Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
So where is any evidence about going barefoot vs wearing shoes at all times (house etc) Seriously, I would like to know what is the best thing to do? Seems I hear 50/50 for each.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by verg
So where is any evidence about going barefoot vs wearing shoes at all times (house etc) Seriously, I would like to know what is the best thing to do? Seems I hear 50/50 for each.

While healing you need to have support to allow those tears to heal so shoes/slippers (and the sock that keeps your foot/ankle @ 90-ish degrees while you sleep) is critical. After it is healed, with stretching and such I have found normal barefoot is fine around the house/yard/boat. If you run/hike though I suggest insoles and good support.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've worn quality custom boots for the last 35 years. In that time I had a couple instances where I went to some high end court shoes with the thought of lessening wear on the boots. Both times, I paid miserably for that experiment. Put my boots back on it was a laying on of the hands in both instances. Likely, proper support is the issue. If one has done any shifts in foot ware recently, that might be the issue.

Good luck.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
First thing I would do, based on my experience, is to find a good Phys Therapist that can show you how to tape your foot. My doctor did nothing right except refer me to PT. After doing the PT routine, calf stretches and the like, the PT guy taped my foot and I had instant relief. Yes, instant or nearly so, after weeks of waiting to get in, it seemed so simple I wondered why the friggen doctor didn't do it.

The taping is not a cure. Neither is the "Sock" or the other contraption that's pictured above. Same with heel pads/ inerts. But they allow one to function until one can work long enough on the stretching and exercises.

Like Johnny Loco, it's almost a religion now. Haven't had a serious recurrence for a long time. Couple of months back I broke out the sock for a week or so. ANd did more stretches and exercises.

I'm a barefoot type person, and wear shoes that are "oversized" when I wear shoes, so my feet can spread in them. Like Kaywoodie, my "pointy cowboy boot " days are over. I have loose slip on shoes so I can run out in the yard to do crap without having to lace up.

Good luck, but I can't overemphasize the relief I got from learning how to tape my foot. And that Strasburg Sock helped bunches too.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by verg

I certainly will enter the debate. God made you without shoes, everything below the calf has many moving parts, nerves, and is very complex.

Most of us can’t go barefoot long enough to build up the 1/4” layer of God given possible tissue so we need to wear shoes. What your shoes do not need is support, inflexibility, and without the room for your toes to spread out naturally.

What it boils down to is “use it or lose it”

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 10/16/19.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m just trying to help y’all out because when the crap hits the fan, I don’t want a bunch of broken down white guys trying to save our race.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
BRISTECD: I (and BOTH of my brothers!) have suffered just once apiece from this painful condition!
All three of us were cured by having custom made/fitted insoles (shoe inserts!) made for us and we quickly recovered once they were put to use.
What puzzles me is why I got this painful condition in the first place and why it has never recurred (thankfully!) - I no longer use the inserts by the way.
I say ask for custom fitted inserts and hopefully that will have the same effect on you as it did on myself and my two brothers.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I had it bad. Tried different remedies. What helped the most was to wear a different pair of boots each day, rotating between 4 or 5 different pairs of boots.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
Anybody ever have it? How did you get over it? Going on 6 months now and getting worse for me. Dang foot Dr is a quack I think, just wants to sell some shoe insoles. I’m hobbling around and it’s starting to get old. Need some ideas on help.

Tried everything under the sun. Taping my arches, stretching, insoles, soaking my feet etc. Then I started taking 2,000mg of Omega 3 four times a day with a meal and it cured it completely! Highly recommend this.

MAGA! This is the way!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Have not had it, but a good friend has. He did just about everything mentioned above except the night boot, to my knowledge. Some remedies more effective than others - he speaks of the importance of the various stretches and the ice rolling. But, his success in beating the ailment was still limited, until he found ultimate recovery accidentally by taking barefoot walks in the dry sand at a beach. Not an option for many. Just thought i’d throw it out there. Second hand intel. Try it if you can.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I developed it about five years ago when I moved into a house with tile floors. I suffered with it for about six months. I had read somewhere that if you take a towel and put it behind the ball of your foot in the morning before you get out of bed and pull back on the towel to stretch your foot back but that would relieve it. I did that for about a month and it went away. During that month I also put on house shoes with some arch while in the house where previously I would walk around barefoot or in socks.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by slumlord
Sleep with a night brace corrective boot for about 6 months.

I had dat sheeit for years standing on ladders doing siding and roofing work.

Shoes and dr shoals stupid inserts are gimmicks.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I had a one of those stupid boots for keeping it stiff up while sleeping, having custom fitted insoles fixed the problem for me, that was nearly 10 years ago and I am still using those insole but they have been rebuilt several times.

The other change was going to a good shoe store that fits you with the correct shoe or sneaker, my podiatrist sent me to a local sneaker store were many professional and Olympic runners come to be fitted. Those sneakers were just over $100 but they also made a big difference.

Ted
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
THIS IS the real fix. I had it bad in both feet. Went to multiple doctors had shots nothing worked for long. I also slept in braces and they did not work. Somebody referred me to a store called the good feet store
https://www.goodfeet.com/

They are not cheap but mine was gone in less than a week and that was 5 years ago. Thanks me later.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by memtb

A fix for “plantar fasciitis” is not overnight, it takes time.....

This................no matter how you choose to treat it.

Then, one day, all of a sudden, it's pretty much gone.

MM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had it, but it went away on it’s own

Sam......

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I purchased a pair of White's boots and that fixed my feet. That was 15 years ago, and I'm still pain free. I wore them daily for a long time, and I still wear them for work. Worth every penny.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Lots of things can make your feet hurt. Plantar Fasciitis is fairly common so it gets blamed even though the problem might be something completely different.

Read this page for a good definition:

Mayo Clinic

The key is this part:

Plantar fasciitis commonly causes stabbing pain that usually occurs with your first steps in the morning. As you get up and move more, the pain normally decreases, but it might return after long periods of standing or after rising from sitting.

If that doesn't fit your symptoms, you probably have a different problem.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
As a long time runner I had it several years ago and as with anything like that the area needs strengthened. I started going barefoot a lot and even running barefoot and it gradually melted away. Don't band aid it... go to the root cause... which is almost always weakness or extremely tight calf muscles.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
Anybody ever have it? How did you get over it? Going on 6 months now and getting worse for me. Dang foot Dr is a quack I think, just wants to sell some shoe insoles. I’m hobbling around and it’s starting to get old. Need some ideas on help.

Get a descent sized hammer , lay your hand on a solid surface and bash the schitt out of it.
Foot pain usually dissipates quickly .

We pray our sights be straight
and our aim be true
We pray for no pain
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get the inserts from your podiatrist ($80+-). I also use a wooden rolling pin, sitting on a towel in front of my chair, to roll under my foot. A frozen bottle of water will work wonders. Stay away from memory foam shoes and forget going barefoot again. Spend money on a couple of good pair of orthopedic flip flops ($65-$85). I'll guarantee you'll spend less money taking care of your feet than you"ll spend on good whiskey. Been there... done that.

BP...

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (10ring1, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 44 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,628
Posts18,474,244
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.