Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Hunt near swamps. People hate 'em, deer love 'em.

Like button

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As late as the season is this year, bucks may have laid up a bit already and without the yellow acorns from the 4-wheeler brigade, they'll need to be on their feet more than normal.
Transition edges and beaver pond edges is where I like to focus. If there's been any restorative grouse management activity, that's another good place to poke and prod as that's about the only sort of cutting that seems to be done in the NF.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The Hunt Wisconsin app from DNR has a feature for grouse hunters that shows the aspen stands that are 5-20 yrs old on state and county land. The same information can be found on DNR website under the FFLIGHT program

Those spots would be on my list for exploration

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Hunt scrapes if you can find them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco

WWP53D
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes, in my experience, good grouse habitat is also good deer habitat. Anything over about four feet tall is getting pretty worthless to deer and that was my issue hunting poplar (aspin) regenerating areas after logging operations up in Marinette County because they grew up so quickly. The cover was still there, but the visibility was really limiting. A buddy took a nice 8 out from a very high tree perch in front of another hunter walking through that never realized that the deer or my buddy was there.

Yes, scrapes and rubs are about the best indicators that you are onto an area with at least one buck. A darn good indicator of the size of the buck that made it too. Big bucks might rub small stuff, but small bucks don't rub big stuff.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
My experience here (northern Maine) regarding scrapes is....they make them never to return. Too big of an area and too few does. They roam and roam and roam.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Windfall
Yes, in my experience, good grouse habitat is also good deer habitat. Anything over about four feet tall is getting pretty worthless to deer and that was my issue hunting poplar (aspin) regenerating areas after logging operations up in Marinette County because they grew up so quickly. The cover was still there, but the visibility was really limiting. A buddy took a nice 8 out from a very high tree perch in front of another hunter walking through that never realized that the deer or my buddy was there.

Yes, scrapes and rubs are about the best indicators that you are onto an area with at least one buck. A darn good indicator of the size of the buck that made it too. Big bucks might rub small stuff, but small bucks don't rub big stuff.

What I"ve seen, small bucks do rub big trees. They are attracted to the scent deposited and rub them regardless the size.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A darn good indicator of the size of the buck that made it too. Big bucks might rub small stuff, but small bucks don't rub big stuff.

I posted this last year. blush

Originally Posted by SKane

This one should help dispel a myth – watched a 1.5 y/o toy buck do this:

WWP53D
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My late FIL watched a fork horn make a rub like that in Ashland Co, WI about 10 years ago.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Posting these for windfall:

WWP53D
S
S
Used to hunt the forests in NY and scouting out a southern NF is a whole nother animal. It's all swamp

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yes, in my experience, good grouse habitat is also good deer habitat. .

I would agree with you. Swamp edges, tag alders, popple regrowth...all good for both!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

laugh hahaa

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I hunted the family hunting camp property and was the top dog in terms of taking game...
BUT Grandpa taught me where to sit based on game patterns they learned 40 years earlier.
Then I joined the Military and started hunting public land...
It took me 5+ years to figure it out - mostly I got my head right when I wasn’t seeing deer and game and wanted to get back to where I was on my own land.

Here is what I learned...

SCOUT, SCOUT, SCOUT,....

1) Walk the edge of every field edge, and Creek and look for deer runs, then walk the runs end to end to find out where they are coming from.
Lacking fields, walk the transition areas between hardwoods (acorns) to find the runs.

2). Understand when you are on a heavy run and it disappears in the hardwoods you have hit a foreage area and the deer spread out to eat acorns... (excellent ambush site)

3). Corners and Fingers - walk them to see where those runs go in them - you should have already found them via walking the fields / transition areas.
IF you miss hitting one - go investigate it.

4). Mast (acorns) - the good ones follow the place the water was right ... lots of water look high on the ridge, little water the runs shift to the bottoms.

5). Does = runs, bucks use a path 15-20 yards off the run.

6) Figure out the food vs. bedding area... Go out in the morning - they are walking into the bedding area... in the evening they are heading to the food...

7). White oak / Burr Oaks —. If you see one mark it - Deer will go a half mile out of thier way to check for fallen bur oak year, after year...

8). Open hardwood runs vs. thick stuff... if they can’t smell due to wind they take open woods so they can see... no / low wind = thick

9). Very few people hunt more than a half mile in, so deer density there picks up... I use a cart, wear light gear, and put heavy gear in a bag and put it on before I get into my stand.

10). Scrubby cut downs - deer LOVE them...

11). Light rain - Go stalking, walk really slow and you’ll kick up things that “see or smell you” they can not hear year.

12). Spitting - (especially sunflower seeds) - If you want to enjoy the deer less woods (or screw up someone’s stand) just leave a bunch of spit smell...
I took a guy hunting with me 4 years and I would shoot deer, he’d never see one, even when swapping stands.... So I asked him if I could walk with him to the stand and see how he sets up... he was spitting seeds... Next day I said leave them at home and use my stand... Boom.. his first deer.

13). DO NOT touch anything with your hands - use your elbows to push brush out of the way

14)... watch for LOTs of fat squirrels - that’s a food area, go check those out.... same with turkey scrapes.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 10/22/19.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A public thank you to SK for posting those pics. I suppose a little one could rub bigger stuff, but that sure wasn't the case with this guy. I only saw him once and he was R-E-A-L nice. I appreciate all the tips on scouting a new area.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ol_mike

laugh hahaa

Yep, that is some good spit.
Still laughing.

Good luck, Windfall.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tracking a buck in the north woods is the most exciting, rewarding hunting there is... right up there with being on the track of a bull elk in the mountains.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Agreed, and it was how I got my biggest bull elk, but you need the right kind of woods. Back in my youth I read everything I could lay my hands on about tracking and even had Larry Benoit sign one of his books for me. The problem of deer tracking in NE WI. was that they logged it so often that there was a logging road and another deer hunter on a stand up ahead so you tracked "your" deer right into someone else. I saw a statistic that if you had an army the size of all the WI. deer hunters, you would have the sixth largest army in the world!

My other auto is a .45

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N

Something clever here.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (219DW, 1234, 2500HD, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1minute, 56 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,796
Posts18,496,236
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.