Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TheKid
After seeing your pics on here Form I’ve started using the 77TMK in my AR. Haven’t shot any animals yet but I bet it won’t be long.

I'll be running them in a new barrel today. I'm hoping for good results. I may even take one of my old rifles and see how they fare. May take a while to break in the new barrel. From what I hear the 77TMK is a killer for sure. Passes the FBI penetration tests when the 73 gr. ELD match bullet wouldn't even come close. I may be making a switch if they shoot as good as form and others have said...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
HR IC

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
We’ve been knocking the snot out of deer with the 55gr ttsx for a few years now.

That’s what I’d recommend.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
After seeing your pics on here Form I’ve started using the 77TMK in my AR. Haven’t shot any animals yet but I bet it won’t be long.

I'll be running them in a new barrel today. I'm hoping for good results. I may even take one of my old rifles and see how they fare. May take a while to break in the new barrel. From what I hear the 77TMK is a killer for sure. Passes the FBI penetration tests when the 73 gr. ELD match bullet wouldn't even come close. I may be making a switch if they shoot as good as form and others have said...

They are good deer killers BSA. My boy took a few deer with them at 2900 from a 223. Worked just like Form mentioned. Blew chucks up decent too.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Willicd
Originally Posted by battue
If they worked in your 1-12, they will work in your 1-8.....
Why look for something to engage heavy bone in a .224 bore at 50-100yds? You can shoot them in the eye at that distance with damn near anything and it will be good...

All don’t shoot them only when they are motionless.

What bullet do you suggest for shooting moving game with a .224 Cal?😂

55&62 TSX has worked. I suspect they would also do so in Texas.

Addition: Makes no difference if they are standing or moving. Shoot them up front and those two work the same. What say you? Agree or disagree?

Last edited by battue; 10/19/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by Robert_White

77 tmk is a killer?
Hmmmm...

Mo better than a 75 gold dot???

Significantly more tissue destruction. The 75gr GD’s are great bullets. The 77gr TMK’s are almost too much for deer.

I found your pictures on Rokslide...
I AM a believer!
Brutal.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have used the 77TMK on a few deer now and brutal is a good description

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Latest victim.

Antelope, 186 yards, nearly straight on. This is exit side.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Why look for something to engage heavy bone in a .224 bore at 50-100yds? You can shoot them in the eye at that distance with damn near anything and it will be good...

Addition: Makes no difference if they are standing or moving. Shoot them up front and those two work the same. What say you? Agree or disagree?
Shoot them forward of the diaphragm and it makes no difference whether they're running all out or standing still. I've killed them on the run with ordinary 55 gr sp's no problem {Hornady, Win. and Nosler}. One big buck cartwheeled instantly from a quartering away shot that hit near the last rib and ranged forward into the off shoulder. That was back in the early 90's with the old 55 gr Nosler solid base atop a stiff load of 3031.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

They are good deer killers BSA. My boy took a few deer with them at 2900 from a 223. Worked just like Form mentioned. Blew chucks up decent too.

Right on man. This is how the new barrel shoots. I'm pretty happy with the 77 TMK, accuracy wise... crappy day to be shooting though:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Shoot them forward of the diaphragm and it makes no difference whether they're running all out or standing still. I've killed them on the run with ordinary 55 gr sp's no problem {Hornady, Win. and Nosler}. One big buck cartwheeled instantly from a quartering away shot that hit near the last rib and ranged forward into the off shoulder. That was back in the early 90's with the old 55 gr Nosler solid base atop a stiff load of 3031.

That's the way it works....

laissez les bons temps rouler
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Robert_White

Do all the tmk s work the same?

They are similar in performance, but that performance varies.

In General- lighter for caliber will have a bit wider, shallower wound channel. Heavier for caliber will have a deeper, slightly less wide wound channel.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I know this bullet is short enough to use in a 1 in 9 inch twist but I bought a thousand of them a while back. The Hornady 75 gr HPBT match bullet with cannelure has killed all I have shot with it. Gives pretty good penetration and is able to break bone. I like it for neck and spine CNS hits on feral hogs.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
An inexpensive option is the old Speer 70 grain semi spitzer. The low BC will not be an issue at the ranges your shooting. It was designed for Deer and predators in the 223 as the heaviest bullet that would stabilize with a 1-12 twist. In a fast twist it works even better.

For bone I would go with any of the mono bullets.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don’t care for the .224 bullet for hunting, but I’ve had decent luck on hogs with 55 grain Barnes. Just be prepared for them to run a while with anything other than a central nervous system hit.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Many good choices. 75 grain Hdy HPBT kill things with authority, but don't expect exits. The 62 grain Fusions work well if you insist on exits, but the wound channel nor blood trails are very impressive. The old 64 grain Power Point kills well too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My AR shoots the 75 grain Speer Gold Dot ammunition very well. I'm thinking about loading that bullet for it when I run out of the factory stuff. My AR also likes the 62 gr. Barnes TTSX. I've killed a ton of pigs, sheep and deer with the 64 gr. PowerPoint as well.

Last edited by DubThomas; 10/21/19.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tom_in_AZ
I don’t care for the .224 bullet for hunting, but I’ve had decent luck on hogs with 55 grain Barnes. Just be prepared for them to run a while with anything other than a central nervous system hit.

Interesting. My fiance shoots all kids of stuff with her 22/250 and the 50 gr. TTSX and nothing has gone over 30 feet. Double lung shots always.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Same one I would use if they weren’t.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 22250rem, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,575
Posts18,491,995
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.