Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
ought6 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
While searching our local gun shop for a S&W 63, they had several Buckmarks. I've never had or shot one. How do they stack up accuracy wise? How do they stack up against a bull barreled Ruger Mark II or III?

They looked like neat little woods guns. Are they accurate enough for 10-25 yd. head shots on squirrels?

(Psa 18:34) He trains my hands for battle, So that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

ought6

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
They are rumored to be quite accurate. The one I owned was mediocre, and extremely finicky with ammo preference and had to be cleaned about every 200 rounds or so, or it would start jamming and not functioning properly. MY MKII Ruger on the other hand is a much better gun, it is more accurate than the buckmark that I had and considerably more reliable... Don't fall for the hype the MKII is hard to field strip, as there is one little trick to reassembling them and once you've done it a few times they are easy to do.

Last edited by k3yston3; 02/06/07.
O
ought6 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Thanks for your reply, k3y.

I've had several MKII's. They are outstanding and they are not hard to field strip. Folks just aren't as familiar with them as they could be, I think.

I currently have a slab sided MKII that shoots one hole groups at 25 yds with ammo it likes (and it's not that ammo sensitive). I was just wanting a lightweight 22 for squirrel plinking when woods walking as my MKII has a scope on it. Been thinking about removing the scope, but my eyes are not nearly what they used to be.

I'm actually still leaning more toward a S&W revolver. Great guns.

(Psa 18:34) He trains my hands for battle, So that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

ought6

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The Buckmark Bullseye Target model I had was very accurate, with a good trigger too. My new one has a 4" barrel, and I haven't had a chance to see how accurate it is due to our frigid weather.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
ought6,
Have you looked at the pac-lite barrel/receivers for the mkII from tac-sol? That way you could shed some weight. My partner at work has one on a 22/45 frame and I think it weighs around 26-29oz or so. It is quite nice to pack and quite accurate.

IC B2

O
ought6 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Thanks, k3y.

I'm thinking....... confused

ought6

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have the bull barrel model and a new splash with the composite barrel. Both are very accurate and cycle just about anything. I have a red-dot on the bull barrel.

The only concern I have is to completely clean the pistol you need to remove the top/rail to takedown the action. But with that said I have only cleanded both using the otis cables, which works fine.

Like them both the Splash is super light even with the 7" barrel config. They also have aftermarket composite barrel configs available to retro to the base buckmark.

Just went thru your decision process a few weeks ago when I bought the splash, really looked hard at the MKII - MKIII, the weight difference was significant.

For a real comparison, look for a Sig Trailside (Hamerli), they are light, ambitextrous, and accurate.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
like the mkII dont care for the mkIII im sure its a good gun but I dont care forthe loaded chamber indicater, looks cheap and I do not own or never will own a pistol with a magazine disconnect feature like the mkIII Ive had several buck mks no problems very accurate. like the mkII better for takedown and cleaning.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a Buck Mark 5.5 Target that shot beautifully, as well as I could hold it. I also had an earlier Browning (I don't recall what they called it) that shot very, very well. I keep looking for target grade accuracy in a nice, handy package, so I've traded quite a lot in that pursuit.

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. -- Daniel Webster
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
The Buckmark shoots and functions just fine. It is on the par with my S&W 22A and Colt Woodsman and better than any .22 wheel gun I've ever fired. You would probably have to to to a full blown target pistol to notice the difference in accuracy.

Too old to suffer fools
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yeah, mine shoots good as well. I put a bull barrel on it and a red dot scope.

I never clean the damned thing. Just blow out the action and spray in some lube.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Gene L
Yeah, mine shoots good as well. I put a bull barrel on it and a red dot scope.

I never clean the damned thing. Just blow out the action and spray in some lube.

Gene,

What barrel did you put on yours?
I just bought a new Buckmark, and am in love.. grin

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Damned if I know. Put the heavy round barrel. I sold the 4" barrel for a decent price.

Generally, putting on a heavy barrel requires that you also put on new front and rear sights. Unless you know what the heck you're doing in this regard, ordering from Brownell's can be an experience.

If I had it to do again, I'd call Browning and ask what all you needed to make the conversion.

Plus, mine has a rail. And a cheap red-dot scope.

With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ought6,
I've got a bull barrel Buckmark that I put a Weaver 2X scope on because my 67 year old eyes demanded it. With the right ammo, it shoots almost as well as my S&W Model 41, and I'm pretty particular. I love the Buckmark and use it for squirrel and prairie dog hunting, and it is just plain fun to shoot. I think that it is a pistol that is much better than it is expensive. I let people who are not familiar with shooting try it in order it introduce them to shooting and to eliminate their semi-auto pistol phobia. And experienced shooters really appreciate it. Had a Ruger Mark II and am not a fan. Hope this helps.
Steve

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have had 3 Buckmarks and 3 Rugers. I much prefer the Buckmark. It is more reliable and less finicky + more accurate. I also find the grip fits my hand better. The action is better if you plan to use a suppressor since suppressors tend to foul up the action and the Buckmark action is open on both sides with the slide back making it easy to clean. They are also easier to mount optics and aftermarket barrels to.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have one of the microbucks and it shoots rings around my S&W 22-A 5 1/2".

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I like mine. Unlike the Ruger, you can change the barrel easily, and go from a bull barrel to a flat-sided. But you'll need other accessories, including sight cconfigurations.

Mine has a red-dot scope on it and is quite accurate. It was as accurate as my Ruger, at least. I'm not a big Ruger fan as the triggers on all the Rugers I've ever shot out of the box needed replacing.

With a 1911 and a 30-06

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If you want lighter weight, try the PAC LITE conversion on your Ruger.

I put one on a new Mark III and love it. very accurate and feeds any ammo.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
mine is pretty accurate even with the crappy sights they come with.

I have a lighter contour barrel on mine - got rid of some tree stand chewing squirrels last year.

Spot

My Browning Buckmark Camper with 5.5" bull barrel is a very accurate gun, they have the best adjustable sights and i have never had any misfires, feeding problems, well no problems of any kind. I sold my Ruger MKIII 22/45 because it did jam some times and did misfire, the Browning has never ever missed a beat

Stevens 200 223 Remington
Beretta AL390 Silver Mallard 12 ga.
Browning Buckmark Camper 22
Malin 60SB 22
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

139 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 12,369 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,230
Posts18,544,023
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.