Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by mathman
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Well marbled, with little fat left on the outside edge.

I'll take 'em !

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Redneck
Fat is usually trimmed to some degree.. When I buy a beef quarter at the (somewhat) local meat market I specify that the fat's NOT to be trimmed... I'm paying for it anyway - whether trimmed or not - so I have 'em leave it on..

FWIW..

The fat is the best part.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Fat is usually trimmed to some degree.. When I buy a beef quarter at the (somewhat) local meat market I specify that the fat's NOT to be trimmed... I'm paying for it anyway - whether trimmed or not - so I have 'em leave it on..

FWIW..

The fat is the best part.
Exactly....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Fat by volume isn't very heavy compared to muscle. That's why fat guys float really well.
Soooooooo, if Michael Moore ends up in the drink - it's best to cling to him when ya don't have a life vest on? laugh laugh

They could put a flashing light on his head and use him for a marker buoy.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The environmentalists would be up in arms over the greasy slick that would trail from him.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The environmentalists would be up in arms over the greasy slick that would trail from him.

Nah.

They'd just think it was a dead walrus.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
[Linked Image]

1.97 beef result... Dennis and I are accompanying DARBY on his deer hunt in Tonto Basin this weekend... hope they like it spicy.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gus
as an aside i love the way the marketing has shifted from loving grain fed corraled beef versus good ol lean west texas grass fed stuff.

even locally, they promote grass fed as so much more tasty than grain fed.

i guess we have to adapt, and roll with the blows.

The fat profile in grass fed beef is different from feed lot beef. Like wild game, it's less saturated and therefore has a lower melting point. Our bodies need the higher levels of mono-unsaturated fats that grass fed beef (and fish and wild game) contain. A nice benefit is that the fat from grass fed beef doesn't coagulate at body temperature, so it doesn't coat your tongue (and taste buds) when you are eating. That high melting point of feed lot beef is the reason there's A1 steak sauce on every restaurant table: the acid cuts the fat off the taste buds so you can actually taste the beef.

Anyway, there's finally some science in nutritional recommendations, and grass fed beef and dairy have much healthier lipid profiles, allowing the marketeers to use that argument to sell, sell, sell!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I think you're missing the real reason for A1 on the table.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Horseshit.

Next you will tell us that buffler is more healthy.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by Gus
as an aside i love the way the marketing has shifted from loving grain fed corraled beef versus good ol lean west texas grass fed stuff.

even locally, they promote grass fed as so much more tasty than grain fed.

i guess we have to adapt, and roll with the blows.

The fat profile in grass fed beef is different from feed lot beef. Like wild game, it's less saturated and therefore has a lower melting point. Our bodies need the higher levels of mono-unsaturated fats that grass fed beef (and fish and wild game) contain. A nice benefit is that the fat from grass fed beef doesn't coagulate at body temperature, so it doesn't coat your tongue (and taste buds) when you are eating. That high melting point of feed lot beef is the reason there's A1 steak sauce on every restaurant table: the acid cuts the fat off the taste buds so you can actually taste the beef.

Anyway, there's finally some science in nutritional recommendations, and grass fed beef and dairy have much healthier lipid profiles, allowing the marketeers to use that argument to sell, sell, sell!

The irony in that is back through the mid '70s - '80s and early '90s, grass fed beef was advertised as "budget" beef and priced as such.

It's been my experience that the fat of wild whitetail deer must have a very low congealing point too as when I've got some in a bite I had to drink something warm to get rid of the already congealing grease slick it left inside my mouth.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
They didn't have to take the time and expense of finishing them on corn at the lot.

5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch
...The fat profile in grass fed beef is different from feed lot beef. Like wild game, it's less saturated and therefore has a lower melting point. Our bodies need the higher levels of mono-unsaturated fats that grass fed beef (and fish and wild game) contain. A nice benefit is that the fat from grass fed beef doesn't coagulate at body temperature, so it doesn't coat your tongue (and taste buds) when you are eating. That high melting point of feed lot beef is the reason there's A1 steak sauce on every restaurant table: the acid cuts the fat off the taste buds so you can actually taste the beef.

As is the case with any and all food-related advertising.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
They didn't have to take the time and expense of finishing them on corn at the lot.

Of course there is some truth to that.

Feedlots are actually....sort of fast and cheap in some ways.

