Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dutch
In all these discussions it’s good to remember that today’s meat isn’t the meat of 1,000 years ago, and today’s fruit and vegetables aren’t anything like they were a millennium ago.

Suggesting that we change “our” diet to something like the Mediterranean diet is foolhardy unless you also change the foods consumed to traditionally, often back yard, grown vegetables and animals.

No, you just have to buy or grow fresh vegetables and fruits and eat game meat. Easy Peasy. Foolhardy is believing otherwise.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Yea, it sure is not simple. What I am doing is to simply report that as I look into all those things more and more I am changing my diet to reflect my new knowledge. I would like for everyone to try to learn for themselves what their diet needs to be. Unfortunately way too many people choose based on a cherry picked study because it supports what they want to keep eating,or even eat more of. We live in the age of people who want to manufacture their own truth.

So basically you are converting others to your new religion.

Yes. Exactly he came here to prosthelytize. I am thrilled for his accomplishments, but the science he has bought into is half baked. It's strikingly similar to the man-made global warming warriors.

Yea,if you want to call encouraging people to learn how to eat healthy a religion,then I'm guilty.

Do the research yourself. Look into all the actual science rather than just blindly accepting a cherry picked short term study that upholds your beliefs,and your opinions might change. You have to start with an open mind though, and I suspect very few will,because very few people actually want to change.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
No matter what is posted, a batch of haters will come outta the woodwork.........no matter WHAT is promoted.. Best wishes RHC..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Redneck
No matter what is posted, a batch of haters will come outta the woodwork.........no matter WHAT is promoted.. Best wishes RHC..

The vegan slant is not the problem, the "I am right and you are all stupid" is.

It is the same mind set the gay lobby has, "accept what I say and do what I want".

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
How do you dismiss all these other studies as cherry picked?

I am MAGA.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Simple, same as every true believer does.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

I appreciate that buddy. My very best to you and everyone who has encouraged me to change over the last year. I wish the best to everyone here.

I doubt anyone here will completely give up meat and dairy long term including myself. I'm not even 100% sure that would be healthy. I am 100% sure that there are huge problems with the meat and dairy sources we are currently consuming and that we just blindly continue for many reasons.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

It is the same mind set the gay lobby has, "accept what I say and do what I want".

Show me one time where that was MY attitude. Rather THAT is the attitude of anyone who has told me that I'm wrong.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Lay some facts on us about the meat and dairy we eat.

Alternatively....lay some facts on us about the vegetables.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

Show me any long term study of a large group that has concluded that the current meats and dairy we consume is healthy?

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Show me one time where that was MY attitude. Rather THAT is the attitude of anyone who has told me that I'm wrong.

Wrong no, you proselytising yes.

Once again, you are preaching.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
But it is evident that you will not stop, and it is also obvious that you believe that all should do as you say.

Not "hey fellas this is what worked for me"...more a "if you don't do this you are stupidly ignorant".

Screw you.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Show me any long term study of a large group that has concluded that the current meats and dairy we consume is healthy?

Did you watch the Netflix documentary What the Health?

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Wrong no, you proselytising yes.

Once again, you are preaching.

Sounds like it's been a while since you've been preached to. This ain't preaching.

For me, I think the healthiest diet is keto. It's also the hardest to do consistently, and the one that requires consistency the most.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

Just read a big one published by Yale.

It went on to say that pretty much eat as well as you can afford. Fruits, vegetables, grains meat and dairy.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

Just read a big one published by Yale.

It went on to say that pretty much eat as well as you can afford. Fruits, vegetables, grains meat and dairy.

Send me a link if you can.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
It'll have to be later when I get to a PC.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I haven't studied anything but I have read some things. I do know that my stomach differs quite a lot from a ruminant's. I think we were built to be able to digest a lot of different things. I also think we can benefit from a healthy diet of meat, vegetables and dairy products as long as we eat moderately and don't overdo. The problem with modern man is we tend to over eat. We have access to far to many unhealthy junk foods. We tend to not get enough exercise. In other words we live a lifestyle that leads to being overweight.

