Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The Ruger AR15 will accept pretty much any "mil-spec" part. It's the AR-10 platform that has issues. AR15 parts are pretty much entirely interchangeable. The MPR isn't in mil-spec configuration but you could make it that way if you wanted. But it's better just the way it is. Only part that might not be mil-spec is the receiver extension (aka buffer tube) as they don't mention what type it is.

It's a great value regardless.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With so many Milspec copies and wannabe's I just haven't looked at the Ruger at all. My learning curve is more like a straight line nowadays. Aero Precision and Ballistic Advantage with Tool Craft BCG's have been my go to parts recently. But, I do want to build a 6.8 upper. What used to be Black Hole Weaponry is now Columbia River Arms has my attention but their prices are a bit steeper than some of the others. I'm wanting a light weight truck and ATV rifle and I'm liking their 16" light weight barrels. I know the 6.5 Grendel is all the rage but I'm not feeling it. I still want the 6.8. But, I'm not done looking yet. kwg
https://columbiariverarms.com/custom-barrel-configurator/configure/20825/

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I hear ya. There are lots of AR component makers out there. Some are great, others not so. Aero and BA are pretty good. I think they're owned by the same company/owners/whatever. I like Toolcraft as well.

If you want to put together a 6.8 I highly recommend AR Performance (ARP). Here's their link:
https://www.ar15performance.com/6_8_barrels

The owner has been working with the 6.8 from very early on. His barrels are second to none. I'd buy a barrel and bolt combo from him and call it done. In fact, the combo is less than the price of just the barrel from many manufacturers.
I did do business with Black Hole several years ago on a .308 build. The barrel was nice but it took forever to get it and they didn't even offer a matching bolt even though they said one was coming .
I just bought another brand (which I'm not fond of) and went on with my life. Not sure if they've improved after becoming the new company but I'm not going to worry about it. I'd just go with ARP or Bison Armory.

In fact, I've got a used ARP 16" barrel with bolt I'll be parting out soon. I've got one gentlemen interested so far and am waiting to hear back from him.

I'm going to try an 18" 6.8. We'll see.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Something to be aware of with the Ruger is that not all of their parts follow milspec AR dimensions. Not all aftermarket parts will fit.

No firsthand on this, but I've read it over and over on forums, and AR parts online retailers.

Not an issue at all if you never intend to start swapping parts around.

I believe that is correct on the standard models, something about the delta ring, but that is not an issue with the freefloated mpr

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Have the 204 turned or fluted and knock a bit off the length and recrown is one option

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ruger. The guy and company that helped ban the AR15 in the 90s. Now selling em left and right and folks are nuts over them.

Grudges. I am still holding on best I can. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by BigNate
I'd say a lot depends on actual use.
My "hunting AR" is a 16" 5.56 with a 1:8 twist. I've used 64 BSB,65 Win PP, and have 77gr and 75gr waiting to try. For hunting deer and antelope etc a dedicated AR15 in 6.5 Grendel, would be tough to beat. The new .350 Legend shows promise, and there are others. The two I mention specifically are less expensive to buy ammo for but have a bit more performance than the 5.56 if you think you need more.

You can get a complete upper, ready to snap on for $350.

6.5 Grendel for $350

That's a deal right there. Needs a Trijicon 56mm on it.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Rock River Arms makes very good AR's. They guarantee 1 MOA for the standard A4 and 3/4 MOA for the target A4. They are very popular among High Power Rifle competitors.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
White oak armament 18" barrel

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Something to be aware of with the Ruger is that not all of their parts follow milspec AR dimensions. Not all aftermarket parts will fit.

No firsthand on this, but I've read it over and over on forums, and AR parts online retailers.

Not an issue at all if you never intend to start swapping parts around.

Montana Marine is correct,

I personally would not bother with a Ruger since there are so many manufacturers out there that build rifles that are within spec.

Aero builds a very nice product, as does, FN, Colt, and BCM

1/7 and 1/8 are the 2 top choices for twist. I would not go with a barrel longer than 18"s and a profile larger than a standard A2.

BTW, You can buy a truly superb upper for your existing rifle and you might be more satisfied.

For a 16" gun, i would look at a mid gas, for an 18 I would want a rifle length. Not an absolute deal breaker if they are not, but that would be my preference if building from ground up. If you are buying a barrel, I would strongly suggest White Oak Armament.

I have used more than 20 on builds for myself and others. Every single one has been uniformly excellent. They are worth the wait. I believe I still have 2 under my bench for future builds.

Your bolt is important. Don't cheap out there. Same with triggers. I used to run Geissele triggers, but Larue MBT triggers are 90-95% as good at 1/2 the cost, so that is the direction I would go these days if building for someone/myself.

There are a few tricks to assembling the uppers that go beyond the typical slapping things together/ typical ewetube videos. It depends on the level of accuracy you want. If you really want to maximize accuracy, and you have purchased a high quality barrel like a WOA barrel,I suggest truing your upper receiver. With proper equipment (and knowledge) it is not hard.

There are lots of things you can do to make a true tack driving machine, and one that does not weigh 12 pounds. I have lighter weight guns that will consistently shoot groups that are typical of heavy barrel guns, but they took some time and pennies to achieve.

This is a sample target of a White Oak barrel with the first rounds fired. I expected that it would shoot better as the barrel was broken in, and the shooter reported that accuracy was excellent. Note there are no "cherry picked" single groups here. The square is one inch. The average ended up being (if I recall, it has been a while) a little under .5 moa with MK 262 Mod 1, which is what the end user would be using.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I think you might be better off just buying an upper built to your specs.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (222Sako, 160user, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,291 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,278
Posts18,486,771
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.