Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by AB2506
Minority Liberal government.

Some parts of this country just never learn.

It might be worth an explanation for those south of your border not familiar with the parliamentarian form of government about what a "minority government" is for you. It does not mean Obama and his sons take over (yet)

hatari;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day in Atlanta is treating you well thus far.

While I'm no expert on such matters, I'll do my best to deliver a quick layman's explanation of a minority government.

For a party to win a majority they would need to get more than half of the 336 total seats in the parliament. Because we had 5 parties running nationally and another 6th party in Quebec, it's not a matter of either or as it appears to be in the US for the most part.

When any bill is sent through the legislature, if it doesn't pass, the government loses it's mandate to run the country and we start all over again.

Since the Trudeau Liberals lost a lot of ground this time, electing 155 seats - many of them through very, very slim margins - they will have to partner with members of other parties to get the legislation through.

Interestingly I'll note that the Conservatives had 34.4% of the popular vote as opposed to the Liberals slipping down to 33.1% this time around.

There is, as noted by previous posters already a giant chasm in representation as well, with ZERO Liberals being elected west of Ontario other than some in the Lower Mainland/Greater Vanocouver area. So if you good folks think you've got a monopoly on division within your country, please note we're doing our best to show the another shining example!

Lastly, as noted by myself and other members here, the foreign interference this time was the most blatant I can recall in nearly 40 years of paying attention to such matters. Thus far I will note, there's been no one claiming it was Russian involvement, but then it's still early days I suppose....

Anyway sir, hopefully that all made some sense and was useful.

All the best to you in your remaining hunts this fall.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 10/22/19. Reason: didn't notice the Liberal seats in Vancouver

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Many thanks, Dwayne.

I suppose it is a good sign that the Libs lost seats. Until yesterday I didn't know they had the UN girl parading around as a campaign tool. Year ago, living near Detroit I would get a better sense of what was going on in Canada because we got TV out of Windsor. That was years ago. Down south here there is no news about about Canada. As a matter of fact, without the 'Fire I wouldn't have known there was an election in your country.

I'm disappointed but not suprised that Obama had to give his 2 cents worth, as if his endorsement carries any weight. I note he piped up about the French election too. Guessing his message is "vote for who I endorse and I absolve you from racism".

Best of luck to you and all the good people up North.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I'd say Canada is a lot like this country, in that there is a huge split between rural and urban voters.

It's not just a rural urban split, but a regional one as well, with the Liberals having very little support west of Manitoba. I see the Western separatist party is having a field day today. I can see their point this morning.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I'd say Canada is a lot like this country, in that there is a huge split between rural and urban voters.

Very true and very telling in many manners of life here.

Lynn

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Canada is much like America, except America has the Electoral College. Were it not for that, the liberal urban dwellers would have subdued the rural heathens years ago.

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"When any bill is sent through the legislature, if it doesn't pass, the government loses it's mandate to run the country and we start all over again."

Well that explains a lot. I had no idea, thank you Dwayne.

I think the heathens are in the urban this time around.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Justin Trudeau, Canada's first black prime minister.

AKA Prime Minstrel.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
If Trudeau had any balls, he'd give his victory speech in blackface.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks guys! I've received quite an education reading this thread.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good to see Trudeau weakened, but I think he'll shift Left to placate the NDPs and the PQs. Which will make it tougher on the Canadian West. I've still got a 1970s "Republic of Western Canada" hat in my collection, I guess I'll get it out in mourning.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Liberals seem to have a way of lying and murdering their way to the top, the law, morality and decency be damned.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As Dwayne explained very well our system isn't just A and B so it gets a little weird at times. Liberals had a majority last time around and that is bad ju ju. They had more than half the total seats, so they happily vote whatever they come up with in as they have the numbers. Its quite a bit closer this time here's the numbers.

Liberal - 157

Conservative - 121

Bloc Quebecois - 32

NDP - 24

Green - 3

Independent - 1

People's party - 0

Other - 0

They still have too many seats but at least it moved in the right direction. And as also pointed out a lot of their victories are razor thin and in around the 30% margin with even splits to 3 or more parties. So long story short, not a great time for them to get too ballsy with their pixy dust and unicorn ideals and much smarter to stick with mainstream issues that won't rock the boat too much and ones they can easily get support from other parties to pass it. That's what's normally happened in the past at least, time will tell. Of course they could court the lefty NDP and Green party to appease them/prop up lefty ideas but again, in a minority big controversy doesn't usually bode well for them next election time and they know that. There's my optimistic take on it anyways..

Last edited by Salty303; 10/22/19.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
With due apologies to all the good Canadians , the founding fathers of the Untied States knew the parliamentary from of government well, and gave the US our system.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Pros and cons to both systems, for sure. Beauty of a minority government is they have to co-operate to survive. Usually means sticking to what the average Canadian might find tolerable. They can't talk amongst themselves and give birth to stupid legislation, like Salty303 said. Historically the bills passed by minority governments have been solid. It seems they remember they work for us and not so much for corporations and NGO's.

Life expectancy for a minority government is about two years. Woe betide the party that pushes us back to the voting booth.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by Bristoe
If Trudeau had any balls, he'd give his victory speech in blackface.

I might actually gain a shred of respect for him if he did that lol

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 22 invisible), 1,690 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,973
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.