We can each have a lifestyle that fits our own needs and works for ourselves. There isn't a set plan for everyone. Roy found something that works for him and that's great. It's up to us all to find that thing that works for us. It is more of a lifestyle thing because it's not just about loosing the weight. It's more about how to keep it off once you've lost it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Looks like RH doesn't want to answer the question about the vegan documentary What the Health? I suspect it is because he clings to it, as so many do, as the gospel. Whether he clings to it or not, its assertions are in line with mainstream vegan mentality. Since he has avoided posting links to any of the "science" that he has bought into, we'll assume that it's the same as that in What The Health.

I Googled "What The Health Documentary" Half the first page hits debunked the junk that is mainstream vegan "science."

This does a good job of calling BS on it. https://www.vox.com/science-and-hea...the-health-documentary-review-vegan-diet

This does as well.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...ood-science-in-the-movie-what-the-health

This from Wiki:

The documentary has drawn criticism from many, including scientific skeptics, who contend that it misrepresents facts:

On July 3, 2017, medical doctor and founder of Turntable Health, Zubin Damania, acting in his ZDoggMD persona, reviewed What the Health on his YouTube channel. Damania agreed with the documentary's assertion that a diet heavy in processed food was associated with negative health effects[17]:0:50 and that the Food and Drug Administration sometimes offered "stupid nutrition recommendations" regarding recommending a uniform solution for everyone.[17]:9:35 However, he also commented in detail on what he characterized as frequent confirmation bias and cherry-picking of selected data, as well as the oversimplification of complex health issues and rampant misinformation which he observed in the documentary.[17]:5:40 He also highlighted what he saw as the ridiculous claim made of "institutionalized racism" on the part of the dairy industry.[17]:9:00 Damania concluded in exasperation: "that was the stupidest [expletive] thing I've ever seen... I feel like I've lost [expletive] brain cells".[17] Joel Kahn, a cardiologist featured in the film, responded to ZDoggMD's video via a Medium article titled "Why ZDoggMD and His Toilet Humor Are Best Flushed and Forgotten".[18]
On July 11, 2017, medical doctor and scientific skeptic Harriet Hall, known as the SkepDoc, reviewed the documentary on Science-Based Medicine. Her opinion was summarized as follows: "What the Health espouses the fairy tale that all major diseases... can be prevented and cured by eliminating meat and dairy from the diet. It is a blatant polemic for veganism, biased and misleading, and is not a reliable source of scientific information." At the end of her article she concludes by asserting positive aspects of a plant based diet with "There are undisputed health advantages to a plant-based diet ..." and "We as a society should eat more plant foods ..." but counterpoints this with "... the evidence is insufficient to recommend that everyone adopt a vegan diet" and "we needn’t entirely reject all animal foods". Finally, she recommends moderation in all things.[19]
On July 20, 2017, emeritus professor in nutrition Martijn Katan from Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam called the film "propaganda", which exaggerates the health risks of meat, eggs and dairy, and rather dangerously claims veganism prevents or cures just about any disease, like cancer or diabetes. However, he stressed that everyone should eat less meat than the population currently does on average, and that going completely vegan can be a healthy lifestyle if you make sure you get all nutrients you need (though this is hard to do for young children, for whom he did not recommend a vegan diet) and it's also good for the environment.[20]
Sarah Berry, Lifestyle Health Editor for The Sydney Morning Herald commented that "What the Health does make some valid points including concerns about the influence of Big Food on dietary recommendations and about poor farming practices, which can be both inhumane and bad for the planet," adding that "The makers cherry-pick science, use biased sources, distort study findings and use 'weak-to-non-existent data ...'" Berry quoted Dr. Joanna McMillan as saying that "To me it's the usual product of those who are filmmakers and not nutrition scientists or trained in any aspect of medicine or science, therefore not trained or qualified to make sense of scientific research."[21]
In a review of the film, investigative journalist Nina Teicholz on DietDoctor.com praised the filmmakers' skills of persuasion, but concluded that the film's claims are not backed by scientific evidence.[22]
On August 8, 2017, writing for Quartz, Chase Purdy said that "By cherry-picking nutrition studies to make rickety claims, the makers of What the Health risk ratcheting up fear of certain foods based on weak science. It’s not a responsible way to try and change people’s behavior, and it does a disservice to nutritional scientists in the field."

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Looks like RH doesn't want to answer the question about the vegan documentary What the Health? I suspect it is because he clings to it, as so many do, as the gospel. Whether he clings to it or not, its assertions are in line with mainstream vegan mentality. Since he has avoided posting links to any of the "science" that he has bought into, we'll assume that it's the same as that in What The Health.