A true "Grass Fat/Finished" animal is an expensive animal.

Most of the critters sold as grass fats were not finished in the proper sense....they were just allowed to reach a certain age and weight and then butchered. Never having seen the feed lot.

To truly finish on grass (forage) is very time consuming and expensive. You need that animal on an increasing plane of nutrition all the time....never once going backwards.

To plan all that, have the acreage, precip, and expense of stockpiling-planting forage is quite a task!

Most of this "grass fed-fat-finished" nonsense is just that....nonsense. Like IPA beers. IPA beers are fugging terrible....but you are shunned if you say you dont like them.

Very few people have ever truly eaten a "grass _______" animal.

I am MAGA.
5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
... Feedlots are actually....sort of fast and cheap in some ways.
Most of the critters sold as grass fats were not finished in the proper sense....they were just allowed to reach a certain age and weight and then butchered. Never having seen the feed lot.
To truly finish on grass (forage) is very time consuming and expensive. You need that animal on an increasing plane of nutrition all the time....never once going backwards.
To plan all that, have the acreage, precip, and expense of stockpiling-planting forage is quite a task!
Most of this "grass fed-fat-finished" nonsense is just that....nonsense. Like IPA beers. IPA beers are fugging terrible....but you are shunned if you say you dont like them.

Very good post - "Look, the emperor has no clothes!"

Last edited by 5sdad; 10/31/19.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Of course there is some truth to that.

Feedlots are actually....sort of fast and cheap in some ways.

I'm going to disagree on the IPA comment. Of course I was drinking IPA long before it was trendy, and before a profusion of not so well balanced Johnny come lately entries hit the market.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
It has become sort of a perverse arms race among brewers to produce the most outrageous IPA.

No doubt there are some good ones out there. Schit...I can drink a little scotch now...never could before. And is good stuff too....Cutty Sark.......

My point is that most of the beef that gets sold as Premium....healthy.....grass finished.....good for the environment...blah blah blah.....is just marketing wank.

When someone says "science has shown".......generally not.

A truly Grass Finished beef is a treasure to behold. The taste and texture of such a beef is equal in quality in every way to a premium grain fed animal. Its just different!

Thats what's so sad about all this marketing wank. The producers that are turning out such animals are lost in the heap of animals that have simple never been to the feed lot. The profit is in marketing and GUILT....not quality.

Whole different animal.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It seems the further ones is from the pasture , the easier it is to convince them how much better "grass finished" beef is, most have no clue that weather and precipitation control the quality of the grass that is available at this time of year, the snow interferes with us this time of year.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It has become sort of a perverse arms race among brewers to produce the most outrageous IPA. I've seen that trend for a while.

No doubt there are some good ones out there. Schit...I can drink a little scotch now...never could before. And is good stuff too....Cutty Sark....... Not so sure about Cutty being the good stuff. grin

My point is that most of the beef that gets sold as Premium....healthy.....grass finished.....good for the environment...blah blah blah.....is just marketing wank. I don't doubt you.

When someone says "science has shown".......generally not.

A truly Grass Finished beef is a treasure to behold. The taste and texture of such a beef is equal in quality in every way to a premium grain fed animal. Its just different! A while back while visiting friends in Fort Worth I picked up some strip steaks labeled as such and they were indeed fabulous.

Thats what's so sad about all this marketing wank. The producers that are turning out such animals are lost in the heap of animals that have simple never been to the feed lot. The profit is in marketing and GUILT....not quality.

Whole different animal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Horseshit.

Next you will tell us that buffler is more healthy.

It's naturally lower fat, but that's about the only inherent difference. You can manipulate buffalo, beefalo, cattle, wagoo (or however you spell that), even elk or deer through feed.

JIm is right on the money. There's grass fed and grass finished.

"Grass fed" is a trade marked marketing term. You can look up the definition and what you are allowed to feed and not feed. You can't feed trit, for example, unless it is cut before it goes to seed. Now, a dough-stage trit silage (or hay), is a fabulous, FABULOUS part of a finishing diet, but you wouldn't be able to market it as grass fed. Leave it to the do-gooders to go all pharisee on a good thing.

One of these days, I need to trademark the term "grass finished", and do a little marketeering myself....

Personally, I prefer alfalfa finished elk and deer. It is outstanding.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (12344mag, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 1100mag, 23 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,268
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.