Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by drover
I haven't shot anything in it besides CCI S/V which is an entry level ammo but it is generally a good ammo for its moderate cost.

I am seeing T-1X's priced at anywhere from $400 - $450 which is in the same ballpark as CZ 455. I am a wood and blued guy myself but I cannot fault anything about the way the T-1X feels and handles, and with the accuracy it is giving I am coming to like it better all of the time.

drover

Didn't you just sell off a T1x in .22 LR last Spring in the classifieds?

Last edited by jk16; 10/16/19.
GB1

D
drover Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I did - Certifiable bought it.
I have always been partial to wood and blued steel on my rifles and everytime I looked at the Tikka I almost gagged. They have an overly long fore-end, the buttstock is too short, and the magazine hangs down too far. I have gotten past the long fore-end and decided that it is just a different look, the buttstock length can be fixed with a buttpad from Beretta for $20 or if one want to go cheap a piece of flip-flop glued on would work just fine. As far as the magazine - I don't like the looks of the way it hangs down but the length gives a good grip for loading and when carrying the rifle there is just enough forward weight to the rifle that the barrel tips downward slightly and the magazine fits against the little finger and makes carrying it very comfortable. The bolt operation on them is amazing, it is just "snick-snick", very short and fast operation - the more I shoot it the more I appreciate it.

I only put 50 rounds of CCI S/V through the one I sold Certifable but in its limited testing it showed the potential for shooting every bit as good as this one, or even possibly a bit better, the only reason for selling it was that they are so darned ugly IMO that I couldn't get past that part of the rifle. Buying this one was a whim - I was in our local Ranch Supply store and they had them on sale with a good markdown, not only that but they had something else going on taking another 10% off the price of it. Being the 22 fan that I am I figured why not, if I didn't like it I could always sell it or give it to one of the grandkids.

I have owned a lot of high-end 22's, match rifles and custom sporters, through the years and this T-1 outshoots the great majority of them. The only other 22 I have owned that shoots as well as this one does is my Cooper 57M and believe me - it was a lot more money than the Tikka.

I have about 500 rounds through it now and it just keeps shooting better, groups keep tightening up and I am learning to like it for what it is and look past the fact that it does not have a wood stock.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Certifiables T1x is going to get shot quite a bit this weekend and I’m sure he will report back with results.

D
drover Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Do you still have ground squirrels up in your country or is just going to be shot on paper. We won't see anymore ground squirrels around here until mid-March of 2020, wish they were up all year long.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
drover-wow! Great groups and great rifle supported by some outstanding marksmanship! Thanks for actually posting your groups-picture is worth a thousand words. Again, wow!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Impressive, especially with random choice ammo.

Had my Ruger CSC and my 455 stainless out Tuesday. Nothing as good as these groups, but basically ragged hole 10-shots with SV and other CCI stuff. Wind was in and out, and I only paused during the worst of it, and no flags. Just got in a brick of Fed Hunter match to try, but I think I'm done buying this and that in hopes of a bargain or a miracle brand. CCI is dead reliable, and shoots about as well as I can hold in my rifles. Gonna burn up the oddball stuff in my handguns.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
drover Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D

I am very impressed with the Tikka T-1X, to me it is almost unbelieveable that an entry level, off the shelf rifle should shoot this well with no tweaks.

We have a bad weather system moving in but I did get out and play a bit more Wednesday afternoon, conditions were not as good as for the previous target but they were good enough for a limited test, days that are warm enough to do testing are about to come to end until next spring

I have some SK Rifle Match that shoots so well in my Cooper that I was reluctant to break into it but I figured I may as well sacrifice some of it for a comparison to the CCI S/V in the Tikka.

