Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
There’s no reason to buy a 380 really. The 9mm options got so small that you may as well get a 9mm.

Almost,....but even the smallest 9mm pistols are big for carrying in a Desantis pocket holster. The .380 chambering is the price you pay for having a .36 caliber pistol the size of a pack of cigarettes.

In my opinion, anything larger than an LCP requires a holster.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bristoe
There’s no reason to buy a 380 really. The 9mm options got so small that you may as well get a 9mm.

Almost,....but even the smallest 9mm pistols are big for carrying in a Desantis pocket holster. The .380 chambering is the price you pay for having a .36 caliber pistol the size of a pack of cigarettes.

You mean requires a belt holster. You shouldn't just carry one loose in your pants pocket, unless the chamber is empty.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While little heavy when loaded the R9 pistol can be easily carried in a pant or jacket pocket. Pocket holster positioning gun butt up is highly recommended but not needed.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

You mean requires a belt holster. You shouldn't just carry one loose in your pants pocket, unless the chamber is empty.

Specifically, I mean an IWB holster,...preferably made of Kydex and positioned over your right kidney under one of those loose fitting t-shirts they sell for $7 at Tractor Supply and canted forward 15 degrees.

,....unless it's winter,...in which case you're holding it in your hand inside the slash pocket of your denim Carhartt barn coat as you walk along.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Winter is easy. I'll carry a fuggin' gummint model during winter.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Specifically, I mean an IWB holster,...preferably made of Kydex and positioned over your right kidney under one of those loose fitting t-shirts they sell for $7 at Tractor Supply and canted forward 15 degrees.

,....unless it's winter,...in which case you're holding it in your hand inside the slash pocket of your denim Carhartt barn coat as you walk along.

But you don't carry the LCP loose in a pocket, do you? You need a pocket holster.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

But you don't carry the LCP loose in a pocket, do you? You need a pocket holster.

As mention,...a Desantis.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

As mention,...a Desantis.

Sorry. Missed that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from shootingillustrated.com]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from thetrace.org]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from sigsauer.com]

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Pocket guns, grab and go guns, summer guns, they are all a compromise. If you are at all serious about the defense of your family and/or self you will always carry, and you will choose a gun and carry method that optimizes the chances of winning a fight. No one, I repeat, no one, can predict the time or nature of that fight.

A shot timer is a great pathway to the truth, can you get off a shot from retention at bad breath distance in close to 1 second at contact distance? Can you draw and fire your weapon of choice into 6" at 7 yards in <than 3 seconds? Can you hit a 12" target at 50 yards on demand? All of these are standard drills and are achievable by regular folks that admit that reality is a bitdtch and do the work.

Almost everyone has the choice and can compromise to their hearts content, the easy and comfortable way is rarely the best way.

mike r

While I surely agree with the thrust & most of your post, try living in a northern winter, wearing a sweatshirt or similar, with a jacket or coat, carrying IWB, ('cause sometimes you gotta take your coat off) & drawing in 1 second with any size gun.

And while I'm not at all a fan of mouse guns & pretty much won't carry one, ever, that scenario is a good candidate for jacket carry with a J-frame, G-26/27 or similar. Wish it could always be a G-19 or an M&P or a Commander or something that I can hit a 12" target at 50 yards of command with but that just doesn't work.

So yes, sometimes circumstances dictate some level of compromise from the ideal.

YMMV

MM

For your problem, a hammerless .38 like the Smith 442 in the left coat pocket is the answer, assuming the main gun is a right hand carry. You can meet the initial threat with the revolver when wearing the coat, hopefully already in hand because you were aware of the problem before it body slammed you. If not, no biggie, you can fire it from inside the pocket if necessary. When wearing the coat, it handles things at least until you can get the main gun into action. Of course, this necessitates training with the weapon while wearing the coat and using the left hand, as you would use it if needed.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
9mm vs. .380 -

.380 was good enough for James Bond

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since you are looking for a "mouse gun" in .380 ACP, would you consider a .32 ACP? The Beretta Tomcat is a front pocket type semi-auto. I have one, and it is the perfect size for shorts and a T-shirt. I saw this one for sale for $425.

