Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JMR40
There are far, far more people who walk into the emergency rooms driven there by private vehicle than brought in by emergency vehicle. There will be 20-30 people in the waiting room for every one arriving by ambulance.

Mostly Mexicans in the waiting room.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Had a Uncle drove himself to ER. He told them he didn't know all he should know about what was going on? They put him in intensive care. He was having a stroke.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
multiple surgeries later, yep. never had to do the E-room for myself though. others a few times. kids, drunk friends, etc.

My diploma is a DD214
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Yes, 8 1/2 weeks ago I walked into an emergency room with chest pain. On vacation away from home naturally. 3 days later I had open heart surgery, double bypass. 8 days later my daughter drove me 600 miles home, quite an experience. Not one I want to relive,Thanks to God I am doing well now

1st John 4:7-8
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Rode the Ambulance once when I had my heatstroke about 20 years ago.
As I was coming to during the ride, I heard the EMT say “he has no pulse and no blood pressure” 😬

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Originally Posted by JMR40
There are far, far more people who walk into the emergency rooms driven there by private vehicle than brought in by emergency vehicle. There will be 20-30 people in the waiting room for every one arriving by ambulance.

Mostly Mexicans in the waiting room.

Yep. Mostly fuggin wetbacks here. You can’t get in to see a Dr. unless your dying 😡

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by dale06
Took my wife twice, both times we came home couple days later with a baby.

I'd quit going to the hospital then!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Several years ago I caught some flu-thing and in 5 hours went from feeling fine to having fluid coming out of every orifice at high speed. My wife's and RN, took one look at me on the throne with the bucket and said going to the ER. All I could muster was OK. Told her to slow down and quit hitting every bump on the way or I was going to have stuff running down my leg.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I got all jacked up with back cramps a couple of years ago and couldn't get out of the bed. My wife got tired of listening to me holler and called an ambulance. I couldn't make it to the car to be driven,...and even if I had,..I couldn't sit down in it and get back up.

I was hurting bad,...bad like *BAD!*,..but I knew it wasn't going to kill me.

I told the ambulance driver that he didn't need to take any chances getting me to the hospital.

So yeah,....I've been taken to the hospital and it wasn't rushed.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The cemetery is full of people who should have been rushed to the hospital. At least once a week someone would drive to my firehouse with a relative circling the drain pleading for a quick ride to the hospital. The trick is knowing what is serious and what isn’t. Most civilians unfortunately don’t know.

Last edited by Mike_S; 10/20/19.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
After hurricane Katrina i was working on my Grandfather's house on the bedroom closet.

Had the frame on the floor when the nail gun had a hangfire and did a double tap into my index and middle finger on the left hand.

Well i tried to pull them out myself but the glue had a hold on me.

Knowing i had about 35 minutes or so before they really went to hurting i went to the Red Cross station not far from the house.

Thought several of the ladies were going to faint.
Everyone kept asking about the pain.

Well i got in my truck and drove down to the hospital and they were so worried about me making it one of the folks there followed me.

When the girl at the desk asked how she could help me i asked for nail removal,thought she was going to faint.
She went and got the DR. and i tried to get him to get them out but not cut my deerskin gloves off,they were brand new.

Had fun the whole time there.

The next day i was back at work on the house.

With a different nail gun.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
After getting routed to a voice mailbox TWICE by the same operator whose job it was to monitor a chest pain hotline, I decided to take myself to the closest hospital. I locked the doors of my shop, drove about 10 miles at a normal rate of speed, cruised around the lot until I found a parking space, and walked into the ER. 30 minutes later I was in the cath lab getting a stent! Thar "bite of hot chili" it felt like I couldn't swallow was actually a blocked coronary artery. The car I was driving that day is parked out in the hayfield, and the half pack of Winston Lights I put in the console before entering the hospital is still there- - - - - -that was almost 25 years ago. If I ever feel like I REALLY need another smoke, I know right where to look!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
About 6 years ago i had a regular appointment with my Doc.

Drove myself there.

When they were taking blood pressure/heart rate/oxygen lvls,they thought 4 of their machines were faulty.

Seems that i was having a heart attack they called SVT.

Didn't hurt but it felt like i was running a long race and losing.

They put me in a wheel chair and would not let me walk to the hospital even it was only a short walk down the connected hallway.
I told them that i drove myself but no go.
Stayed there from 8.30 to about 7.00 that evening.

What a day.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Several times. A knock on the head, wife drove me. Busted foot motocross racing, scheduled ankle, two knee scopes a knee replacement, the wife drove me every time.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
[color:#FFFFFF][/color]Guesstimating back over 33 years in the fire/EMS field we probably averaged around 1600 patients year out of the stationed I worked. Of that, maybe 2-3 per week were taken to hospital on the red lights and sirens. All the rest were driven in as if going to the store for milk and bread. A good 85% of the calls EMS go on do not require an ambulance ride, one will do just as well in the family sedan. That is the nature of sickness and injury- very little is life threatening but people ave been scared into believing anything out of the ordinary is going to kill not only them but the next three generations forward and back.

I've been to the ER several times, all but three I drove myself. One of those times I probably should not have drove but it worked out. I've gone in twice by ambulance, only once was necessary, the other was to cover my employer's liability. The first was indeed an emergency, I would have bled out if not on red lights and siren. The other I was driven normally feeling it was a waste of a $2000+ on a taxi ride.

Last edited by woodmaster81; 10/21/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very few things that I would want an ambulance called for me. I can be to the emergency room long before the ambulance (or Police) gets to my house. One of the things about living in the country. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had to have a buddy drive me 275 miles from the deer lease on a Friday to get home. My fiance then took me to the ER where I sat and sat and sat. Finally, she went up to the intake clerk and told her I was having chest pains. I wasn't, but I didn't know she said that. Next thing I know they are wheeling me into a triage room and hooking me up to an EKG. I tried to tell them there wasn't a damn thing wrong with my heart, that the pain was much lower but they didn't care. Finally, they ran some more tests and figured out my gall bladder was fugged up and gangrenous. They said the surgeon would be in first thing in the morning and they were gonna take it out. Fuggin surgeon didn't even show up until about 3 PM Saturday. He said it was a good thing I decided to come back because I might not have made it had I waited.

I hear our dispatch sending out EMS all the time for stupid schitt like a headache, a back ache, and other minor crap. People need to drive themselves unless its and emeergency.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Probably most go to the hospital as elective--surgeries, various studies, treatments.

Retired cat herder.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have gone to a hospital for diagnostic tests and procedures where I I had an appointment. Maybe where I waited a week or two.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
my kid had cellulitis from an abrasion on her knee when she was at a HS event 150 miles from home, had been stewing for two days by the time we got there.

I took one look at it and drove directy to the ED nearest home, after IV rx and surgery she got out after 4-5 days, and was lucky it wasn't a MRSA strain

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,934 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,735
Posts18,494,938
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.