-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Deer slugs make sounds like holding something against a spinning fan blade when they are coming at you.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nighthawk, I think shootem's explanation and analogy is pretty good for the possibility of near-zero pressure in the barrel after bullet exit. (I've also seen a grundle of pressure traces, some of which I made myself while pressure testing, but all the graphs I've seen have the bottom axis at zero. Nothing below that to show even a nanosecond of trace.) Be that as it may, the inrush of gas - if there is one - is not the source for muzzle blast.

The Army is wrong, too. Or at least leaves out one significant factor. The causes of muzzle blast (in my opinion) are:

The outrush of air ahead of the bullet (minor but there)

The rapid expansion of propellant gasses at/after bullet exit (the major cause) Analogy, a balloon popping.

The explosive ignition of incandescent but unburnt propellant gasses upon mixing with atmospheric oxygen (also major) - and also the cause of muzzle flash This is the one most often ignored but it is significant. Analogy, a propane explosion.

The supersonic shock wave(s) created by the bullet and other ejecta.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have long suspected that the acoustic form of muzzle blast has quite a lot to do with the velocity of gas leaving the muzzle as well as volume. Much of it is supersonic and forms its own shockwaves.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Years ago, someone fired a 22 round that went over my head. I could hear it as it went over. That's a pretty slow moving bullet, though. A large cal. hunting bullet is moving at more than double the speed of sound. You certainly won't hear the shot but I don't know about the sound it makes in the air.

Something similar happened to me several years ago. i will never forget the cracking sound, the scariest moment of my life.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by vapodog
the real cause of the BANG,) is the sound air makes when it re-enters the barrel which has just created a near-perfect vacuum.

Any you bought that?

lol, well for a few decades I did. but learning a lot here today.

Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
It's true that there is - very briefly - a moment of sub-ambient pressure in the barrel after the expanding gasses leave. I would not describe it as a "near perfect vacuum" but for a millisecond or so, there can be a partial vacuum, simply because virtually all the gasses produced have rushed out. The air rushing back in would create a small sound wave - but that is most definitely not the source of the BANG.

I agree.

OK, you guys are gently tearing me apart here, but I DO prefer being corrected by friends than enemies.
smile

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Muzzle report.
Think firecracker, confined gas rapid expansion,,,bang

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I heard the one that hit me. It bounced off. Soooo..... either I'm bullet proof or it was buzzing my direction pretty slow. Sounded like a pissed off bumble bee

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm always gentle with kids, LOL!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You may hear a noise as it goes by you, but if your the target you will not hear it because the bullet is moving faster than sound.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
You may hear a noise as it goes by you, but if your the target you will not hear it because the bullet is moving faster than sound.

Even subsonic rounds will probably kill you.

By the time you realize what that sound is... or wonder what that sound is... Whap!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
There is a you tube video of a guy shooting a 50 cal at the range and a ricochet that came back at him and knocked his hat off.
You could hear that coming and it sounded wicked.
I’m sure it was tumbling.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
That's an area of expertise I have WAY more of then I'd like.

The simple answer is yes, you can hear sub-sonic projectiles coming ...but not for a long enough time to move .........and No ---the super sonic rounds hit or pass you before the sound gets to you.
The sonic crack of a round going by means just that. it's gone by. If you hear them. they missed you.

If the bullet misses you and hits something near you the sound you hear is the hit. But if you hear that the bullet itself it already missed.

Sometime you get hit with "splash" from the impact of the round hitting, and that seems like you hear the sound, but it's not actually the bullet that you hear. It's the crack of it's impact. I have been hit 2 times that way.

Last edited by szihn; 10/19/19.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Circa '72, while doing farm chores, I heard what I first thought was mourning doves passing over, then I heard the bang,bang, bang, bang, bang, bang of a half dozen shots.

It was a jackass juvenile delinquent from the neighboring property and his older brother in law with a semi-auto 22 lr deliberately firing in my direction as I was in full view. They were about 400 yds away from me.

Oh yes, I definitely heard the bullets pass over head. And the sound was very similar to dove wings passing closely over head.

As to the two miscreants, after they became adults each was eventually sent to prison for felony assault.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Many years ago I was sitting in caribou camp with a buddy. High alpine with no cover. Five bullets flew over our heads and bounced off the ground about 20 feet from us. You could hear them before they hit. Never heard the shots, so probably a considerable distance away. There were several wooded draws a ways away, probably someone blazing away at caribou above them with no idea where the rounds were going. Not much we could do except hit the deck and wait for it to be done.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
when a bullet passes you, you will hear a crack like a whip cracking.. if it hits you ,,you will not hear anything.. if it is going slow you will hear a swishing sound... if it is tumbling it will sound like the old western movie gunshots with a buzzing sound.... I was in nam and heard them all and came home.. HHAHA.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Used to see the muzzle flash before I heard them. Some days mebbe even cussed before I heard them. Sometimes I never heard them 'cause the gunners were shooting back already. I wonder if the dinks heard ours? Well, not really....

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Heard em going past plenty of times.
Snaps, cracks, whizz .....
Then ya hear the bang if far enough away.
And like Digital Dan said you see muzzle flash beforehand sometimes.
Whats even more freaky is hearing motars then seeing em arc in around you.
Motars are slow as fugg in flight on a high arc.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was at deer camp one year and heard someone shooting a .22 up the gravel road. Stepped out to look down the road and saw 2 dogs run across heading into the pasture. About that time a .22 round went tumbling by about waist high and a foot in front of me. Still remember the sound. Guy up the road was shooting at the dogs because they were chasing deer. Never heard the rifle report on that shot though.

We pray our sights be straight
and our aim be true
We pray for no pain
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by pheasant665
Suppose this person is extremely perceptive, but still a normal person, no spidey sense. No Jason Bourne-like abilities either. So, heightened-but-within-the-realistic-bracket senses. How realistic is it for him or her to hear a faint ..something that alerts him of the danger? Hollywood movies show bullets speeding at you with a buzzing sound, but we all know Hollywood is to realism what North Korea is to democracy. So I'd like to hear what people who are more knowledgeable than me has to say of this issue.

Not just no but hell no

Not just chit but bullchit! Sure as hell can under the right circumstances.

I guess that's a guess since I've not bit hit.....

Catching them with chopsticks is entirely another matter. And people can not out jump ibex either.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 10/19/19.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You can hear bullets, but not the super coming at you. I doubt even subs coming at you. I would suspect we only hear rounds that have passed by us.

You can surely hear arrows in flight too. Causes animals to duck like crazy as the arrow is coming. Way slower than speed of sound. Makes archery tough at times knowing the animal can get out of the way of the arrow before it arrives.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 10Glocks, 42 invisible), 2,291 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,209
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.