Targets left to right with 1 being the left side -
Group 1 - Five shots of CCI S/V for a comparison basis
Group 2 - Five shots of SK Rifle Match for conditioning the bore with SK lube
Group 3 - Five shots of SK Rifle Match for conditioning the bore with SK lube

Group 4 & 5 - I shot the groups of SK posted on the target posted below this one before coming back to this target to shoot these groups -
#4 - Five shot group of CCI S/V
#5 - Ten shot group of CCI C/V.
I do not do any bore condtioning when going from SK back to CCI S/V - looking at groups 4 & 5 the best groups were shot with CCI S/V in a bore fouled with SK lubricant. Hmmm! Interesting.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Group 1 & 2 - Five shots of SK Rifle Match
Group 3 & 4 - 10 shots of SK Rifle Match
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]image uploading

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

I am very impressed with the Tikka T-1X, to me it is almost unbelieveable that an entry level, off the shelf rifle should shoot this well with no tweaks.

We have a bad weather system moving in but I did get out and play a bit more Wednesday afternoon, conditions were not as good as for the previous target but they were good enough for a limited test, days that are warm enough to do testing are about to come to end until next spring

I have some SK Rifle Match that shoots so well in my Cooper that I was reluctant to break into it but I figured I may as well sacrifice some of it for a comparison to the CCI S/V in the Tikka.

Group 4 & 5 - I shot the groups of SK posted on the target posted below this one before coming back to this target to shoot these groups -
I do not do any bore condtioning when going from SK back to CCI S/V - looking at groups 4 & 5 the best groups were shot with CCI S/V in a bore fouled with SK lubricant. Hmmm! Interesting.

My 2016 vintage CZ 452 American will shoot 5 shot groups that tight at 50 yards with the SK Standard (mid .3s). I have never shot anything more expensive in it yet.

I figure any $400 6 pound sporter that can outshoot my mint 10lb 1940 Winchester 52 Bullgun with a T-16 Weaver onboard is probably worth keeping around. It looks like your Plastikka will do the same. smile

Good shooting.

Last edited by jk16; 10/18/19.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

dude that thing is outstanding

Dont eat the big white mint!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
drover-once again, wow! CCI SV are what? $2.99/box. Regardless of ammo, that's some fine shooting, and thanks posting pics of your groups-plural smile

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Nice groups from the rifle and shooter. And a plus for being able to do it with moderately priced ammo.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
"Try to take my guns and I will shoot you."
D
drover Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for the nice comments about the shooting, they are appreciated but in fairness I have to give a lot of credit to the Tikka T1-X. It is one of the easiest to shoot sporter weight rifles I have ever owned and in thinking about it there are some things about it that make it easy to shoot. It has a semi-flat fore-end rather than the more rounded one on most sporters which rides the bags more securely with no cant or roll. The trigger is amazingly consistent in pull weight and is very crisp, I have set it at 18 ounces and it is always within a 1/2 ounce on my Lyman Electronic Gauge A real plus is that whether the gun is cold or hot or the barrel is fouled or clean it puts the first shot into the group - I have had very few rimfires that do this, most of them will throw the first shot out a bit, not always a lot but usually just enough to spoil the first group. I have no idea if all of the T-1's are like this one or if I got the "one in a thousand" but I sure am happy with it.
They may be ugly but "pretty is as pretty does" and that it will shoot $2.99 per box into groups like this consistently makes it even better, the SK Match I tried groups only slightly smaller at three times the cost of the CCI S/V. I will try some other higher end match ammo if I catch some warmer days but I doubt that I will spend much time doing so because at this point I really don't see much reason to - after all it is a sporter rifle for plinking and ground squirrels, it will surely do all I will ever ask of it.

The only other sporter 22 rimfire I have that will outshoot the Tikka T-1 is my Cooper Jackson Hunter which should outshoot it at four times the MSRP and it requires higher dollar ammo to do it.
Here is a picture of five 5-shot groups at 50 yards from it, unfortuantely I am out of this ammo - wish I had bought a couple of case of it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The guy behind the trigger knows what he's doing...for sure!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the nice comments about the shooting, they are appreciated but in fairness I have to give a lot of credit to the Tikka T1-X. It is one of the easiest to shoot sporter weight rifles I have ever owned and in thinking about it there are some things about it that make it easy to shoot. It has a semi-flat fore-end rather than the more rounded one on most sporters which rides the bags more securely with no cant or roll. The trigger is amazingly consistent in pull weight and is very crisp, I have set it at 18 ounces and it is always within a 1/2 ounce on my Lyman Electronic Gauge A real plus is that whether the gun is cold or hot or the barrel is fouled or clean it puts the first shot into the group - I have had very few rimfires that do this, most of them will throw the first shot out a bit, not always a lot but usually just enough to spoil the first group. I have no idea if all of the T-1's are like this one or if I got the "one in a thousand" but I sure am happy with it.
They may be ugly but "pretty is as pretty does" and that it will shoot $2.99 per box into groups like this consistently makes it even better, the SK Match I tried groups only slightly smaller at three times the cost of the CCI S/V. I will try some other higher end match ammo if I catch some warmer days but I doubt that I will spend much time doing so because at this point I really don't see much reason to - after all it is a sporter rifle for plinking and ground squirrels, it will surely do all I will ever ask of it.

