Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Any shotgun that shoots where you look.

That's the way I went, specifically a standard Remington 870 Wingmaster but with an 18" cylinder bore barrel. Since age 14 I've been shooting an 1100 and it's an extension of my arm. The 870 has the exact same stock shape and mounts and points instinctively. No looking for sights to align or laser dots or whatever. I want to hit the bad guy as fast as a quail on the rise or a bunny dodging through brush.

I call it "Hall Monitor".

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Modified 12 gauge 870 with Magpul stock set, Volquartsen extractor, Burris SpeedBead (3moa dot), Meprolight night sights and an extended and ported choke (worked the best). I chuck it full of the Federal 1 3/4" "shorty" load that has 15 - #4 buck in it. And I can fit a whole bunch of them in the extended magazine!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Is it reliable with the short shells?

Retired cat herder.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Y'all boys ought to see what a load of 12 gauge birdshot does to a man's belly at range of 15 feet. There is a fallacy about shotguns, that the shot spread is so wide, that you don't even need to aim.
Of course most of y'all know this is not true, at inside-the-house range. At 15 feet, you get a hole about 1 1/4 inches in diameter. We called it a "rat hole" as the edges were all ragged, it looked like a hole that had been chewed by rats.

I worked 14 of these cases. One was not inside the house, it was two brothers, out hunting, had a .410, one brother was crossing a barbed wire fence, trigger got hung in the fence and hit his 14 year old brother in the neck, range 10 feet. Number 8 shot. Dead right there.
The other cases were inside the house.

Down in the South, most everybody keeps a loaded shotgun behind the door, loaded with bird shot. Might be a crow, or a squirrel, in the garden. Might be an owl is perching on the telephone wire at night, trying to eat your pet kittens. And, a gun might be needed for household defense.
So, black or white they all have a loaded shotgun nearby, loaded with bird shot, usually #8. I must say only one or two of my cases involved a break in, most of them were father vs. son, or girlfriend vs. boyfriend. It is 10 pm, the two people are drunk, an argument starts, and somebody grabs the shotgun and fires a shot.

Never saw somebody shot twice, never saw buckshot used. I would imagine that whatever #8 shot would do, buckshot would do even better.
At any rate, these 13 cases of inside-the-house shotgun injuries, most of the patients were Dead Right There. Some of them, we got them alive to the ER, but they never made it to ICU. I worked over 200 GSW in my career, I saw people hit with a .357 magnum, I saw a guy get his leg blown off with a 7mm mag, [he lived], but the close range shotgun was the deadliest weapon I ever saw.

We had one case that I thought would break my record. This guy was shot in the adjacent county, which was really backwards and had even a smaller ER than mine did. This pt. was a giant, 6 foot 4 black guy, worked 12 hours a day cutting pulpwood. This guy was about 225, solid muscle and about 27 years old. Looked like he was ready to play for the Falcons.
See, a young healty pt. is harder to kill, than an old sick patient.

So this guy was shot in the adjacent county, and their EMS had brought him to our county. And my little hospital couldn't handle him, so we were transferring him to the big city of Macon Ga. I was attending. The guy had been shot 12 hours earlier. His girlfriend gave him a load of #8s in the belly from 12 gauge, right in the living room range 10 feet.
When we went to pick him up in ICU, he was conscious and alert, to my astonishment. I had never seen anybody survive such a wound for over 30 minutes.
We took him over to the Medical Center of Macon, I was talking to him the whole way, guy sounded like a blues song, "Damn I wish that girl hadn't shot me..." Apparently she thought he had another girlfriend.

I thought for sure this guy would break my record. I called the Medical Center the next morning, the guy died the night before at midnight from kidney failure.

So, if you want the result of the break in at your house to be a dead bad guy, shoot him in the torso with a shotgun.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have a 1100 with a magazine extension, 18” barrel. I can fire 8 shots right quick if I need to.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Masad Ayoob related a tale of a home invader struck with birdshot, dunno the range, the perp lived but as disfigured and blinded for life. His appearance was so awful that he was able to successfully sue the homeowner in Civil Court.

I don't ordinarily keep a shotgun for home defense but if I did it would probly be 12 or 20 (I have both) loaded with OO buck.

I know pumps would be good but I don't shoot these much, OTOH I'm very familiar with break-open doubles. I might short-stroke a pump under stress but I could get two shots for sure with a double.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hanco
I have a 1100 with a magazine extension, 18” barrel. I can fire 8 shots right quick if I need to.

Helluva welcome wagon!

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by saskfox
What is the best home defense shotgun. I have several sporting shotguns. A neighbor 6 miles west had a scare a couple weeks ago. I never used to lock my doors but I do now. It would take law enforcement a minimum of 45 minutes to get to my place. Meth is a huge problem here. Thanks

Got a slug barrel for any of your shotguns? If so, there you go.

Terrible idea if you had neighbors or family in the house. Slugs don't stop for much!

I didn't mean to shoot slugs, just that a slug barrel is much easier to swing in close quarters. They shoot buck shot or bird shot, too.

Shooting shot in a rifled barrel can cause doughnut patterns, so it is something to consider a lot of time on a pattern board.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

Shooting shot in a rifled barrel can cause doughnut patterns, so it is something to consider a lot of time on a pattern board.

True, but I don't think he's referring to a rifled barrel. A slug barrel usually just means a short barrel, with a cylinder bore, and rifle type sights, meant to be used primarily with Foster slugs.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Running 870’s all my life, so the choice for me was an 870 police model, added a buttstock that holds extra rounds, and a light in the forearm. Stoke it with 4 buck and slugs. Not heavy, slim and trim, and I can run it like a machine gun in my sleep, almost. The GSD sleeping by the door will buy me the time to be awake and ready, then bump in the night is in deep kimchi with me awake and stalking it with that gun in my hands, and that dog all over it. Especially after I roll that CS canister down the hall... Keeps the miscreants from finding the door to escape!😂

Last edited by OldGrayWolf; 10/11/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The advantage of pump is low price plus reliability. The twelve gauge allows user to select very fine "tactical" (lower velocity/lower recoil) loads. Both slug and buck shot are readily from several manufacturers. Those are not available in 20 ga and may not work in semi-auto firearms. For HD the 12ga pump gun is the obvious choice. In Canada wonderful affordable and low maintenance model is Hasan "Marine" pump action shotgun. In USA it's available under Dickinson name.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by g5m
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Modified 12 gauge 870 with Magpul stock set, Volquartsen extractor, Burris SpeedBead (3moa dot), Meprolight night sights and an extended and ported choke (worked the best). I chuck it full of the Federal 1 3/4" "shorty" load that has 15 - #4 buck in it. And I can fit a whole bunch of them in the extended magazine!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Is it reliable with the short shells?

So far so good. I put a Wolff extra power magazine spring in it and as long as I keep chuggin, it keeps shooting.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Son keeps his youth 870 20 gauge near the front door when he is stationed in the U.S. My home defense shotgun identifies as an AR. Frankly, any of the options above beat getting caught empty-handed.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

313 members (1lesfox, 2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 28 invisible), 1,889 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,016
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.