Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Quick is what mystifies me. Brown your sausage which you have to do anyway. Add enough flour to soak up the grease, give it a couple stirs to brown it. Add milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder, a very little hot pepper flakes. Bring to a boil while stirring and eat. How much quicker can instant be?

I can make the Pioneer package mix in 2-1/2 minutes, Haven't made a batch from scratch anywhere near that fast ever.
Boil 1-1/2 cups water in microwave, mix package with 1/2 cup cool water, combine, enjoy.
No one said it was as good as scratch, but it is surprisingly good for package gravy.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NVhntr
That's some good eating right there, cast iron or not.

Yep.....Like you said "nobody's saying it's better than home brewed cause it ain't" but sometimes I have better things to do or just don't have the gumption so it's an easy alternative.

PS......the skillet and griddle are made by lodge and hardly vintage which the purists also turn their noses up at. grin

Last edited by FieldGrade; 10/07/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NVhntr
[I can make the Pioneer package mix in 2-1/2 minutes, Haven't made a batch from scratch anywhere near that fast ever.

Yup quicker, might take me 4 or 5 minutes once the meat is browned. Can't say the extra few minutes ever worried me. Not to say I'm against the stuff, my cousin uses some brand that he gets cheap and it's not bad if you add pepper.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunzo
What is as good as homemade was not the question, because nothing is.

But what is the best other crap, if you've had it ? If you haven't ??

Homemade as fast as instant ?? No wonder some call it SOS.

I have been offered package gravy, tried it, and realized it was crap. The powder kind is literally no faster than scratch. The canned stuff is inedible.

Sam......

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
the reason i use the canned or package is, i precook my bacon, sausage, ham, biscuits, and potatoes at home for several days of breakfasts at the farm during deer season, keeps the smell of the clothes and gives my a little more sleep time smile

FJB
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Thats a good reason!

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockchucker
the reason i use the canned or package is, i precook my bacon, sausage, ham, biscuits, and potatoes at home for several days of breakfasts at the farm during deer season, keeps the smell of the clothes and gives my a little more sleep time smile

That's actually a pretty good idea.

Otherwise, I've never made it any other way, but from scratch.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What Dad used to do sometimes is brown the meat, add flour and seasoning, let it toast and freeze half of that for another day.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So from a cast iron roasted tri-tip last night...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

To the left over all beef fat and seasonings pan gravy this morning. I think leaving the drippings and seasoning in the skillet all night in the cold oven did something magical.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 44 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,959
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.