Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't look forward to it but sometimes there is not much choice. I was drawn for a highly restricted munitions plant on an archery hunt one time that was either hunt it that one day or not get to hunt it at all. It set in raining early and piss poured most of the day. I slipped up on a nice buck that was bedded and made a decent shot on it, but ended up losing it due to the rain washing away any blood when it hit a power line opening. I didn't have a choice but to push it.

A light drizzle doesn't make much difference to the deer as far as feeding and browsing that I can tell. Let the rain set in hard and the deer will most likely lay down, at least that has been my experience. If I am gonna stick it out during a steady down pour I will be on the ground slipping looking for deer laying down. If your prepared for it can still be a lot of fun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A light drizzle or light snow fall is great for hunting because it is harder for them to hear and the woods are quieter. I notice that after the storm passes they will be out moving around. I think most people just do not hunt when it is raining or snowing. Here in Colorado I see more snow than rain.

Last edited by mtnsnake; 10/19/19.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I've taken deer in the rain, no big bucks though. An indian guide who hunted the neighbors property hunted all day rain or shine, he always got his deer no matter the conditions he just hunkered down up against the tree. I agree it is easier to move about in rain soaked woods without making noise and the deer can't hear any noise you do make because of the rain, they're less spooky in the rain too.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Steady rain is highly subjective. In Yakutat AK it'd meant something like torrents for two weeks. In Montana, omg, it's been raining for like 5 hours! In western Oregon it would matter most if it hadn't been raining for a while then did, heavy. But, after awhile, they'll just do what they gotta do.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
At a minimum, one can use rain to their advantage in that it'll often keep deer feeding longer in the AM and get them on their feet earlier in the PM. If you can be in place and undetected when the rain stops, that's the best use of rainy weather IMO/IME.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Nothing more fun than sneaking on them in the rain.

Shot one last year still hunting in the rain. I think the shot was about 25 yards. He popped up, but it was too late.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by HawkI

Shot one last year still hunting in the rain. I think the shot was about 25 yards. He popped up, but it was too late.

That's the stuff. Whitetail?

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My dad and grandpa claimed the blacktails held tight in the heavy rain cause they couldn't tell where the cougars were.

--- Kid Rock 2022

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by HawkI

This^^^^. Easing through the woods in warm, quite wool a step or two at a time is the greatest.

Stalking during fairly strong wind after its blown a while and they have to feed is a good time to get a shot also but not as enjoyable.

Both conditions reduce their ability to hear and smell you and wind causes movement that yours blends in with. They get tired of jumping at every little thing.

Last edited by jaguartx; 10/19/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yep.

It's a yarding area/flat I try to put the sneak on every year.
The problem is lots of oak leaves and two pretty steep hills. Sometimes there's several sets of eyes. I usually end up with a doe on that hill.

When the ground is soft, it helps, but when its constant rain, you can still hunt right up to them.

IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Good luck this year, Hawk.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Oregon... you get to where you don't even notice it...

funny to see deer bed down in the yard after eating acorns, when its pouring down rain..

they just lay out there like its a nice 80 degree sunny day....

if it don't bother them.... then if the hunter wants to be where they are, it shouldn't bother him...

I try to stay dry and don't move a lot, as the deer will be....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Thanks, man! You too.

Constant rain really only bugged me one year.

It was a day of downpour freezing ran.

We still had no legal use of rifles yet, so it was the Beretta Pintail slug gun (auto).

Everything metal froze when it hit. I had my hand over that action all day and managed two deer. Everyone else that had autochuckers had malfunctions that day, except yours truly! Most of the guns did go bang once and we all tagged out.

Only time I've seen a road maintainer slide off the road crown into the ditch!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Best weather for hunting blacktail bucks outside the rut and in the woods, heavy downpour. Your best chance to see them before they hear you. And after it quits, they're on the move, maybe.

Nailed it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's been a long deer hunting run - a lot in the SW where rain is not as likely in the Fall, but sure have done so in heavy snow a few times - and more so with elk. Always have treasured the hunting days and weather is simply something to deal with. But, it can become messy while getting to the prize.

I agree with the person who said heavy rain and right thereafter is good buck hunting time. I learned that when living up in the Pacific Northwest and for a while in Maryland. I don't like being wet and cold any more than any other hunters, but it's what a guy has to do that day and those conditions have yielded some nice deer.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Steady rain is highly subjective. In Yakutat AK it'd meant something like torrents for two weeks. In Montana, omg, it's been raining for like 5 hours! In western Oregon it would matter most if it hadn't been raining for a while then did, heavy. But, after awhile, they'll just do what they gotta do.

Here ten points will win the sobriquet of "deluge".

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Used to have to hunt when I could get off, rain or shine. Now I can be a bit pickier. Still, I think hunting in a steady drizzle or even light rain is very effective. Rain and wind together are the pits.

Don't have "rain gear" per se, but I do have a couple of waterproof coats that keep me dry and warm. Wool is good too in light rain. The problem I've had is that pants that aren't waterproof channel water down my legs into my waterproof boots (no, I don't tuck them in).

When stand hunting, aloft or on the ground, one of the tree umbrellas is great to have if there's no wind. Even a pretty hard rain can be bearable with one of those.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
30+ years, never shot one in the rain. Don't recall ever seeing one either. Afterward nice quiet walking of course for sneaking about.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My favorite time to hunt, especially a cold rainy day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wreckster84
This is my first thread here on 24HrCF. I've read a lot of good posts and there seems to be a wealth of knowledge on this forum. Looking forward to contributing where possible.

I decided at the last minute to head to the deer woods this afternoon despite a steady rain, fully expecting it to lighten up towards late afternoon. Nevertheless, I went in full rain gear and brought the stainless Mini-30 with Hogue stock along. I have to say I've never hunted in a steady rain and after 45 minutes I was thinking twice about whether to stay. Stood another 1/2 hour and started to get packed up when out of the corner of my eye appears a medium size doe. I froze, she froze, and we watched each other for a bit. After about five minutes I looked away to see if any others were joining her and brushed against the tree... off she went through the heavy brush like it wasn't even there.

Even though I would typically not hunt in steady rain, just wondering how many here have seen and killed decent bucks during bad weather?

I have seen and killed the most deer right after the rain ends and it statrs to clear up. Deer bed down to keep dry, then go to feed as soon as it clears up as I've observed.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (16penny, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1234, 01Foreman400, 54 invisible), 2,088 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,021
Posts18,481,659
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.