Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I'd like to hear what the knife people use as their sharpening system and how and why they sharpen the way they do .

I can get a knife or broadhead razor sharp by the edge is gone before i've got a 100lb. hog filleted . I don't try to cut bone or rough-house the edge either .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mike,

I have no dog in this discussion, just going to pass along my experience: I have probably 10 manufacturers hunting knives from makers like Benchmade, Gerber, Buck, SOG, and Cabelas. My best knife ever by far is a custom from Tim Olt that I purchased summer before last. Next best is an older Buck 118 in 440C. Cold Steel has decent factory blades, but a custom from Tim or Godogs will not only look better but stay sharper longer, and probably sharpen up fairly easily for the next task. I would have been money ahead if I'd learned about customs long ago - really doubt I ever go after another factory fixed blade knife.

Bless you, good hunting,
bludog

Last edited by bludog; 10/31/19.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by carbon12
Originally Posted by 458Win
Originally Posted by carbon12
Originally Posted by 458Win

My daily wear knife is either a custom copy of the case built by a friend, or one of the old Gerber minimags. I have worn out half a dozen of those.

What is it about the old Gerber Minimag that you you like? I've one that I bought in the 1970s and only use it as a trout knife. The blade shape and Armorhide handle seem perfect for that chore. Consequently, it has not had hard use since cutting small fish is not much of a challenge for hardened tool steel.

I have worn one virtually daily ever since I returned from Vietnam and they are a useful as a kitchen pairing knife, hold and edge very well, very tough and can be bent almost 60% without breaking or warping and with the Lamb grip fit the hand well and don't slip when wet or bloody.
Plus they were never expensive and as I wore them down they seemed to get better. I have worn out maybe 8 or 10 and am down to my last three.

Hmmmmm.....Seems I may have underestimated the Gerber MiniMag. But then again, as the saying goes; it is archer,not the arrow. Do you use the MiniMag to dress out bears?

Yes, they are great for capeing and removing toes.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I’ve made a lot of knives for folks on here. I’d like to think it was “beauty” that first caught their eye...that’s one of my goals with each knife, certainly. But it goes much deeper than that. Utilizing good steel is job 1 for me. Good steel, heat treated and tempered properly. Only then can you expect to get the best performance from that blade. My most recent personal knife gutted, skinned, quartered an antelope then an elk. I cleaned it up a few days ago and put it away. It was still shaving hair and the edge had never been retouched once. Credit the steel for that ...

Lots of mass produced knives do NOT utilizethe same steel as we knife makers use. Most of it will be foreign (China) made steel. It won’t hold up.

Our handmade knives will certainly run more than the Walmart specials but you get much more for your $ with a handmade knife....some folks are perfectly happy with a Havelon knife. If so, I’m happy for you. But, there’s a pride of ownership experience that you’ll never get to see.

Lots of good makers work shown here....check us out.

i have a friend who makes custom knives. he made a set for my daughter to give to me using wood out of my 100year old house that you couldn't hardly put a nail through. They are beautiful, and they sit in a locked area, too pretty to really use. Same with a bunch of puma's that i always had a graving for. I got cheap knives for use, the good ones are works of art and i treat them as such.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (35, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 10 invisible), 1,468 guests, and 881 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.