.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by RickyD
[quote]

There is nothing in the Constitution that makes it a thing to keep religion out of public institutions. The only thing that 1A does is make it so the government cannot create a religion, similar to what England did in creating the Church of England.

It does seem to function in that way,to some degree anyway.I suppose it's that government can't really support one religion over another or else it could be claimed they are creating a religion, so they either have to allow all or none. I think it was a very wise thing to put in, no sense in having government involved in religion, that game has been played enough times.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Public institutions can make rules regarding displays of religious material but it has to be all religious material, not just Christian, although they sometimes allow in things like islamic items, likely fearing what might happen if they made it an issue.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJY66

However, what I don't get is where the concept of succession came from other than the tradition of man,

Building a doctrine around one verse or even one chapter of scripture is often a dangerous thing. I think you guys have done it with Matthew 16:18.

Succession - How else would you accurately propagate the word, and authority given the apostles, through the ages? Seems common sense to me. Not everything is in the bible, God gave us the ability to work a few things out for ourselves.

There is more to it than that one verse. I'm not a bible scholar by any means, not even close. Went through this stuff to my satisfaction years ago and much has leaked out my ears while I was asleep. So here's the official teaching:

Cateshism of the Catholic Church

881 The Lord made Simon alone, whom he named Peter, the "rock" of his Church. He gave him the keys of his Church and instituted him shepherd of the whole flock.400 "The office of binding and loosing which was given to Peter was also assigned to the college of apostles united to its head."401 This pastoral office of Peter and the other apostles belongs to the Church's very foundation and is continued by the bishops under the primacy of the Pope.

400 Cf. Mt 16:18-19; Jn 21:15-17.
401 LG 22 § 2. (Lumen Gentium which you can find Here.)

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure it was a rebuke, and a harsh one at that. Like get your head out of your ass, you know better than that. Not you have revealed yourself to be a worshiper of the evil one.

So Jesus made Peter the head of the Christian Church and then told him to get his head out of his ass...?

You've nevr been told that by your boss? laugh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure it was a rebuke, and a harsh one at that. Like get your head out of your ass, you know better than that. Not you have revealed yourself to be a worshiper of the evil one.

So Jesus made Peter the head of the Christian Church and then told him to get his head out of his ass...?

You've never been told that by your boss? laugh

Not ‘right after’ he put me in charge of the entire operation...!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Those "money changers" have turned it into a business. Check the scripture to see how the Lord handled those types...DF
The version of this event as recorded in the gospels I believe is a seriously abbreviated

As I was taught temple sacrifices had to be of pure animals. To insure purity the temple would sacrifice only animals from approved sellers. And these sellers could accept only temple money so you had to change Roman coin for temple. Kickback city, all in the name of God. Should piss anyone off.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickyD
Catholicism also says that unless one is under the pope, they cannot be saved, because the pope, not Jesus or God, saves and forgives sins. And the priest has to hear a person's confession of sin. It's kind of a deal breaker for some.

All of that is factually wrong. Will cite the catechism, the official teaching, if you like.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by xxclaro
I think the issue for many is the idea that you must believe that the Bible (not sure which one) must be believed in its entirety as the inerrant word of God if you want to be a Christian. To many Christians, there isn't any beliefs that are not pertinent.

That’s likely unfortunate. The faith of Christianity is tethered to the event of the Resurrection rather than to the authority and inspiration or infallibility or inerrancy of the Bible. The Bible did not create Christianity. Christianity created the Bible. The Bible did not birth Jesus’ Church. Jesus’ Church birthed the Bible. The Christian faith is anchored to the event (the Resurrection) that sparked the movement (the Church) that brought us the Bible. Christianity began on the very first Easter morning with an empty tomb...! The Bible...as we know it...didn’t even exist until the 4th century AD.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJY66
However, what I don't get is where the concept of succession came from other than the tradition of man,

Building a doctrine around one verse or even one chapter of scripture is often a dangerous thing. I think you guys have done it with Matthew 16:18.
Succession - How else would you accurately propagate the word, and authority given the apostles, through the ages? Seems common sense to me. Not everything is in the bible...
The same people who don't believe in Apostolic Succession when asked how The Word should have been spread instead will glibly answer "through the Bible" when in fact the Bible did not exist until AFTER Apostolic Succession had been in place for 200+ years and those apostolic successors put it together. IT NOT FOR APOSTOLIC SUCCESSION, THERE WOULD BE NO BIBLE.

Re: Mary's intercession - I guarantee you, the same people who question asking for the Virgin Mary's intercession, have no problem asking any random person to pray for them.

Politics is War by Other Means
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (7mm_Loco, 6MMWASP, 6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 9 invisible), 1,763 guests, and 1,014 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,900
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.