OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
.....Was committed against Italians not Blacks. Just saying

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
GG grandpappy Moncure while sheriff here in Bastrop county lost a prisoner to a lynch mob. Whit fellow named Thomas Middleton. 1858. Notorious bad man wanted all over East Texas and parts of Louisiana. He was lynched in an attempt to get him to a better jail than the one here. So it was off to La Grange. They made it about 2 miles outta town. Apparently he had enemies here in Bastrop too.

Noose waiting at big post oak tree. Occurred close to the present intersection of SH 21 and Loop 150. Not far from main gate of Bastrop State park.

And he was swingin’!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 10/22/19.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
41 lynched (some were hung after being "convicted" by a kangaroo court) during the Civil War at Gainesville TX. A relative of mine may possibly have been a victim.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Hanging_at_Gainesville

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Just saying what?

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rush talked about this today on his show. La Cosa Nostra started in New Orleans, not New York City.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I'm just sayin this:

The Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution declared that all born in the United States were citizens, and the Fifteenth that all citizens could vote, regardless "of race, color, or previous condition of servitude." These were regarding as self-destructive mistakes by many white Southerners. Some blamed freedmen for their own wartime hardships, post-war economic problems, and loss of social and political privilege. During Reconstruction, freedmen, and white people working in the South for civil rights, were attacked and sometimes lynched. Black voting was suppressed by violence as well as by poll taxes and literacy tests. Whites regained control of state legislatures in 1876, and a national compromise resulted in the removal of federal troops from the South in 1877. In later decades, violence continued around elections until blacks were disfranchised by the states from 1885 (see Florida Constitution of 1885) to 1908 through constitutional changes and laws that created barriers to voter registration across the South.

Whites enacted Jim Crow laws to enforce blacks' second-class status. (See Nadir of American race relations.) During this period that spanned the late 19th and early 20th centuries, lynchings reached a peak in the South. Georgia led the nation in number of lynchings from 1900 to 1931 with 302 incidents, according to The Tuskegee Institute. However, Florida led the nation in lynchings per capita from 1900 to 1930.[22][23][24] Lynchings peaked in many areas when it was time for landowners to settle accounts with sharecroppers.[25]

There is no count of recorded lynchings which claims to be precise, and the numbers vary depending on the sources, the years considered, and the definition used to define an incident. The Tuskegee Institute has recorded the lynchings of 3,446 blacks and 1,297 whites between 1882 and 1968, with the peak occurring in the 1890s, at a time of economic stress in the South and increasing political suppression of blacks.[26] A five-year study published in 2015 by the Equal Justice Initiative found that nearly 3,959 black men, women, and children were lynched in the twelve Southern states between 1877 and 1950. Over this period Georgia's 586 lynchings led all states.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
38 Dakota Indians were mass hanged in Mankato Minnesota.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
They musta killed them before they hung them. Or got them stupid drunk.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
38 Dakota Indians were mass hanged in Mankato Minnesota.

It was 38 plus 2. Yeah, I'd call that the largest mass lynching in the US even if it was done under the color of law. It was going to be 300, but Lincoln intervened.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I remember my father in law telling us about attending hangings. People came miles to attend he claimed.

IC B3

Toddly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
I remember my father in law telling us about attending hangings. People came miles to attend he claimed.

I’d walk a mile for a hanging.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
It wasn't a lynching,...but they finally got around to hanging Bad Tom Smith in Breathitt county in 1895.

Generally speakin',...a man could shoot anybody that needed shooting at that time in Appalachia. Somebody would usually shoot 'em back if they had enough nerve and the law didn't need to get involved. Bad Tom Smith shot a few. People took it in stride. It *was* "Bloody Breathitt, after all. Shooting each other was more or less considered a regionally approved activity that some people engaged in

Bad Tom got drunk and shot the doctor, however. Doctors were hard to come by. Shoot the doctor and they'll put a string on your neck,..and it would draw a crowd.

People took their entertainment where they found it in 19th century Appalachia. The hanging of Bad Tom Smith was tantamount to the circus coming to town. You know you're a badass when even your tombstone says "BAD TOM SMITH".

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/89881605/thomas-smith

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
A bunch of black soldiers were lynched after an altercation with Houston police in 1917. They were stationed at Camp Logan. I lived there until I was 6 years old.

Last edited by hanco; 10/22/19.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Even some relatively bad men will have, "The Lord Called the Poor Thing Home", or something similar on their tombstone.

But not on Bad Tom Smith's.

It just says, "BAD TOM SMITH"

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Trump loves taking away, and using words that the Leftists claim as theirs and forcing a discussion. Maybe now it will come out that more Democrats lynched Blacks than anybody.

Last edited by reivertom; 10/22/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Based upon my cross section of Italian friends, they may have deserved it.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by reivertom
Trump loves taking away, and using words that the Leftists claim as theirs and forcing a discussion. Maybe now it will come out that more Democrats lynched Blacks than anybody.

I have no doubt that is true. Mostly all black lynchings were in the South and by whites, primarily also KKK. The whites they lynched were usually Catholic, Jews, or Republicans.

Last edited by RickyD; 10/22/19.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Based upon my cross section of Italian friends, they may have deserved it.

Hahahaha! I’m largely Italian, and quite right quite right. Fair enough.

Oh wait, perhaps reparations are in order....

Last edited by Mr_Harry; 10/22/19.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 61 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,179
Posts18,503,250
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.