Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The wife and I just moved into a new house. It has a 3 car garage. I haven't measured it; but, I speculate it to be about 25'x30'. I love my wife. She informed me she wants it to be heated. Hesitantly, I agreed. Anyway, we are starting the search so I would like recommendations from others here. What have you used? What do you recommend? Based on negative experiences, what should I avoid? Thanks in advance.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am thinking about heating my garage as well, only mine is a 2 car. I have the option of natural gas and the line is right outside the garage so I'm going to start there, but given my breaker box is in the garage I could run a 240v as well.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
In our 3 car garage I had a Mr heater natural gas radiant heater installed in two opposite corners. Got them from Menards. Northern Tool & Equipment also carries them. Like them so far. Much better than anything forced air in my opinion.
Two 40,000 btu units mounted as close to the ceiling as specs allow. Model MH40NG.

Last edited by ruffcutt; 10/30/19. Reason: Added info

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
100000 btu mr. Heater ceiling mount would be my choice.

I am MAGA.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
First thing I would do is make sure it's insulated and sealed at least as well as the house. I'd also make sure no carbon monoxide or other dangerous fumes have a way to exit the premises. Get those taken care of and the heating source isn't as big a concern.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Heating it for what reason?

Because you want to be comfortable changing your own oil? Does she change the oil or swap out the brake pads?

Or, I don't like to be cold going from the heated cocoon of the car to the heated cocoon of the home?

Would a kerosene/diesel 500,000 kbtu salamander do for those brake jobs? That's what me and mrs slumlord use. Try to get the job done before you get dizzy and your eyes start burning.

If just for no real reason, what about a gas or propane overhead radiant heater?

Or that much square ftg, maybe a separate hvac zone, 1-1/2 ton gaspack.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First off what heats the house? Assuming its an attached garage an extension of your home heating system to the garage might be easiest and cheapest. Our place has a natural gas boiler with modern 'radiators' for lack of a better term in every room of the house. The garage is plumed with one of these units which works great. I keep the heat way down in the garage ~ 45 degrees just enough so it doesn't freeze as the doors have about zero insulating value (wood).

Last edited by Salty303; 10/30/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have had a Modine in my garage for 14 years. Changed out a thermocouple once. My gas bill went up 18.00 a month after I installed it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Get a couple wood burning heaters!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
Because you want to be comfortable changing your own oil? Does she change the oil or swap out the brake pads?
Or, I don't like to be cold going from the heated cocoon of the car to the heated cocoon of the home?
Would a kerosene/diesel 500,000 kbtu salamander do for those brake jobs? That's what me and mrs slumlord use. Try to get the job done before you get dizzy and your eyes start burning.
If just for no real reason, what about a gas or propane overhead radiant heater?

For my wife, she wants the warm and comfy car and the warm move to the heated cocoon you mentioned. The ancillary benefit to me is working on the motorcycle, the boat, the truck, the tractor and just spending time out there scratching myself with nobody else around. Ya, I can do it in the ten degree garage; but, if the wife really NEEDS it, I'm in. Outdoors is number one. Outside the house in the garage is one of the next best things.

To answer another relevant question, the house is heated by both forced air gas and hot water heat. The hot water heat is not the sub-floor stuff they put in nowadays. The house is 28 years old and that hot water heat runs through baseboards.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 10/30/19.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco
Get a couple wood burning heaters!

Don't forget to have the wife cut, and carry the required wood!

whistle

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Originally Posted by slumlord

For my wife, she wants the warm and comfy car and the warm move to the heated cocoon you mentioned. The ancillary benefit to me is working on the motorcycle, the boat, the truck, the tractor and just spending time out there scratching myself with nobody else around. Ya, I can do it in the ten degree garage; but, if the wife really NEEDS it, I'm in. Outdoors is number one. Outside the house in the garage is one of the next best things.

To answer another relevant question, the house is heated by both forced air gas and hot water heat. The hot water heat is not the sub-floor stuff they put in nowadays. The house is 28 years old and that hot water heat runs through baseboards.

Sounds very similar to our set up. I'm thinking it would be worth a call to someone in the business and see what it would set you back to extend a water line off the boiler set up into the garage and go that way. Like I said back there that's what we've got it works good. I've got a 20x20 garage with two very small base board style units just like in the house. If that's a bust some good other gas options mentioned here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do they salt the roads in the winter in your location? If so, parking a car with road salt on it in a warm garage really accelerates the rust. Of course, if you buy new vehicles often it won't matter.

Or you could make sure your vehicle has a military grade aluminum body.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by watch4bear
I have had a Modine in my garage for 14 years. Changed out a thermocouple once. My gas bill went up 18.00 a month after I installed it.

Same here in an insulated shop.

Bought a used one off craigslist from a guy in GF. Every so often they have to replace heaters in building at Malmstrom so I got a nice, reasonably new unit for a couple hundred dollars.

Put in a propane tank because we don't have natural gas.

Montana MOFO
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That Modine unit is the way to go!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

My shop garage....steel framed.......insulated.......30 deep 50 long

R19 ceilings & walls.......came with steel garage package

walls beefed up.....4x8 rigid insulated sheeting 3/4" thick

then framed a 2x4 wall against that.....then added R13 rolled batting

Then sheeted it over with 1/2" OSB (wafer)...heat......the only way to go

NG radiant tube heater....this is 'U Tube type' (extendable) vents out north wall

Keep thermostat set about 68* all winter......2 insulated roll up doors/one walk through

Gas bill currently runs $63/month for house & garage..but just added NG stove in basement

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

another pic.......

enough space for two Tacoma's......Teryx SxS....Chevy 2500HD......storage...benches.......tools

small beer fridge.......even an ole washing machine for dog beds....old towels etc......

another must......2' high stemwalls......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by watch4bear

That's the best choice.
Using ceiling fans helps too.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Modine are great units,they also have a "Hot Dawg" line which is very versital in mounting,and smaller profile.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Modine Hot Dawg, 60,000 BTU, natural gas powered heater, in my 25' X 50' shop. Had it for 6 years now. Love it. I seriously thought about going wood, because we have unlimited access, but I'm so glad I didn't. Very nice to go out to the shop 20 minutes early and flick the heat on, comeback, and go work in 60 degree temps. Especially when outside, its in the teens.

With a temp comfortable work space you'll spend way more time there and enjoy it. You won't regret heating the garage, if you like working in it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

182 members (3333vl, 450yukon, 264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 24 invisible), 2,067 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,886
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.