Print Thread
Hop To
#14178388 10/04/19
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I grew bored with an old Mosin Nagant that I’ve owned for quite sometime and wanted to do something different with it. I opted to rebarrel and chamber it in 500 Smith&Wesson magnum. I started out with a green mountain bbl blank that I turned, contoured and chambered. Had to modify the receiver and magwell a bit but I got it to feed flawlessly. It actually shoots exceptionally well. Sorry that I only have a link to the picture. Also have a YouTube video of it as well if you’d like to check it out.

[img][IMG]https://i77.photobucket.com/al...96A9-8BA5054A5515_zpsypfygnua.jpeg[/img][/img]

https://youtu.be/JFsOciqVdzw

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Wow! (Watch yer eyebrows with that scope -- looks a bit close for me.)

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I think I would cut a foot off the barrel and turn down some taper. A little maybe,

That is an interesting idea to make something different with a common, low cost, doner.

I watched the video. Yea. I like it!

That reminds me in concept of the 45/70 built on the Siamese Mausers.

Last edited by fourbore; 10/07/19.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thank you. I’m not a hunter and typically like heavy barrels on my guns, so I figured it would be fine with a heavy contour. I might make another and do just that though for someone that wants to hunt with it. With rifles here in Ohio we are limited to straight wall pistol cartridges for whatever stupid reason they made up as law so this thing gets a lot of attention as it sits on the display case in the shop.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I watch another video on removing the barrel from a Mosin Nagant. The guy said it was easy and he proceeded to use 6 foot of leverage! And, I apologize for the bad memory if I got this mixed up, but; I think it was you who also commented on how hard it was to drill and tap the action.

I also saw a 45/70 posted on you tube on a Mosin Nagant. That required opening up the bolt face. The scope was setup as a scout. I guess due to the hard steel. I like what you did a lot better.

Last edited by fourbore; 10/07/19.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by fourbore
I watch another video on removing the barrel from a Mosin Nagant. The guy said it was easy and he proceeded to use 6 foot of leverage! And, I apologize for the bad memory if I got this mixed up, but; I think it was you who also commented on how hard it was to drill and tap the action.

I also saw a 45/70 posted on you tube on a Mosin Nagant. That required opening up the bolt face. The scope was setup as a scout. I guess due to the hard steel. I like what you did a lot better.

Of all the barrels I’ve removed, the Mosin has to be the tightest followed by Tikkas. I’d guess the Mosin barrels are all of 450 ft lbs of torque. The worst is keeping them from spinning when clamped down.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith

Of all the barrels I’ve removed, the Mosin has to be the tightest followed by Tikkas. I’d guess the Mosin barrels are all of 450 ft lbs of torque. The worst is keeping them from spinning when clamped down.

Has anyone had success making a relief cut with a lathe too remove metal from the shoulder of the barrel where it contacts the receiver? An NG barrel would be small loss for the potential gains. I understand this is the way to go with the 1917 Remington rifles. Sacrifice the barrel to reduce stress on the receiver.

Last edited by fourbore; 10/11/19.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by fourbore
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith

Has anyone had success making a relief cut with a lathe too remove metal from the shoulder of the barrel where it contacts the receiver? An NG barrel would be small loss for the potential gains. I understand this is the way to go with the 1917 Remington rifles. Sacrifice the barrel to reduce stress on the receiver.

I’ve done it a few times and it does work well. When a person brings in a gun with a shot out bbl, it’s always a good day knowing that I don’t have to crank on the thing to get it off. And the cut doesn’t have to be right up against the receiver either, just close enough for some give.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (222Sako, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,450
Posts18,489,657
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.