Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I'd throw my wife at the intruder and jump out the window.

Kick one of the little dogs for a momentary distraction.

I saw the wife throw the middle child on a snake so she could escape.

Smart woman, she's obviously a survivor.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with the recommendation of the Beretta 1301.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by saskfox
What is the best home defense shotgun. I have several sporting shotguns. A neighbor 6 miles west had a scare a couple weeks ago. I never used to lock my doors but I do now. It would take law enforcement a minimum of 45 minutes to get to my place. Meth is a huge problem here. Thanks

If you can stick with the same controls that are on your sporting shotguns just in a tactical platform.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You didn't say what your "sporting shotguns" were, or I didn't notice, but you could conceivably get a shorter barrel and accouterments for one of those.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Mine is their Remington Tac 14 version with the arm brace.

I've got one of those, too. Sold my Mossberg version due to repeated jam ups. My Tac 14 has been completely reliable.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

^^^^
Best post of the day! LOL

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by moosemike
Winchester 1897 riot.

I've got a couple of the Chinese made ones, and they work.

Yep, that's where I keep it. On the kitchen counter next to the TV.

Hah, just kidding.

[Linked Image]

S
saskfox Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by RufusG
You didn't say what your "sporting shotguns" were, or I didn't notice, but you could conceivably get a shorter barrel and accouterments for one of those.

I agree 100% Unfortunately in Canada we don't have the access to gun parts that our American neighbors do. I grew up with Ithaca model 37. They are still my "go to" shotguns for challenging bird hunting. When I win the lottery I'm buying a farm on the Montana Wyoming border.... lol

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by saskfox
Originally Posted by RufusG

I agree 100% Unfortunately in Canada we don't have the access to gun parts that our American neighbors do. I grew up with Ithaca model 37. They are still my "go to" shotguns for challenging bird hunting. When I win the lottery I'm buying a farm on the Montana Wyoming border.... lol

Well, damn. If you have a 37, you have what you need already. Barrel might be a bit long, since yours is a sport model, but it will do the job.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Which ever shotgun is in your hand during the defense is the best one.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by mtnsnake

Yep, even a side by side 20 ga is a formidable weapon.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by mtnsnake

Yep, even a side by side 20 ga is a formidable weapon.

It’ll kill a Polar bear with bird shot. DRT.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm using the mossberg 500, loaded buckshot, slug, buckshot, slug....
Though that 20ga bantam 500 might be interesting. Feel like PMing me with what you might want for it? I think my son might need another shotgun. smile

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Don't you get to have over-the-counter short-barrel shotguns in Canada with no extra licensing? If so, I wouldn't be running a sport gun as a dual purpose.

If you are allowed to have an AR15, then just get that instead for inside and outside the house.

DD,

OP's in Kanana, so, no real guns for him.

So, North of the border, I'd say Mosberg 590 with a load of #1 buck.

Or if necessary to keep the local Mounties happy there's the old school option. Winchester 97.

DakotaDeer & antelope_sniper;
Good evening to you both, I hope all is well in your respective parts of the world tonight.

While we can have AR variants up here so far - please get out and vote soon fellow Canucks - the AR, AK and FNFAL variants are indeed heavily restricted.

However, we can indeed purchase abbreviated versions of several arms in any action other than semi-auto.

Personally I prefer to practice with the slightly longer and heavier one on the left - an ancient made in Canada Lakefield Mossberg 500, while the center one goes on meat packing duty or other adventures when something more than a stern look and a loud voice might be required.

[Linked Image]

Why these are sideways I have no idea, however that's part of the charm of the brave new world of photos post - photobucket I suppose... wink

If the OP is interested, please feel free to drop me a PM and I can share a few suggestions of where to source some useful shotguns on this side of the medicine line.

All the best to you all as we head into cooler weather and good luck on your hunts.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I saw the wife throw the middle child on a snake so she could escape.

Smart woman, she's obviously a survivor.

LOL

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You should be well served ny a 18"-20" Mossberg 500 or 590, Rem 870, Ithaca 37. If you want to get smaller the 'pistol' like Mossberg Shockwave series 12 or 20 gauge or Rem 870 , or the Remington V3 Tac-13. Best to try the short ones before buying if you can as the recoil can be a bit stout. The Mossbergs are reportedly reliable with an accessory and the shorty Aguila rounds.
The Rem V3 Tac-13 seems to have a less snappy recoil.

Retired cat herder.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i have shot a remington 870 police 12 guage, sights on it, the whole bit
a berretta 1200 fp
a real 1897 trench gun
a norinco trench gun
and a mossberg 590A1

of all of them and a few i probably have left out, i like that mossberg the best.
heavy barrel, heat shield
xs hi vis sights
ambi saftey on top
has spring loaded cutouts on both sides of stock for extra shells.
and you can put a bayonet on it, it's the military version.
pretty impressive to look at and it shoots fine.
as to that mossberg shockwave, i found out real quick that it likes to go airborne with OO high brass buck. Uncontrollable at least for me.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 10/09/19.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Don't you get to have over-the-counter short-barrel shotguns in Canada with no extra licensing? If so, I wouldn't be running a sport gun as a dual purpose.

If you are allowed to have an AR15, then just get that instead for inside and outside the house.

DD,

OP's in Kanana, so, no real guns for him.

So, North of the border, I'd say Mosberg 590 with a load of #1 buck.

Or if necessary to keep the local Mounties happy there's the old school option. Winchester 97.

DakotaDeer & antelope_sniper;
Good evening to you both, I hope all is well in your respective parts of the world tonight.

While we can have AR variants up here so far - please get out and vote soon fellow Canucks - the AR, AK and FNFAL variants are indeed heavily restricted.

However, we can indeed purchase abbreviated versions of several arms in any action other than semi-auto.

Personally I prefer to practice with the slightly longer and heavier one on the left - an ancient made in Canada Lakefield Mossberg 500, while the center one goes on meat packing duty or other adventures when something more than a stern look and a loud voice might be required.

[Linked Image]

Why these are sideways I have no idea, however that's part of the charm of the brave new world of photos post - photobucket I suppose... wink

If the OP is interested, please feel free to drop me a PM and I can share a few suggestions of where to source some useful shotguns on this side of the medicine line.

All the best to you all as we head into cooler weather and good luck on your hunts.

Dwayne

Dwayne,

Thank you for the clarification.

If you wouldn't mind helping me understand one additional portion of your gun laws, what laws do you have regarding the barrel length and legal configurations of shotguns?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
saskfox Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I think I'll stick with my old 37. Hand load 1 3/8 BB. Never a FTF or FTF in thousands of rounds.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have an Ithaca 37 LAPD with rifle sights on a 18" barrel. If somebody is at the front door I think any size shot would work but 4 buck would work.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (260Remguy, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 2ndwind, 673, 16 invisible), 1,694 guests, and 1,003 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,374
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.