Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jorgeI
As to the indians, consider this; Throughout most of the former Spanish Empire, compare those countries who assimilated the indians and those countries who eradicated them (or almost) when it comes to successful nation states....

What would be your point here, and which countries would you use as examples of each?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Jorge,

The caste system in New Spain was diabolical. The regulations were established by royal decree.and they were extremely strict. One faced anything from excommunication to possibly death for simply dressing above their station. Assimilation was pretty brutal in those days.

I would post a link describing it, but I gotta go haul some bulls to auction this morn for a friend. Y’all have fun.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It was to a point, but clearly in all LA countries save for Argentina, Chile, Costa Rica and Cuba, the indian populations were pretty much eradicated and oddly enough the aformentioned countries achieved the highest levels of socio-economic development as compared to those that created the "mestizos"... Bell Curve...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
…I gotta go haul some bulls to auction this morn for a friend.

KW,

I have heard it said you were a major bullshipper....

grin

Last edited by Johnny Dollar; 10/15/19.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It was to a point, but clearly in all LA countries save for Argentina, Chile, Costa Rica and Cuba, the indian populations were pretty much eradicated and oddly enough the aformentioned countries achieved the highest levels of socio-economic development as compared to those that created the "mestizos"... Bell Curve...

So you're saying the best route to prosperity was to avoid "eradicating" the natives and keep the populatuon separate from the colonizers?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They both fought the USA and lost.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In the end might makes right, always has. The land is only yours as long as you have the power to hold it. The south then the indians both found out they didnt have the power to hold theirs. The physical land was taken from the indians. The south lost its power of self determination and way of life. It also lost actal land and business to carpetbaggers and reconstruction.

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole

So you're saying the best route to prosperity was to avoid "eradicating" the natives and keep the populatuon separate from the colonizers?

No sir. The route to prosperity is exactly what happened here and all the countries mentioned.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hawaiians got it right

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
…I gotta go haul some bulls to auction this morn for a friend.

KW,

I have heard it said you were a major bullshipper....

grin

🤣🤣🤣👍👍

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 44mc
people have ben killing other people for as long as people have been alive .it aint going to stop tell there is no people to kill other people

Something about two brothers..........

Sean
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Originally Posted by 44mc
people have ben killing other people for as long as people have been alive .it aint going to stop tell there is no people to kill other people

Something about two brothers..........

and a bowl of soup

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I have just finished reading "The Earth Is Weeping", a book abut the Indian wars in the American West. Very good book. So, the title of the thread......what did the CSA and the Indians have in common........they both got screwed over big time by the US government.

Anyway you cut it, the Indians got the shaft. They were lied to, cheated, pushed, shoved, murdered, starved, and screwed to the limit. Yeah, I know, the Americans just did to them what they did to another tribe......right? No.....the Indians were here to begin with, and earned "squatters rights". The White man wanted their country, so he took it.

The same Yankee generals that screwed the South.....Grant, Sherman, Sheridan, and Custer also did the same to the Indians, hence the connection. They burned and starved them out just as they did the South......all in name of righteousness and justice. At least that's the way I see it.

The Confederates hated the Indians and the Indians hated them back.

The Indians were treated better by the USA then they treated each other.

The Confederates deserved everything that happened to them because they chose the fight a war of rebellion.

[Linked Image from ]
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Shouldn’t we get reparations? I’m cool if the government wants to let me get paid in new/used firearms from the local armory.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

No sir. The route to prosperity is exactly what happened here and all the countries mentioned.

Interesting theory. Do you think that's a more important factor than either wealth of natural resources or form of government?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"Mostly what happened to the Indians was they were inundated by a sea of Whites that no power on earth could contain,"

Spot on Birdy!!! Everyone these days punks on Andrew Jackson as an indian hater. He wasn’t. ( He was a British hater! Killed lots more Brits than he did Indians). If anything he save the Five Civilized Tribes from almost certain annihilation by their removals. He told the chiefs " If I could build a wall 100 feet hight and a 1000 miles long the white man will find a way to go around, over, or under it!” Jackson knew there would have been a war of total destruction against them. Some of the natives were actually acceptable to the plan.
Pushmataha of the Five village s of the Choctaws in Mississippi ( commander of all Mississippi state troops at New Orleans) hunted bison in what is now Oklahoma as a young man, The Americans wanted to move them to SE Arkansas. He said no! That was the land of the Quapaws. But suggested his old hunting grounds in SE Oklahoma. At the time it wasn’t claimed by anyone. He loved that area and thats where they went. He knew it was better land than where they were!!!

