-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Got home from setting up elk camp 4 hours drive south , East and South of St. Maries.
Been scouting for the last couple weeks and have found several areas where the range of the 300 will work.
My EG is wearing a Lightfoot mount and a Denver Redfield
Going to work up loads today .
Backup for longer range is going to be the 110 3006 I got from Fireball2.
I have loads worked up for it that will be good to 400 yards though I limit myself to 300 with maybe a stretch to 350.
Can only see out of one eye anymore . Lucky it's my scope eye!
Would hate to have to become a leftist at this stage.
Had 3 moose almost walking through camp night before last. Big old cow with last year's calf and this year's calf. Got exciting for a while when this year's calf came within 30 feet of the fire. Momma showed whites of her eyes and bristled like only a moose can.
Will report back after the hunt.
Just wish I had some savage headstamped brass to make it an all savage hunt.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Sounds heavenly! I do so wish to hear of you whacking an elk with that .300!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Good luck, deerstalker!
I'll be doing something similar next week. I'm heading to Wyoming on Wednesday to see if I can get it done on a pronghorn with a 99F .308 wearing a Weaver K4 60-B. I would like to keep shots inside 200 yards or so. Since it's late season, if the goats are pressured, skittish and uncooperative, I might have to go to plan B, a Montana in 7-08. Even at that, I won't take a poke at a goat beyond 400.

Good luck to you and have a great hunt.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
good chance of a dandy mulie in that local too.
sat around the fire thurs evening and watched 8 mulie does browse on a clearcut about 1200 yards out.
the first doe i saw skylined and looked like a cow elk until i got my binos on her.
saw 10 cows , each with a calf all lined out on a logging road. trailing them was a raghorn and a TALL 5x5.
back in the reprod was one that wouldn't expose himself, but he showed the tops which were ivory. he let the wimmins and chillins lead the young bulls into the open while he snuck over the top.
my partner/cousin's kids came in the next day and saw the group in the same spot.
guess where i am going to be come daylight the 10th!
i haven't been healthy enough to really hunt for about 10 years so this really has me stoked as you can tell.

forgot, got a report from the kids we left there, they saw a 450ish blackie there yesterday. and wolves were serenading them last night. just might turn into the hunt of a lifetime. grin

Last edited by deerstalker; 10/05/19.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tom! That's a fantastical report! You are fixin to have one hell of a hunt. I'm rootin for the 30/06 of course!!!!

LOL
IC B2

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That 300 will definitely take down a bull. It’s all about bullet placement. Which applies to every cartridge type.

Any elk taken with a 99 is cool. I would use the heaviest bullet I could for elk.

Good luck.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Tom! That's a fantastical report! You are fixin to have one hell of a hunt. I'm rootin for the 30/06 of course!!!!

after the report on the godzilla black bear i am going to get a bear tag just in case. the kids said they got pictures so as soon as i get them i will post them.
a 450ish black bear is a hog in this neck of the woods.
ps Roy. i just may take a certain 99cd 243 along just for ghits and shiggles!

Last edited by deerstalker; 10/05/19.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Happy Hunting Tom!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, we survived a week in a tent at Elk camp, or I should call it forward operations camp unit 6.
Temps were around 16* at night and the tent we had was made to the everglades.
We went 6 days with no elk in sight, on the 7 th cows opened for 3 days.
Spotted 5 cows at 1000 yards behind a gate that four wheeler access was allowed .
Went back to get the quad and momma said she was done.
Sooo, we packed up and came home.
Hunter behind gates in some dream territory with the 300. Had a hard case strapped to the quad for transport. Booked it going around a gate and it tumbled down the mountain. Show no damage but I couldn't trust the scope to be on and had nowhere to test it.
Saw 6 moose, 5 grouse, 15 deer, 2 bear, 5 elk, 3000 Washingtonian hunters , each with a truck and quads of all kinds, 1 north Dakota truck, and one really lost guy from Georgia.

At 68 I didn't think the tent camp would be as tough as it turned out to be.
I still have some season left so will just hunt from home.
The unit we were in had the highest success rate last year which shows this year being down.
My cousins daughter got a 5x4 opening day 200 yards from their camp, which is the only bull we heard about .
All in all 7 days out of phone range was great though.
Good to be home though.
T om

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Still sounds Like a Great Trip Tom, and you saw some Game! Wishing you Luck on your Quest for Elk near Home!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well one more chance this year for an elk, any weapon season closed tonight. Have a muzzleloader season in December.
Going to hunt. Deer until then with my 300 EG. Our deer population is 1/10 of its strength of even 5 years ago.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I tell the boys I'm not hunting all the deer, I'm only hunting one.

And he's in BIG trouble! grin

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I tell the boys I'm not hunting all the deer, I'm only hunting one.

And he's in BIG trouble! grin

So, what do you tell the girls? How about the transgenders? Let's be impartial. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Girls, or girl deer? If we're talking girls, there was a time when they was in BIG trouble too! Not so much anymore. I probably couldn't catch one in a wheelchair these days.

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Well then get up out of that wheelchair.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
i still chase the girls , just make sure i don't catch one!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deerstalker
i still chase the girls , just make sure i don't catch one!

I'm sure they'd deserve the thrashing you'd give em Tom!

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
be more of a licking than a Thrashing laugh

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by deerstalker
be more of a licking than a Thrashing laugh

laugh laugh laugh
About 15 years ago, I hunted with my '51 R .300 and used a handload utilizing a 165 grain Partition and enough Rx 12 to give it 2525 fps. The elk didn't cooperate but, it was a lot of fun and I wrote in my journal that I felt like Charles Bronson in Death Hunt hunting in the snow. grin

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 2,614 guests, and 1,393 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,449
Posts18,471,018
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.