I Googled "What The Health Documentary" Half the first page hits debunked the junk that is mainstream vegan "science."

This does a good job of calling BS on it. https://www.vox.com/science-and-hea...the-health-documentary-review-vegan-diet

This does as well.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...ood-science-in-the-movie-what-the-health

This from Wiki:

The documentary has drawn criticism from many, including scientific skeptics, who contend that it misrepresents facts:

On July 3, 2017, medical doctor and founder of Turntable Health, Zubin Damania, acting in his ZDoggMD persona, reviewed What the Health on his YouTube channel. Damania agreed with the documentary's assertion that a diet heavy in processed food was associated with negative health effects[17]:0:50 and that the Food and Drug Administration sometimes offered "stupid nutrition recommendations" regarding recommending a uniform solution for everyone.[17]:9:35 However, he also commented in detail on what he characterized as frequent confirmation bias and cherry-picking of selected data, as well as the oversimplification of complex health issues and rampant misinformation which he observed in the documentary.[17]:5:40 He also highlighted what he saw as the ridiculous claim made of "institutionalized racism" on the part of the dairy industry.[17]:9:00 Damania concluded in exasperation: "that was the stupidest [expletive] thing I've ever seen... I feel like I've lost [expletive] brain cells".[17] Joel Kahn, a cardiologist featured in the film, responded to ZDoggMD's video via a Medium article titled "Why ZDoggMD and His Toilet Humor Are Best Flushed and Forgotten".[18]
On July 11, 2017, medical doctor and scientific skeptic Harriet Hall, known as the SkepDoc, reviewed the documentary on Science-Based Medicine. Her opinion was summarized as follows: "What the Health espouses the fairy tale that all major diseases... can be prevented and cured by eliminating meat and dairy from the diet. It is a blatant polemic for veganism, biased and misleading, and is not a reliable source of scientific information." At the end of her article she concludes by asserting positive aspects of a plant based diet with "There are undisputed health advantages to a plant-based diet ..." and "We as a society should eat more plant foods ..." but counterpoints this with "... the evidence is insufficient to recommend that everyone adopt a vegan diet" and "we needn’t entirely reject all animal foods". Finally, she recommends moderation in all things.[19]
On July 20, 2017, emeritus professor in nutrition Martijn Katan from Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam called the film "propaganda", which exaggerates the health risks of meat, eggs and dairy, and rather dangerously claims veganism prevents or cures just about any disease, like cancer or diabetes. However, he stressed that everyone should eat less meat than the population currently does on average, and that going completely vegan can be a healthy lifestyle if you make sure you get all nutrients you need (though this is hard to do for young children, for whom he did not recommend a vegan diet) and it's also good for the environment.[20]
Sarah Berry, Lifestyle Health Editor for The Sydney Morning Herald commented that "What the Health does make some valid points including concerns about the influence of Big Food on dietary recommendations and about poor farming practices, which can be both inhumane and bad for the planet," adding that "The makers cherry-pick science, use biased sources, distort study findings and use 'weak-to-non-existent data ...'" Berry quoted Dr. Joanna McMillan as saying that "To me it's the usual product of those who are filmmakers and not nutrition scientists or trained in any aspect of medicine or science, therefore not trained or qualified to make sense of scientific research."[21]
In a review of the film, investigative journalist Nina Teicholz on DietDoctor.com praised the filmmakers' skills of persuasion, but concluded that the film's claims are not backed by scientific evidence.[22]
On August 8, 2017, writing for Quartz, Chase Purdy said that "By cherry-picking nutrition studies to make rickety claims, the makers of What the Health risk ratcheting up fear of certain foods based on weak science. It’s not a responsible way to try and change people’s behavior, and it does a disservice to nutritional scientists in the field."

Paul,I didn't post any links because I didn't want to turn the discussion into a "look at this" argument. there's plenty of data to look at on either side of the argument. I don't even want an argument. I just hope everyone will search the truth for themselves. That's what I am doing and the only thing I am encouraging anyone to do.

I will say that I think anyone would be an idiot to look at only a few sources and make a decision that changes their life.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

678 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 16gage, 74 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,520
Posts18,530,673
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.