People overlook too the friggin' enormous amount of exchange that went on any time the Frontier stabilized for any amount of time.

First off the obvious fact of Euro colonists adopting as their staples American Indian food crops.

And the other obvious of Indians adopting firearms, to the extent that you can build a strong case that the distinctively American longrifle was actually developed for the Indian trade, based upon Indian preferences. And the small axe, so useful in so many situations, became stereotypically part of Indian culture. In that light Dan'l Boone and all the other longhunters were adopting a sort of culturally hybrid manner of living and dress first developed by, and copied from, the Indians.

Beyond that split rail fences, glass windows, metal door hinges, shingled roofs, sawn timbers appear at least by the 1750's in Eastern Indian villages. By the Rev War the same Mohawks who went to war mostly naked and garishly painted were living in sawn timber farmhouses and hauling farm produce in horse drawn wagons. When Arthur St. Claire got whupped to the tun of 600 American lives lost on the Wabash (1793??) the Miami Chief Little Turtle who led the Indians lived in a two story house with glass windows, even had a friggin harpsichord in the parlor, and his town, Kekionga, had plank sidewalks and two general stores.

The Oniedas and Palatine Germans pledged total unity as early as the F&I War, forming mixed Ranging Companies. Down in the Southeast intermarriage with Whites was frequent among the Five Civilized Tribes and by the 1790's Creek Chiefs lived on plantations, kept slaves and were breeding and racing fine horses. During the Creek War William Weatherford, by DNA 7/8th White, was leading the "Indians" and the land the infamous "Fort Mim's Massacre" that led to Jackson's intervention too place on the land of the half-Creek mixed blood Frederick (??) Mims. There being about as much Native DNA inside and outside those walls.

I suppose the Cherokee were the mixed heritage poster child, everyone knows about their Legislature and alphabet, fewer know that two of their Chiefs, Crazy James and his son Rich Joe Vann, were two of the wealthiest men in the US in their day, thanks primarily to their shipping concerns.

Here in Texas, the Comanches had largely switched over to a cattle-based herding and ranching economy by the late 1860's, trading 30,000 head of cattle to the US Army in New Mexico in 1873, right before the Red River War broke out.

But still, easier just to go with the Pop version of History I guess...... White man bad, Indians simple, but good......

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Here in Texas, the Comanches had largely switched over to a cattle-based herding and ranching economy by the late 1860's, trading 30,000 head of cattle to the US Army in New Mexico in 1873, right before the Red River War broke out.

Birdy,
You are right of course about the southwest tribes adopting whitey's capitalist ways, and in some cases beating them at their own game. However, there were still plenty of Indian raids going on in the 1860's clear up until the 1880's. Especially in the territory north and west of Austin up in San Saba, Llano, Blanco and that area. The Indians may have recognized they were whipped but it didn't stop them from a quick sucker punch when they saw the opportunity.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
the fusion of cultures. what a concept.

first the point of the spear.

then later, fusion.

when technology moves across the face of the urth, it's in fits and starts.

an individual life doesn't mean much when an ideology is on the line.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Birdy,
You are right of course about the southwest tribes adopting whitey's capitalist ways, and in some cases beating them at their own game. However, there were still plenty of Indian raids going on in the 1860's clear up until the 1880's. Especially in the territory north and west of Austin up in San Saba, Llano, Blanco and that area. The Indians may have recognized they were whipped but it didn't stop them from a quick sucker punch when they saw the opportunity.

Well, a pastoralist lifestyle doesn't necessarily imply pacifism, look at the Mongols for example. When Kit Carson went up against the Kiowa at the First Battle of Adobe Walls (1864?), the Kiowa camps were all keeping company with large herds of cattle.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Interesting theory. Do you think that's a more important factor than either wealth of natural resources or form of government?

I'm not sure aI understand your question, but all I can tell you is in countries where the Europeans mixed with the locals, they didn't fare as well by ANY valid measure of effectiveness , unless you consider poverty, schitholes as ok.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,828
Posts18,477,926
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.