The only other sporter 22 rimfire I have that will outshoot the Tikka T-1 is my Cooper Jackson Hunter which should outshoot it at four times the MSRP and it requires higher dollar ammo to do it.
Here is a picture of five 5-shot groups at 50 yards from it, unfortuantely I am out of this ammo - wish I had bought a couple of case of it.

What optic are you using on this rifle?

D
drover Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
On the Cooper Jackson Hunter I am using a Leupold VX-2, 3-9x40 Fine Duplex, mounted in Burris Signature Zee rings on Warne bases.
On the Tikka T-1 I am also using a Leupold VX-2, 3-9x40 Fine Duplex, mounted in Weaver rimfire rings.
Both scopes track perferfectly and have never given an issue - contrary to what one would expect from reading about Leupolds in the optics forum.

I have shot a ton of ground squirrels with the Cooper and am anxious for spring to come so I can try out the Tikka on them.

drover

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
On the Cooper Jackson Hunter I am using a Leupold VX-2, 3-9x40 Fine Duplex, mounted in Burris Signature Zee rings on Warne bases.
On the Tikka T-1 I am also using a Leupold VX-2, 3-9x40 Fine Duplex, mounted in Weaver rimfire rings.
Both scopes track perferfectly and have never given an issue - contrary to what one would expect from reading about Leupolds in the optics forum.

I have shot a ton of ground squirrels with the Cooper and am anxious for spring to come so I can try out the Tikka on them.

drover

That Cooper is one sweet looking rifle!!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I was set on a CZ 457 training rifle but you guys have my attention with these t1x posts. I have a pillar bedded Tikka Hunter stock I bought on here a short while back. I want to verify I can swap it over on the rimfire.

“Lighten up Francis”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
WAAAY out of the OP's league, but I shot mine against my Anschutz 1407R today, side by side comparison. Same Ammo in the same order, same rest, etc...
50yds in a slight mist, 50°, wobbly wood bench, old orange hoppes front rest with protector bag, sand bags rear. All groups shot suppressed through a silencerco sparrow.

1) Tikka T1X all factory, out of the box today, mountain tactical 20° rail, SWFA 6x MQ in SWFA rings, didn't adjust trigger yet, but I'm guessing 2-2.5lbs?
2) Anschutz/chesebro 1407R, trigger in the oz.'s, DIP rail, SWFA 12x MQ in SWFA rings.
Edge went to the Anschutz but not by a huge margin, as it should since it has 4x the price tag, 4x less trigger pull and 2x the x's in the scope. I'd say adjusting the trigger on the Tikka and putting a 10x SS I have it'll damn near hang with it. Can't wait to see. The Anschutz shoots at it's best with Eley match EPS but I didn't have any with me. The Lapua Midas L is pretty close though.

The set up.

The targets.

Last edited by jackmountain; 10/20/19.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I left my T1 in 17hmr at home because I cannibalized the base/scope/rings off it to try it's little brother out. Rail coming this week so I'll post pics of some groups with it next week. It shot some 10 shot 7/8" groups at 100yds though. Didn't shoot it at 50 but will just for comparison.

For the price it's an absolute no brainer. Action is slick, feeds, ejects, magazine operates flawlessly, ergos on the stock fit great, threaded muzzle.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great shooting Drover. Thanks for the report.

Jason

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 16gage, 1234, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,429
Posts18,470,760
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.