Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Judge .410 !

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Remington 870, 20" bbl or less. Ithaca model 37 or Winchester model 12...just as good. Browning Auto 5 as a Wild Card. Agree with the others on the 4 Buck. Don't forget backup.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Having your kid back you up is not a bad idea either.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I run an 870 turkey gun in 12 ga.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
antelope_sniper;
Good evening and thanks for the reply.

So far, our restrictions are more or less like this.

Firearms fall into 3 classes - more or less - which are non-restricted, restricted and prohibited.

We can typically only shoot restricted and prohibited class arms at ranges which are licensed to shoot said arms there.

Although it's highly counter intuitive, some of us can actually own "prohibited" class, usually because we had a particular arm when it became so by a change in legislation, so we're grandfathered in.

Prohibited firearms are full auto and handguns which are chambered for .25 caliber or .32 caliber - so yes indeed a New Service or even a SAA in .25-20 or .32-20 became prohibited - as well as the little pocket pistols in .25 auto and .32 auto which were the initial target of the legislation.

No, it doesn't make any more sense as we proceed.

Restricted firearms are most other pistols and revolvers, as well as AR, AK or FNFAL variants. Any semi-automatic long arm can only have a capacity of 5 rounds, but there are exceptions so far, like Garands and SKS come to mind. Most rimfires are exempt as well.

It gets confusing however in that for instance a Galil is on the list as it's too close to an AK, but a Tavor is just fine and is non-restricted, as it a Mini-14. Most of us believe the list of long arms that made the restricted list were folks who were in advanced stages of hoplophobia - so anything black with a pistol grip made the list.

Any firearm over 26" long in total length - or actually a metric designation around there - that is not designed to be fired with one hand and is not a semi-automatic is not classed as "restricted". There used to be a barrel length designation attached to the definition, but that was dropped some time ago. We'll see 10" barrel side by side and over and under doubles which are interesting to be sure, but personally I find even the 14" barrel is quite a bit louder for the shooter than the 18½" barrel ones.

Lastly, I should note that this applies only to factory barreled arms however, so for instance in the photo, if I were to shorten the barrels of the Lakefield -Mossberg's to less than 18½" they would go into "prohibited" or be illegal.

That's the short version of it more or less and perhaps I've misplaced some details or am out and out wrong, so please nobody take this as the letter of the law.

If I can answer further, I'll do my best.

All the best again and good luck on your remaining hunts for sure.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 10/10/19. Reason: forgot one

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I won a Mossberg 500 Tactical 12 gauge with the heat shield and extended magazine. It’s one hell of a weapon with buckshot. In close quarters, it’s all business!!

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
My son has moved on from the youth 870 20 gauge we bought him as a child. It is now the downstairs closet gun loaded with 00 buck and ready for any bears that may invite themselves in.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I have a short barreled Browning BPS that I like decently well for swinging in tight quarters. However, in an HD situation, I will always be reaching for an AR. More rounds and better at not breaking through walls.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In my understanding of Canadian law you have to be independently wealthy if you want to take a shot at someone, intruder or not, since you are almost guaranteed to end up in court. No castle doctrine here.

Jim

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Thank you Dwayne,

I appreciate the write up. Sounds like you might actually have more options in pump action shotguns than we do down here.

Hopefully someday both of our nations can get our laws squared around to what they should be so a man doesn't need 4 years of law school in order to legally enjoy our firearms.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
In my understanding of Canadian law you have to be independently wealthy if you want to take a shot at someone, intruder or not, since you are almost guaranteed to end up in court. No castle doctrine here.

Jim

We have various insurance options down here.
It's something you might want to look into and see if anyone offers a similar product on you.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Remington 870, 20" bbl or less. Ithaca model 37 or Winchester model 12...just as good. Browning Auto 5 as a Wild Card. Agree with the others on the 4 Buck. Don't forget backup.

Having your kid back you up is not a bad idea either.

Is that an old C-More red dot sight?

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by 700LH
Mossberg pump, tang safety is always easy..

This right here! I have an 870 and a Mossberg 500, and I prefer the 500 due to the tang safety. Every shotgun should have the safety on the tang, IMHO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saskfox
What is the best home defense shotgun. I have several sporting shotguns. A neighbor 6 miles west had a scare a couple weeks ago. I never used to lock my doors but I do now. It would take law enforcement a minimum of 45 minutes to get to my place. Meth is a huge problem here. Thanks

For something that will be used very little and collect dust I would go with Maverick 88 with long tube. The magazine tube length is important because that is a good way to mount combat light which you're going to need on HD shotgun.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Mine is their Remington Tac 14 version with the arm brace.

I've thought about going that route as well. How's the recoil?

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
H&K Benelli Montefeltro Super 90 with a cut-down barrel. 12 gauge of course.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Anyone have any experience with a Bennelli Nova Tactical? Was looking at one and the sights looked first rate.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A 24" barreled Mossberg 930 gets the nod for use at home. It came with a rail on the forearm on which I hung a Streamlight TL-1 with remote switch. It has had several thousand rounds through it without a bobble, it has even cycled Winchester Universals that we're giving others extraction problems. I load it with a couple rounds of low recoil 00 buckshot followed by slugs as largish 4 legged pests can be as likely as two legged ones.

I switched from an 870 to a semi-auto as my wife shoots a semiauto and is much less likely to fumble using it. I have little concern regarding the barrel length as a long gun is better served for static defense than a house search, particularly by oneself. If I have to go looking I'll pick a pistol as it is much easier to use one handed and in tight quarters. It is pretty hard to open a door and keep a shotgun ready for a shot with one hand.

What to use and how to use it comes down to the individual and their particular circumstances. What works best for one individual in one instance may be totally wrong for someone else in another. It is really an example of getting some education in the matter and how one can adapt that information to their application. Greater knowledge and more thought will give one a better perspective on their needs.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by cv540
Anyone have any experience with a Bennelli Nova Tactical? Was looking at one and the sights looked first rate.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Goosey
There is no best home defense shotgun. Older Remington 870P. Benelli M4. Wilson Combat/Scattergun Technologies. Mossberg 590A1. The best one is that which is reliable and with which you can make the fastest, most reliable hits. And don't buy too much into the super tactical FliteControl stuff. Smaller (or wad-sized) patterns have pros... and cons.

Stop trying to sound like a shooter, go back to gobbling cock in the Greyhound station men's room, that's the only shot loads that interest you...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cv540

Yes. This is probably the best bang-for-your-buck home defense shotgun available. I still prefer the Beretta 1301 or the Benelli M2 or M4; however, as pumps go, the Nova or Super Nova Tactical are really tough to beat.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 160user, 45 invisible), 2,275 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,505
Posts18,472,278
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.