[Linked Image from gunsamerica.com]

I also have the ultimate mouse gun, the Tomcat's little brother, the Beretta 950BS Jet Fire in .25 ACP. I feel just as well gunned with the little .25, with high velocity frangible rounds (Blue Glaser Safety Slugs,) as I do with my .32, or even my Sig Sauer P238 in .380.

[Linked Image from gunsamerica.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Pocket guns, grab and go guns, summer guns, they are all a compromise. If you are at all serious about the defense of your family and/or self you will always carry, and you will choose a gun and carry method that optimizes the chances of winning a fight. No one, I repeat, no one, can predict the time or nature of that fight.

A shot timer is a great pathway to the truth, can you get off a shot from retention at bad breath distance in close to 1 second at contact distance? Can you draw and fire your weapon of choice into 6" at 7 yards in <than 3 seconds? Can you hit a 12" target at 50 yards on demand? All of these are standard drills and are achievable by regular folks that admit that reality is a bitdtch and do the work.

Almost everyone has the choice and can compromise to their hearts content, the easy and comfortable way is rarely the best way.

mike r

While I surely agree with the thrust & most of your post, try living in a northern winter, wearing a sweatshirt or similar, with a jacket or coat, carrying IWB, ('cause sometimes you gotta take your coat off) & drawing in 1 second with any size gun.

And while I'm not at all a fan of mouse guns & pretty much won't carry one, ever, that scenario is a good candidate for jacket carry with a J-frame, G-26/27 or similar. Wish it could always be a G-19 or an M&P or a Commander or something that I can hit a 12" target at 50 yards of command with but that just doesn't work.

So yes, sometimes circumstances dictate some level of compromise from the ideal.

YMMV

MM

For your problem, a hammerless .38 like the Smith 442 in the left coat pocket is the answer, assuming the main gun is a right hand carry. You can meet the initial threat with the revolver when wearing the coat, hopefully already in hand because you were aware of the problem before it body slammed you. If not, no biggie, you can fire it from inside the pocket if necessary. When wearing the coat, it handles things at least until you can get the main gun into action. Of course, this necessitates training with the weapon while wearing the coat and using the left hand, as you would use it if needed.

Not really a problem, just circumstances you have to deal with from time to time.

Yep, a 442, a 340PD & a G27 fill my jacket pocket needs just fine.

MM

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Y’all are talking about hands in your pockets a lot

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Y’all are talking about hands in your pockets a lot

If you decide to compromise in the interest of comfort it helps to create an alternate reality. Many believe that their "heightened sense of situational awareness" is perpetual and will allow them to control the circumstances of the fight.

Others just suck it up and train. Having choices is a wonderful thing.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I've owned the g42, lcp, and bodyguard. I still have the lcp. More comfortable of the 3 to carry and never had an issue. I actually liked the g42 when target shooting but my wife limpwristed the heck out of it, in fact, almost every woman I've known shoot one limpwrists them. She never had an issue with the lcp.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Buy a 9mm

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by renegade50
Meh.......
Bersa .380 combat plus 15+1
Back pocket of a pair of blue jeans and your t shirt over it...
Walther ppk clone.

I found my ppk in my bosch rechargeable drill bag. lol. It wasn't lost-lost like the p-22 when I forgot about it in that shoe for over a year in the trunk.

The bersa, it's living the hard knock life now. Might be in the pathfinder next to an empty RoundUp jug.

😄😄

No it aint
Still in the factory box I bet.
I know you like that pistol!!!

You got more handguns than carter has pills.
LOL!!!!
Im gonna get another for my xmas present.
Khan/ wife dont know it yet.. eek smirk laugh
Might even get it sooner.

Get ya one of them hot pink snow camo Ruger Uber Americans in 21 Furball.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (10gaugemag, 44mc, 2500HD, 35, 69sportfury, 14 invisible), 1,624 guests, and 984 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,119
Posts18,483,537
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.