Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Originally Posted by Girlhunter
Horrific scope for offhand hunting.

No doubt the deer I shot this fall agree with you wink Nor does the caribou, but I admit that was prone off a pack.

So in short, not a 1 second shot, thanks for proving my point. God knows how skittish those Sitka's are.

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I picked up one of these on the Black Friday sale, and can't understand this thing about eye relief. I don't have it mounted yet, but playing around with it looking across the street at objects 500 yards away, the eye relief seems fine. So far the glass seems fine up to 8x. past that to 10x, the picture gets a slight bit distorted, but still usable.

I think I am going to mount this on my 6.8 AR and move the VX3 2.5-8 from it over to a Ruger #1 in 338wm. I really don't anticipate any problems using this scope off hand, which about half of my shots are.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Girlhunter obviously has a lot of experience with this scope. Tell us more.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by 257heaven

He’s probably going to be picking up his FIL at the airport any day now and can tell us all about it.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
In my experience, most hunters have no clue about the actual eye relief of any of their scopes--or how to measure it, and thus how it might matter one way or another.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Anyone have experience with this scope other than being hateful? I mounted one on my brothers rifle but no experience as of yet.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought one on sale a couple of weeks ago and put on my Fieldcraft 6.5X55 and never gave the eye relief a second thought. Not a big kicker, but fair recoil in a very light rifle. I didn't even know there was a problem with eye relief until I read this.So far I like it, tracks great and appears to have decent glass. Shot about 25 @ 10X off the bench and didn't need one band aid! Nice scope Waiting for the next sale to get a couple more.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Switch
I bought one on sale a couple of weeks ago and put on my Fieldcraft 6.5X55 and never gave the eye relief a second thought. Not a big kicker, but fair recoil in a very light rifle. I didn't even know there was a problem with eye relief until I read this.So far I like it, tracks great and appears to have decent glass. Shot about 25 @ 10X off the bench and didn't need one band aid! Nice scope Waiting for the next sale to get a couple more.

👍

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Anyone have experience with this scope other than being hateful? I mounted one on my brothers rifle but no experience as of yet.

Yes. On a 6x45 (shown) and a 25-204. I like them....even when shooting offhand, LOL. Mine are both duplex. I would NOT use them on a heavy kicker.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

You seem more than happy with rifle you bought off me.

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
In my experience, most hunters have no clue about the actual eye relief of any of their scopes--or how to measure it, and thus how it might matter one way or another.

Do you need to know Pythagorean's theorem to know your ladder is too short to reach the roof?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

John, you've had good things to say about this one and also the Burris FF II 3-9x40. Other than the few extra ounces the Burris weighs, is there a compelling reason to choose this one over the FF, or is too early to say?

Thanks.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

John, I hope you don't get frustrated with the questions I often ask you, but when I think I can learn, I get inquisitive. Let's take this hunter for example.

I tend to stay further back on the stock than most people I know. Right or wrong, that's my position of comfort. In order to be where I like to be, rather than craning in, it takes a scope with what I call good eye relief. Something in Redfield Revolution/Leupold VX-2 range. Those scopes have an advertised 4+ inches of eye relief. I switch over to guns with scopes closer to the 3 inch range and I have to crane forward to get the right picture. In my layman's terms the scopes with greater eye relief are easier to get behind and I am further back on my stock where I prefer to be when I get the picture I want. If it matters, most of my scopes are positioned as far back in the mounts as possible.

Am I missing something?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Girlhunter

You seem more than happy with rifle you bought off me.

Yes! Love the rifle.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I mounted mine on a CZ 527 today. I'm one of those guys who has to mount scopes somewhat further back than most, so I started with the turret yoke almost against the back ring. Turned it up to 10x and find that there is plenty of eye relief, I actually can move the scope forward a bit and still be comfortable. Life is good.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The other nice thing is that since the ocular is small, there is over 1/4" clearance between it and the bolt handle, once DIP gets their LH rails back in stock I'll order one and get it a bit lower a la Dirtfarmer.

Merry Christmas, y'all.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (1lessdog, 160user, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 2500HD, 67 invisible), 2,129 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,835
Posts18,496,745
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.